Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Seating advice for the E/F middle on Club Yin-Yang

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2024, 4:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA CK, AI Platinum, BA Gold, EK Silver

Dear all,

Flying back to London on a 777 this coming Friday, I had selected the most wonderful window seat in the private suite Club mini-cabin (rows 5-7, just behind First). However, there has now been an aircraft switch and while it’s still a 777, the interior layout has moved to a 2-4-2 “yin-yang” configuration and I have been moved to a middle “E” seat.

Flight is completely rammed, so can’t move anywhere else (aisle or window). The flight is also an overnight one.

As a lone flyer, I’ll be sharing this cosy middle seat with someone else - what have been people’s experiences here? I suppose everyone will just nod off once the plane takes off, but still, I am worried about the awkwardness of the whole thing.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 4:36 am

Programs: BAEC
What’s the route and flight no? Someone can check the seat map for you.
PETER01 and Antarius like this.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 4:38 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Bring some flowers and a box of Milk Tray. You might get lucky.
Antarius and crazy8534 like this.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 4:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Urgh, it is pretty dire as a loan passenger sharing the E/F. I like it when travelling with someone. Let us check the seat map incase there's any blocked seats. Also, check in but don't download boarding pass until the last 2/3 hours before flying to you can change seats if people cancel / misconnect etc
Old Apr 24, 2024, 5:06 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by ratechaser
Bring some flowers and a box of Milk Tray. You might get lucky.
If you end up next to me one day, can you make it Celebrations instead and you can keep the flowers
nanneboy likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 5:09 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
If you end up next to me one day, can you make it Celebrations instead and you can keep the flowers
Just as long as you don't nick all the mini Bountys!
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 5:17 am

Programs: BA (LTG), Miles&More (whatever the lowest level is), Oyster card (zones 1-2)
This happened to me a few times, usually when I was op-upped. Honestly it’s completely fine. A quick smile and a hello, and you can gauge whether the other person is going to be good company or want to keep themselves to themselves.

When I wanted to put the screen up (assuming the other person hasn’t done it first) I would always say something like ‘I am going to put the screen up now, is that ok?’

Really nothing to worry about and no awkwardness at all.
Red L, HIDDY, dodgeflyer and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 5:21 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by ScruttonStreet
This happened to me a few times, usually when I was op-upped. Honestly it’s completely fine. A quick smile and a hello, and you can gauge whether the other person is going to be good company or want to keep themselves to themselves.

When I wanted to put the screen up (assuming the other person hasn’t done it first) I would always say something like ‘I am going to put the screen up now, is that ok?’

Really nothing to worry about and no awkwardness at all.
I think the OP means they're in an E middle seat on a 2-4-2 configuration and there's only a very small divider and still very close to the person in the other middle seat (F)
Old Apr 24, 2024, 6:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA CK, AI Platinum, BA Gold, EK Silver
Originally Posted by PETER01
I think the OP means they're in an E middle seat on a 2-4-2 configuration and there's only a very small divider and still very close to the person in the other middle seat (F)
Yes, the E middle seat on the 2-4-2 config - with a next-to-nothing divider between the two seats. My wife and I have gone a few times on it and it’s perfect for couples, but for a lone flyer? Well, I guess I’ll just have to put up with it - flight appears rammed solid (the 262 on Friday morning).
PETER01 likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 6:15 am

Programs: BA (LTG), Miles&More (whatever the lowest level is), Oyster card (zones 1-2)
Originally Posted by PETER01
Sorry if I wasn't clear. Yes, that is the situation I was referring to, 'sharing' the middle pair. The overall point I was trying to make was that it really isn't that big a deal. In economy we are sitting next to people we dont know almost every time!
Traveller 935, PETER01 and HIDDY like this.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 6:16 am

Definitely looking pretty full. Currently only 1 seat available for sale in F so likely that there might be some spare seats there so may be worth asking about changing seats at checkin in the hope that there have been aan upgrade or two. You may even be lucky yourself.
PETER01 likes this.

There are 5 blocked seats on BA262 on Friday, 3 of which are not E/F middle seats. 15 A/K in particular would be a good option given direct aisle access. As above, check in but don't download the boarding pass and keep checking for these blocked seats to open up and move to.

PETER01 and rockflyertalk like this.
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

It's very full. Rows 10-13 fully occupied. 5 blocked at rear of cabin. Maybe OLCI ASAP but don't download your BP until as late as possible and see if anything opens up elsewhere.

Fingers crossed!!

RUH 12:35a → LHR 5:35a
F1 A0 J1 C0 D0 R0 I0 W2 E0 T0 Y2 B0 H0 K0 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0 G0
Old Apr 24, 2024, 6:17 am

Programs: SAS Gold, Hilton Diamond, OWS
Originally Posted by Red_01
Yes, the E middle seat on the 2-4-2 config - with a next-to-nothing divider between the two seats. My wife and I have gone a few times on it and it’s perfect for couples, but for a lone flyer? Well, I guess I’ll just have to put up with it - flight appears rammed solid (the 262 on Friday morning).
15 A, J and K seems unoccupied but blocked. Good idea to keep an eye out for any unblocking or people changing flights.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 6:26 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
It's also possible with the aircraft change and seating re-assignment you will find a couple or other pair of travelers have become separated and might be willing to swap into the two middle seats - will require a bit of savvy on board and being very diplomatic (so as not to offend your otherwise intended seatmate) but you never know you might find your seatmate has been separated from their travel companion, who is willing to swap with you...

I agree the two middle seats is a bit awkward as a lone traveler on an overnight flight - the seats are at quite close quarters and especially in bed mode I find it find for a partner or family member but would be quite weird with a total stranger

And it's not really the same as being next to a stranger in economy / WTP - the seats are hemmed in - with the screens either side up and both passengers in "bed" mode it's quite a snug and private little set-up and would be just weird with another passenger there - especially getting up in the night for the loo etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.