Search

First timer Business Class questions

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2024, 4:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, HH Diamond
First timer Business Class questions

Good Morning,

I am looking at booking a return from Dublin to Muscat in July after positioning from Heathrow with BA.

I am BA Gold/One World Emerald, is it correct when going through the booking process that there is a charge of £104 for the seats from and to Dublin?

Also, I thought as the DOH to MCT legs were in First (A) that this would grant me access to the Al Safwa lounge both ways, however, it is offering the option to pay £130 to gain access, if I do not take this option, would I still get access to Al Safwa thanks to the First Class sector from DOH to MCT.

Apologies for the questions if the answers are obvious

Thanks
Paul
Old Apr 24, 2024, 5:37 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
if you are BA gold then seat selection will be free

do not do the booking logged in to a QR account

if you are not logged in you will be given an option to add your FF number

It may be that your status does not get picked up till you have made the purchase so you may need to go back into the booking after you have the PNR, provided that your BA number is correctly in the booking
aphro likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by scottishpoet
if you are BA gold then seat selection will be free

do not do the booking logged in to a QR account

if you are not logged in you will be given an option to add your FF number

It may be that your status does not get picked up till you have made the purchase so you may need to go back into the booking after you have the PNR, provided that your BA number is correctly in the booking
Thank you for the response..... I was logged in to QR site, has my Avios etc from BA but wanted to do the charge, will log out and carry on..... I assume I do not select the pay for lounge or will this option vanish as well once my BA Number is added in?
Old Apr 24, 2024, 9:06 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
It really depends on the fare booked. If you have a look in manage my booking at your long haul flights and if it shows P then it is Business Lite which means no lounge access and no Al Safwa. Any other code J, C, D, I or R is fine for lounges. Any lounge access on a P fare will be with your BA Gold card and that translates to the Qatar Platinum South lounge or the Platinum and Gold lounge North.

If it is a P booking, it usually lets you pay upto Al Mourjan in advance but I don’t believe you can pay into Al Safwa on a lite fare.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 9:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Neilgcal
It really depends on the fare booked. If you have a look in manage my booking at your long haul flights and if it shows P then it is Business Lite which means no lounge access and no Al Safwa. Any other code J, C, D, I or R is fine for lounges. Any lounge access on a P fare will be with your BA Gold card and that translates to the Qatar Platinum South lounge or the Platinum and Gold lounge North.

If it is a P booking, it usually lets you pay upto Al Mourjan in advance but I don’t believe you can pay into Al Safwa on a lite fare.
Thank You.

At this stage I have not yet booked. The Dublin flights are R class Business Classic and the DOH to MCT First is I believe A Class fare
Old Apr 24, 2024, 9:21 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by Big5Darts
Thank you for the response..... I was logged in to QR site, has my Avios etc from BA but wanted to do the charge, will log out and carry on..... I assume I do not select the pay for lounge or will this option vanish as well once my BA Number is added in?
While you are logged it will see your QR status based on your QR account and will not offer (the the best of my knowledge) an option to change the FF number, hence why you are seeing the pay for seats pay for lounge etc.

re paying for lounge disappearing, it depends what you are buying. if you buy Y or business lite then you can still purchase Al Mourjan access

not sure how easy it will be yo use you avios if logged out

you may need to book logged in and then find a way to change the FF number after you have booked, perhaps on the AY site
Big5Darts likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Thanks for your help

Now can book with no seat charges and there are no offers for purchasing lounge. Confirmation of R and A class so all good.

Just waiting for my Girlfriend to confirm the dates she can fly and will get this booked. £2,011 return for me from Dublin, seems great value in comparison to booking from Heathrow which is £4,276 for same dates. Granted not Q Suite from Dublin, but that seems never to be a guarantee for any flight from what I read. Looking forward to trying Qatar out for the First Time.
scottishpoet and aphro like this.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 11:32 am

Programs: QR PC, BA EC, KrisFlyer
£2,011 return for me from Dublin, seems great value in comparison to booking from Heathrow which is £4,276 for same dates. Granted not Q Suite from Dublin, but that seems never to be a guarantee for any flight from what I read. Looking forward to trying Qatar out for the First Time.
LHR is almost guaranteed to be Qsuite (unless it's A380) but I don't think it's worth an extra £2k compared to those 788 J seats from Dublin. You'll also get access to the East lounge at DUB, which is probably the best lounge at DUB although it can get quite busy (because it's small) and it's nowhere near the standards of a QR premium lounge (which is available at LHR and CDG).
aphro likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 2:05 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Thanks for your help

Now can book with no seat charges and there are no offers for purchasing lounge. Confirmation of R and A class so all good.

Just waiting for my Girlfriend to confirm the dates she can fly and will get this booked. £2,011 return for me from Dublin, seems great value in comparison to booking from Heathrow which is £4,276 for same dates. Granted not Q Suite from Dublin, but that seems never to be a guarantee for any flight from what I read. Looking forward to trying Qatar out for the First Time.
Have you considered positioning to MXP? QR J fares to MCT from about £1650, which should save you about £300 compared to DUB once you take into account the additional cost of the positioning flight.
aphro likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2024, 1:21 am

Programs: Meh
Thanks for your help

DUB-DOHA is on 787-9 and the seat is very good for a 7 hour flight. You sure 2011 (Euro surely originating from Dublin) is R class? Seems very low not to be the lowest fare.
Old Apr 25, 2024, 5:05 am

Programs: AA Platinum for Life (2MM), BR Gold, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Just FYI I recently flew purchased business, no status on Qatar but status on Alaska equivalent to OW Sapphire (so not even as high up as you). Was able to book seats for no charge, and had full access to lounges in Qatar.
aphro likes this.
Old May 3, 2024, 3:04 am

Programs: BA Gold, BA Amex, Flyingblue Silver
I am booked to travel later this month to DUB-JNB with the outbound legs DUB-DOH-JNB booked in Business lite P.
I am OW Emerald and was able to book seats for free.
I will check out the Lounges available to me as OW Emerald. I assume in DUB that will be the regular T1 lounge?
Then in DOH it will be the Qatar Platinum South lounge or the Platinum and Gold lounge North.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.