Wiki Posts
Search

Confused person at T5A

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2024, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: Ba Exec club
Confused person at T5A

Boarding a flight to Jersey at A15, I was at the gate, had just had my boarding card checked and was walking towards the jetway when someone waiting at the adjacent gate asked me in accented but fluent English if I was going to Jersey and I confirmed I was. 'Newark in Jersey?' he asked, 'no Jersey channel Islands'. 'New Jersey?' he persisted, 'no just Jersey'. 'Jersey USA?' 'No, just jersey, Old Jersey'. I would have held the queue up if I'd explained any further not that I could make it any clearer whatever I said.

If he'd been heading for Newark I could understand him being concerned he was at the wrong gate. But he was at an A gate himself, so why would he care? He wasn't making conversation out of curiosity he was talking as though he needed to know and anyway I was was walking past him not just standing about. Some kind of intentional distraction? but from what?
Old May 5, 2024, 12:03 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire, Easyjet Flight Club
Perhaps they booked to Jersey, CI instead of New Jersey by mistake ?

Budapest instead of Bucharest, anyone ?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/t...t-booking.html
SPN Lifer, wrp96, SxMan and 3 others like this.
Old May 5, 2024, 12:08 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by mmogdan
Budapest instead of Bucharest, anyone ?
There but for the grace of God. San Jose, Manchester and others...
Old May 5, 2024, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Ba Exec club
From where they were standing I took them to be waiting for whichever flight went from A16, but it's a thought.
Old May 5, 2024, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
I suspect he was travelling to EWR, but had followed the gate number for your flight to JER.
VSLover, wrp96, mmogdan and 1 others like this.
Old May 5, 2024, 12:16 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I've told this anecdote before, but I was once on an airside bus from T5 to T3 and I noticed the person near me had a boarding pass for a domestic flight from gate 3. I managed to get Special Services to ferry them to the right place.
dddc, BA or bust, so3003 and 9 others like this.
Old May 5, 2024, 12:26 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Many years ago, I was on the North - South transit in LGW and a lady asked me whether we were on the train to Brighton. It wasn't clear how long she had been going between North and South but we managed to get her to the railway station.
Old May 5, 2024, 12:27 pm

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by Genius1
I suspect he was travelling to EWR, but had followed the gate number for your flight to JER.
kind of funny/unfortunate for anyone caught up confusing JER with NJ...and from the looks of it BA do have a 1540 to JER and a 1630 to EWR.
Genius1 and Flythe96flag like this.
Old May 5, 2024, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I've told this anecdote before, but I was once on an airside bus from T5 to T3 and I noticed the person near me had a boarding pass for a domestic flight from gate 3. I managed to get Special Services to ferry them to the right place.
I get confused a lot, especially when I have to spend an extended amount of time in T3.
Airports are just a massive stress situation anyway for most people, so you can't be surprised by people occassionally going to the wrong continent or indeed sitting in the wrong (my) seat. Airport staff have seen every one of these mess ups before multiple times and will do the best they can to sort it no matter how lame brained you have been. Like I said, there but for...
simonsmith, wrp96, DaveS and 1 others like this.
Old May 5, 2024, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Bet he bought a cheap fare and made booked the wrong destination.
mmogdan and SxMan like this.
Old May 5, 2024, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by Can I help you
Bet he bought a cheap fare and made booked the wrong destination.
I recall that when Ryanair launched its new service to Chile (!), with promotional fares at a bargain £1.99, passengers were surprised to find themselves in Spain, at a very different Santiago
jmd, DeathSlam, SxMan and 2 others like this.
Old May 5, 2024, 1:51 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Wasn't there a chap who thought he had booked to go to Sydney Australia and ended up in Sydney in Canada ?
BA or bust, arf04, gcuk and 4 others like this.
Old May 5, 2024, 2:24 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL
A long while ago (this was I think the days of paper tickets) I booked (or so I had thought) SFO->PDX; PDX->JFK->LHR. However, the agent (VS I think) had booked SFO->PDX; PWM->JFK->LHR (that's Portland Maine, not Portland Oregon). I turned up at PDX and found the airline I'd been booked on didn't even fly from the airport. They acknowledged it was their fault but I needed to pay the fare difference (I should have pushed on that one I think, but I've learnt a lot in 20+ years), and I ended up on a later TATL back.
scolbath likes this.
Old May 5, 2024, 2:27 pm

Programs: BA Exec Silver, Aeroplan, Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by TheOldMan
Wasn't there a chap who thought he had booked to go to Sydney Australia and ended up in Sydney in Canada ?
That has happened more than once.
wrp96 and Flythe96flag like this.
Old May 5, 2024, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by Robert279
I recall that when Ryanair launched its new service to Chile (!), with promotional fares at a bargain £1.99, passengers were surprised to find themselves in Spain, at a very different Santiago
I nearly did this Santiago error myself!
The only proper mess up I've done like this was booking a hotel on the east coast of the US in the wrong town with the same name. (In my defense they were only about 50km from each other)
When I got to the hotel and we figured out what had happened they were so used to it that my reservation was changed in a few seconds.
BA or bust and Robert279 like this.

Last edited by DeathSlam; May 5, 2024 at 2:40 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.