Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Perturbed by an incident at O'Hare when returning a rental car

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2024, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

Perturbed by an incident at O'Hare when returning a rental car

Sorry, not really about United although I was flying United at the time.

On the way back to O'Hare, Chicago in my rental.
Got confused, and also listening to directions on my iPhone.
Accidentally drove into a drive that says Coaches Only.
Within seconds a car come aggressively up behind me, emergency lights flashing.
Digby Security.

Rolls down window and shouts to pull over.
Asks what the hell I am driving aimlessly for. Says I can be cited and fined.
Tells me to follow him to Rental Return, and drives left through a no-left-turn sign.
Eventually takes me to the right place, angrily gesturing.

Me. A bit traumatized.

Can private security really impose fines? I thought that was just police etc.
Old May 9, 2024, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Next time it happens all you need to do is invoke your sovereign citizen rights!
Old May 9, 2024, 2:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by hotscot
Tells me to follow him to Rental Return.....
Sounds like they were pretty helpful: your own personal "Follow Me" car!
Old May 9, 2024, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by narvik
Sounds like they were pretty helpful: your own personal "Follow Me" car!
I agree. I would have (ultimately) appreciated the interaction
Snuggs, TerryK, Marschel and 4 others like this.
Old May 9, 2024, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

I was scared he would shoot me.
Probably went home and beat his wife for fun.
Old May 9, 2024, 3:51 pm

Programs: UA MM, MB LifeTit
You were in a part of the airport where you weren't supposed to be, Maybe he was scared that you would shoot him.
Old May 9, 2024, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...

My little airport has signs in the departure drop off area threatening $50 fines if you park/stop without loading or unloading. The area is patrolled by private security. I assume they are authorized to do that by the real police.

My (former) employer’s private security once gave me a parking ticket for parking in a handicap parking spot. It was a real ticket, to be disputed in court. I had a handicap placard, but that day for some reason forgot to hang it on the mirror.

Originally Posted by EricH
You were in a part of the airport where you weren't supposed to be
Maybe the OP is a coach?

People take the wrong turn every day. Mistakes happen when driving in an unfamiliar environment. I have more than once missed the car rental return exit an an unfamiliar airport because I was in the wrong lane or missed the sign.

Private security often has a bit of an aggressive posture. It’s probably off topic to debate why. But this thread probably would also be better in another forum
Auto Enthusiast likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 9, 2024 at 4:14 pm Reason: clean up before move; thanks for the link
Old May 9, 2024, 4:11 pm

I'm 99.9% certain they are not armed. Years ago the official city of Chicago Airport Security drove around in cars with "Police" painted on the side with red and blue lights and wore uniforms with "Police" on them. They had absolutely zero jurisdiction off the airport and did not carry guns, it was a sore point that they used the police moniker.. This all came to a head with the Dr Dao incident and these same people now drive around with orange lights and "Security" painted on the cars.

Having said all that, this should be in the Chicago thread not United.
Auto Enthusiast and roberto99 like this.
Old May 9, 2024, 4:15 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
.... But this thread probably would also be better in another forum
Originally Posted by worldtrav
Having said all that, this should be in the Chicago thread not United.
agreed and off to the Midwest / Chicago forum this goes

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old May 9, 2024, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Cop-wanna-be’s are the worst! They get all shocked and huffy when they’re arrested.
Old May 10, 2024, 12:04 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, BonVoy Gold, BW Diamond, RR Premium
Frankly, if you were legitimately scared, maybe renting a car in a city like Chicago was not smart anyway. Chicago is a really friendly place, and I am not shocked he helped you instead of fined you. You sound upset instead of glad. I get you may have been scared by the whole situation, but this man actually gave you assistance. Chicago has exceptional public transport. Just take the L if you can. Sure, bad stuff happens there, like any city, but I'm surprised you found someone helping you so upsetting.
JimInOhio and Snuggs like this.
Old May 10, 2024, 5:15 am

Within seconds a car come aggressively up behind me, emergency lights flashing.
Digby Security…

Says I can be cited and fined…

As a general matter, yes, but…

It would have to occur on private property, and they would have to sue you in court to collect if you didn’t pay. If you didn’t pay, the most they could do without taking you to court is ban you from their property. Effectively, if you were on private property, it’s not much different than private parking fines in Scotland, especially with you not residing in Illinois.
Old May 10, 2024, 9:02 am

Programs: SWRR, HH, SM, TSA Pre

I don't think they can in this case. It's owned by the city, not private property. And security at the airports is specifically prohibited from Law Enforcement activities since 2017 when the state board declared they were not law enforcement officers. They probably would have called for an actual CPD officer to come and write the ticket. Whether the CPD officer would have written the ticket is another question. Many wouldn't want to write it for a simple mistake.
Old May 10, 2024, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Most airports worldwide have their own bye-laws; it's not that just "general" traffic rules apply on airport grounds, or that only police can impose such fines there.

Section 10-36-260 (Passenger vehicle driveways and parking stations) of the Municipal Code of Chicago states: Designated employees of the department of aviation are authorized to issue notices of parking violation for, and effect the removal of, vehicles that are in violation of Section 9-92-030 (Authority to impound or otherwise relocate vehicle) at O'Hare International Airport

In this case, I am pretty sure that your Digby Security employee is a "designated employee" in the meaning and for the purposes of the municipal code.
Old May 10, 2024, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by travelingdrsuz
Frankly, if you were legitimately scared, maybe renting a car in a city like Chicago was not smart anyway. Chicago is a really friendly place, and I am not shocked he helped you instead of fined you. You sound upset instead of glad. I get you may have been scared by the whole situation, but this man actually gave you assistance. Chicago has exceptional public transport. Just take the L if you can. Sure, bad stuff happens there, like any city, but I'm surprised you found someone helping you so upsetting.
Chicago used to have good public transport. Now it's a shadow of its former self.
Auto Enthusiast and arollins like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.