Flightaware says 737-700.
Seatguru layout doesn’t match.

3 rows of “first”.
4 rows of Comfort+
No partitions or curtains.
No mid-cabin lav.
No seatback screens.
No power ports.
Exit rows all have 3 seats on each side.
Old May 9, 2024, 12:28 pm

Programs: UA silver; Wyndham platinum; OneKey platinum; Choice Gold
Perhaps a 737-900 73R?

https://www.aerolopa.com/dl-73r

Seatguru is very much out of date.
aww3583 and hhdl like this.
Old May 9, 2024, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Lost_Luggage_in_SEA
Perhaps a 737-900 73R?

https://www.aerolopa.com/dl-73r

Seatguru is very much out of date.
That looks like it. Good find!

I’d always through the 739s had the newer interior. Absence of any partitions is new for me, too.
Old May 9, 2024, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

DL purchased second hand ex-Lion Air 739s --
737-900ER Configuration
DenverBrian and ryw like this.
Old May 9, 2024, 12:50 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by aww3583
ATL-PNS 5/9. DAL1470.

DL App says 737-900.
Flightaware says 737-700.
Seatguru layout doesn’t match.

3 rows of “first”.
4 rows of Comfort+
No partitions or curtains.
No mid-cabin lav.
No seatback screens.
No power ports.
Exit rows all have 3 seats on each side.
That's one of the old Lion Air 739s.

The last one I rode on had the seatback screens, but they weren't yet enabled.
Old May 9, 2024, 1:19 pm

Programs: Delta DM / 4MM; HHonors Diamond
Yup, the Lion Air birds are ... unique to say the least. I've had the chance to be on them several times in the last few weeks. IFE is INOP with stickers on each seatback stating such. Large space behind first before C+ seats and a weirdly placed jump seat at the mid cabin door, right side. No real closet up front. All sorts of strange stuff. They are re-doing the interior of these, and I'm sure the schedule exists somewhere on FT. Otherwise, it's a 737-900.
Old May 9, 2024, 2:15 pm

Programs: DL DM
If you check the master 737 mods thread here on FT you’ll find lots of info about the 73R and 73J variants that DL introduced over the last few years. In short, these birds were purchased because of DL’s knee-jerk reaction to Covid where they got rid of all their MD88-90 fleet and left them extremely short on aircraft, particularly those used on short haul routes ex-ATL. These non-standardized 737s operate a ton of short haul routes out of ATL and the occasional medium-haul route. They are slated to one day be configured to match the existing 739 config, but my prediction is DL will never do this as they have yet to make any attempts to do so, and friends of mine at DL in flight ops say it will likely never happen has well, or at least until the interiors absolutely dictate it.
emma dog and strickerj like this.
Old May 9, 2024, 5:19 pm

Flew on one ATL-IND May 3rd.
Old May 9, 2024, 6:10 pm

I flew one of these a couple weeks ago SAV-ATL. The lack of bulkheads, even the little fake ones was strange. The bins looked smaller, but that could be lack of the bulkheads. Also, seat upholstery was similar, but different. The Delta Comfort+ stitching looked rushed and messy. Overall, it gave an impression of counterfeit to me.
Old May 9, 2024, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
That version is flying only short routes ex-ATL, IIRC, possibly in an attempt to not freak out too many pax.

I'd take 10A or 10F on that bird in a heartbeat. Essentially, unlimited legroom. THREE windows!
Old May 9, 2024, 8:25 pm

Programs: DL Plat, 1 MM; SPG LT Plat (RIP); Marriott LT Titanium; Fairmont Plat (RIP), DL Kryptonium Medallion
I thought there was only one row of C+ on the LionAir planes (the first row with near-infinite legroom) because the LionAir planes were all coach, and Delta did the bare minimum changes to the seats.
Old May 9, 2024, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Spent_All_My_Miles
I thought there was only one row of C+ on the LionAir planes (the first row with near-infinite legroom) because the LionAir planes were all coach, and Delta did the bare minimum changes to the seats.
There are two variants. The 73J only has one row, while the 73R has four -- https://www.delta.com/us/en/aircraft/boeing/737-900er
Old May 9, 2024, 8:39 pm

Programs: UA silver; Wyndham platinum; OneKey platinum; Choice Gold
There are many who post to this forum who know far more than I do but my understanding from TPG:
https://thepointsguy.com/news/delta-...ng-737-cabins/
is that both the 73J (with one row of C+) and the 73R (with four rows of C+) are ex-LionAir. I realize that TPG isn't necessarily a reliable source of information so I welcome corrections from people who, unlike me, have an actual knowledge of the subject.

(sigh, I'm just too slow)

Last edited by Lost_Luggage_in_SEA; May 9, 2024 at 8:42 pm Reason: not quick enough
Old May 9, 2024, 11:15 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by GagaPilot
If you check the master 737 mods thread here on FT you’ll find lots of info about the 73R and 73J variants that DL introduced over the last few years. In short, these birds were purchased because of DL’s knee-jerk reaction to Covid where they got rid of all their MD88-90 fleet and left them extremely short on aircraft, particularly those used on short haul routes ex-ATL. These non-standardized 737s operate a ton of short haul routes out of ATL and the occasional medium-haul route. They are slated to one day be configured to match the existing 739 config, but my prediction is DL will never do this as they have yet to make any attempts to do so, and friends of mine at DL in flight ops say it will likely never happen has well, or at least until the interiors absolutely dictate it.
That would be pretty pathetic if they don’t plan on modifying these soon (and I find it hard to believe). These aircraft cabin scream ULCC (FC on these birds seem like a mock of NKs bare bones Big Front seat) in DL branding. Having such a small F and C+ cabin also seems counterintuitive for DLs “premium” goals. They’ve also been expanding beyond routes of 500 miles or less. I see them scheduled on ATL-MCI and ATL-MKE.
Old May 10, 2024, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Yeah unfortunately DL grabbed these zombie planes and never really did anything to them. I don't even think they have power at seats, or wifi. The 73J is particularly bad with only 1 row of C+ so its going to be a sardine can unless you score an F seat which as a lot more space than a normal F seat... but only 12 in these garbage configs.

Can't believe DL hasn't and obviously isn't going to be updating these. Hopefully with the short flight lengths (used often on atl beach routes) that means the high cycles will push them to heavy D check soon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.