Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cars at DTW

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2021, 1:44 pm

One-way? The greeter may not let you take their prized inventory.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 1:48 pm

Programs: DL - Platinum, Hyatt - Globalist, Marriott Gold, National Executive
Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
One-way? The greeter may not let you take their prized inventory.

thought even for one way rentals if you book the aisle you are able to use the emerald aisle? Didn’t give any option to book an suv / minivan etc
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 1:57 pm

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MgoFly
thought even for one way rentals if you book the aisle you are able to use the emerald aisle? Didn’t give any option to book an suv / minivan etc
You probably won't find those cars at DTW on the aisle. Still very high demand here. Book it if you need that size.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 4:21 pm

Damn. No other classes were an option otherwise I would have booked.

Was really hoping for a full size as we’re driving cross country to move (have a small dog other wise would have flown) and really need the cargo space.

fingers crossed very close to executive elite and have a lot of free days saved would happily burn them to upgrade to a full size If they have anything available.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 6:27 am

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
Originally Posted by MgoFly
Driving cross country DTW to SFO at the end of this week… am I better off picking up Thursday or Friday for selection - already have reservation booked for Thursday but looks like I can change it still.

have executive … will be executive elite after this rental…. What is the aisle selection like?

hoping for a full-size SUV… have had great luck lately @ PHX, LAX / SNA with f150 platinum, expedition max limited, Yukon XL’s etc.

what is the situation like at DTW?
you may see some Armadas or similar not in the aisle ... just walk over to one of those and take it ... in my experience you'll be able to take it. (did this in August for a one way DTW-MSP)
Old Oct 13, 2021, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by MarkCron
you may see some Armadas or similar not in the aisle ... just walk over to one of those and take it ... in my experience you'll be able to take it. (did this in August for a one way DTW-MSP)

was scheduled to pick up Friday - but was flying into DTW today so stopped by National ….

lots of Pacifica’s and rav4’s, and Tacoma’s in the executive aisle.

was able to grab an expedition from the suv section after much persuasion… right after they pulled up with a prepped expedition max and decided not to put it on the lot 😡

going to go back tomorrow and see if I can swap since the truck had 10 percent oil life and 17k mile and was due service at 12k….
Old Oct 14, 2021, 8:25 am
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
Originally Posted by MarkCron
Sorry but this is terrible advice. Maybe you got away with it, but I can't count the number of times I've been at this location, watched folks do exactly that, and then have to do the "backup of shame." Best case, they automatically adjust his rate to a (far more expensive) full-size SUV rate.
Old Oct 14, 2021, 8:35 am

Fortunately they let me do this - I asked before hand - very lucky. They let me keep my rate as well.
Auto Enthusiast and Ordpc like this.
Old Oct 14, 2021, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by dwbf11
Sorry but this is terrible advice. Maybe you got away with it, but I can't count the number of times I've been at this location, watched folks do exactly that, and then have to do the "backup of shame." Best case, they automatically adjust his rate to a (far more expensive) full-size SUV rate.
Depends on the location, there are definitely relaxed locations that are pretty lenient.
Auto Enthusiast, kxc262 and Ordpc like this.
Old Oct 14, 2021, 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by wal5036
Depends on the location, there are definitely relaxed locations that are pretty lenient.
Yes, usually when someone asks beforehand. Walking over and taking a vehicle from a reserved class without prior communication simply because you booked a aisle reservation, is the quickest way to do a back up of shame or get a rate hike as dwbf11 mentioned.

Otherwise what's to stop anyone from booking a midsize and helping themselves to anything on the lot. I've never seen any National station that lenient without asking first.
Old Oct 25, 2021, 1:55 pm

Rented from DTW last week. ES had lots of minivans, several Camrys and similar sedans, several RAV4/Rogue and similar small SUVs, a few full-sized pickup trucks, an Infiniti Q50, and an Audi A6 (which I took). EA had various small sedans and small SUVs.

The A6 had over 30,000 miles, but was quite clean and drove really nice.
Old Nov 7, 2021, 5:20 pm

Programs: National EE, Avis PP
Can't seem to upload my photo this time (security token?)

Regardless, many pickup trucks and SUVs in Exec, including a Ram with the HEMI but only one Altima in EA.

Was allowed to take one of the Audi Q5s but gate dragon said no since under 25 (24, really? I've rented Model Ss just fine...).

Ended up taking a Grand Cherokee Limited which costs just as much...
Old Nov 7, 2021, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by Sneeaky
Can't seem to upload my photo this time (security token?)

Regardless, many pickup trucks and SUVs in Exec, including a Ram with the HEMI but only one Altima in EA.

Was allowed to take one of the Audi Q5s but gate dragon said no since under 25 (24, really? I've rented Model Ss just fine...).

Ended up taking a Grand Cherokee Limited which costs just as much...
ya classic German cars they don't let you take even if other cars are the same
Auto Enthusiast and Ordpc like this.
Old Nov 7, 2021, 5:29 pm

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Ijones027
ya classic German cars they don't let you take even if other cars are the same
YMMV - it just depends on the agent. DTW National shares a lot with Alamo, and most employees there don't give a damn about being helpful.
Ordpc likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2021, 8:14 pm

Programs: National EE, Avis PP
Originally Posted by kxc262
YMMV - it just depends on the agent. DTW National shares a lot with Alamo, and most employees there don't give a damn about being helpful.
Yeah this usually has been my experience. I thought of coming back later with a different gate keeper but honestly wasn't worth the effort.
Ordpc likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.