Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

"Flight cancelled" but not actually cancelled?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2024, 6:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, United Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche

Hi everyone,

I'm due to fly to JFK tomorrow (May 2nd) on BA177.

When logging into my BA account and scrolling down to the "upcoming flights" section, I see the following message, indicating that the flight is cancelled:

However, upon checking MMB, I could check-in as normal, and it now says I'm checked in without any issues. I have the traditional "We are flying you to New York" message, rather than a flight cancellation message.
The BA flight status app itself is saying that the flight is delayed by ~1hour, but not cancelled (here).

Is it therefore reasonable to believe that the above message displayed in the "upcoming flights" section is incorrect, and the flight is going ahead tomorrow? Should I call BA to make sure?

If it is indeed cancelled, I want to make sure I rebook to an alternative flight quickly, as I have to manage a seperate-ticket connection in JFK (I booked LHR-JFK with avios...)

Thank you!
Old May 1, 2024, 6:58 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, A3*S, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold
I've had the same thing happen on my last two BA trips last week as well.
Just an IT quirk as far as I can tell.
Hennebou and adrianlondon like this.
Old May 1, 2024, 7:02 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Yes, it is just an IT glitch. There have been half a dozen reports of this in recent weeks, including someone who didn't go to the airport. Hence they were deemed as no-shows. BA did rebook them.
Old May 1, 2024, 7:07 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Yep don't worry. I had the same on a flight back from Lisbon recently which went on time without any issue. I was in the lounge pre-departure at that point. No issue at all, but it's hardly a helpful glitch.
Hennebou likes this.
Old May 1, 2024, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by Hennebou
Hi everyone,

I'm due to fly to JFK tomorrow (May 2nd) on BA177.

When logging into my BA account and scrolling down to the "upcoming flights" section, I see the following message, indicating that the flight is cancelled:

However, upon checking MMB, I could check-in as normal, and it now says I'm checked in without any issues. I have the traditional "We are flying you to New York" message, rather than a flight cancellation message.
The BA flight status app itself is saying that the flight is delayed by ~1hour, but not cancelled (here).

Is it therefore reasonable to believe that the above message displayed in the "upcoming flights" section is incorrect, and the flight is going ahead tomorrow? Should I call BA to make sure?

If it is indeed cancelled, I want to make sure I rebook to an alternative flight quickly, as I have to manage a seperate-ticket connection in JFK (I booked LHR-JFK with avios...)

Thank you!
This is a bug which happens whenever there is disruption to your flight. It's a bug in the code - if you look at the raw JSON being returned by the API for that section of the site, it doesn't say cancelled - they're just misreading the response. It's pretty scary message though!
Old May 1, 2024, 7:13 am

Programs: BA Silver, AF Ivory
Yup, I has this on a short haul recently to AMS, another charming IT problem
Hennebou and adrianlondon like this.
Old May 1, 2024, 7:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, United Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche
Thank you, everyone!
Super helpful. Love this community
Old May 1, 2024, 9:00 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
I had the same message recently and took a screenshot for posterity in case it was a glitch. I was surprised that Flighty hadn't alerted me to the cancellation and the BA app still showed it operating normally (albeit a bit late). It's not a great look for BA!

This was my one.

Old May 1, 2024, 10:04 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
BA's wonderful IT!!
I wonder if someone is writing a book about it?
Old May 1, 2024, 10:47 am

Programs: AA EXP and Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Ancient Observer
They were, but it was cancelled.

Or was it?
Old May 1, 2024, 10:48 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Ancient Observer
BA's wonderful IT!!
Sounds like a job for Heracles...
Old May 1, 2024, 12:55 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat for Life, ex BD Gld (RIP)
The malaise seems to be spreading. Mrs Superscot had the same thing happen to her on Saturday when trying to check in for a domestic AA flight the next day.
Old May 1, 2024, 2:00 pm

Could be worse

Also today when checking in for LGW-VVR. But Mrs FB13 says not as bad as being woken up to message 'brace brace we are landing on water' when asleep at 35000 ft over the Northern Territory .
Old May 1, 2024, 2:03 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
I also had this on a recent flight back from AMS, even after checking in online. It's very unhelpful to have to re-verify against flightradar24, the airport departure information, and Expertflyer to convince oneself that the flight is still operating.
nilsfr69 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.