Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IC New York Times Square Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2019, 6:29 am

Programs: IC Dia RA / Marriott LT Plat / WOH Globalist / Hilton Diamond / OZ Diamond Plus
Originally Posted by Daventry
Hi,

I'm considering using a combination of Ambassador free weekend night certificate, points and UK IHG Rewards Card free nights at this property.

If I use the Ambassador certificate to book a room better than the standard one, will they let us keep it for the rest of our stay?

One of the nights would be 31st December... I reckon in this case we may be asked to change rooms?

Thanks,
Nobody knows, but if they're sold out on the day, you're likely be asked to move. You can simply send an email and ask them same room if you want to be sure. They will likely offer you additional charge for it. Since it's 31st of December, I would not gamble.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 10:26 am

Programs: IHG Spire Elite, Ambassador, Inner Circle; Marriott/SPG Gold; Hilton Gold
Last stay here was a mess (July 2019). I'm Ambassador & Spire Elite. Arrive at Noon - no room until 3 pm. Bought me a drink. No upgrade. Got to room, settled in, began some work and then at 5:30, another guest opens the door with a keycard. Seems the front desk gave him my room. We called and then went down to lobby. Got an apology - "not sure what happened, we'll have a manager get in touch, blah, blah." Went back up to room and my key no longer worked, so back down to desk. Still no manager. Went to dinner & returned to hotel. No call from manager and a "form" letter under the door to the gentleman who was issued the room after me. Back to desk. Asked if they were certain who was in room number XXX. They apologized again, two more drinks bought. Asked for manager and desk was "stunned" no one had reached out to me. Finally met manager who was not really all that interested. He claimed to have called my room but left no message. Seriously, why not?!? At least then I might have thought he gave a damn. Finally offered me 70,000 points as recompense (oddly, only received 65,000). Not going back to IC NY Times Square anytime soon. Plenty of other hotels in NYC.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 11:37 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Wow sounds like an awful stay
I had been staying on and off since opening and stopped dead in my tracks
after the scam destination fee started
At its best it was a better than average property sadly to many better choices in NYC
Old Aug 23, 2019, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by Wanderer22
Last stay here was a mess (July 2019)
Agree it does sound like a big mess. However these things do happen and when they do, the way the hotel handles it is most important. Other than the drink voucher and 70,000 points (which buy you a night at IHG's top category redemptions, and up to 3 nights at some properties) what else where you expecting?

I assume you also received 10k points for the lack of an upgrade?
Old Aug 23, 2019, 12:33 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Elite, Ambassador, Inner Circle; Marriott/SPG Gold; Hilton Gold
Accidents do happen and I understood that. The points were fine and received with a thank you, but after 4 different visits to the desk to resolve the various issues, I had to ask to speak to the manager and was told he would find me. Considering how many hours had passed, I doubted he or she would contact me at all. I was expecting a more pro-active approach on their end and a more sincere one. I did not receive points for lack of an upgrade.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Then I would chase them on that. I’m pretty sure the new rules for AMB mean you get points or credit for lack of an upgrade.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
Wow sounds like an awful stay
I had been staying on and off since opening and stopped dead in my tracks
after the scam destination fee started
At its best it was a better than average property sadly to many better choices in NYC
I hate the resort fees as much as the next one. Agree it’s a big scam. Having said that, at least at the IC TS (unlike the other IHG properties in NY that charge it) you get some value for it, like $25 food credit per day, one dry cleaning and a few other things I can’t remember of the top of my head.
FlightNurse likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 12:29 pm

I'm staying here with an IHG free night certificate. Do they charge destination fee or is it completely free like Hilton certificate for Waldorf Astoria if you don't use their parking lot?
Old Sep 20, 2019, 3:13 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador
There's NO destination fee on reward of free nights. I stayed 8 nights in April, starting with Amb BOGO and followed by a mix of 6 reward or free night certificates... only had to pay destination fee on the two Amb BOGO nights.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 9:20 pm

That's the quickest way to never using revenue at the hotel IMHO
Does one still get the breakfast credit on award nights at the IC Times Square as if they paid the destination fee?
At Hyatt you get all the benfits if your elite and you don't pay the destination fee on revenue or award yet still get credits to use in gift shop for food and beverage or whatever the hotel happens to offer^
Old Dec 30, 2019, 4:00 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

IHG Time Square New York City - Best for Its Location

InterContinental - New York Times Square

Map| 4 Reviews | 100% Recommended

300 W 44th St New York, NY US 10036

IHG Time Square New York City - Best for Its Location (30 Photos)

This is our 3rd time staying at IHG New York City Time Square for the holiday season.  The main reason to book the stay is to use up the IHG reward points that we normally do not use with other trips.  

The main attraction of this hotel is its location near Time Square and theatre district.

Location, location and location.  So important in large city like New York City.

IHG NYC Time Square is located at 300 W. 44th Street, between 8th and 9th avenues.  Time Square is about 2-3 blocks to the East. Theatre District is just outside hotel.  Radio City Music Hall, Rockfeller Center, Grand Central are also within walking distance.

IMG_7533.JPG

IMG_7535.JPG

_DSC0329 2.jpg

_DSC0327 2.jpg

Theatre district.

_DSC0389 2.jpg

_DSC0359 2.jpg

Time Square

Check In

Here is hotel entrance, at a very busy street.

IMG_7542.JPG

IMG_7543.JPG

We pulled our vehicle to the Edison EastPark just opposite the hotel.  It has hotel rate, which is slightly cheaper.  It did not take outside vehicle on that day.

The front desk had about 3 groups of guest in front of us.  It was about 5 minutes delay to check in.

IMG_7530.JPG

Time at check-in

IMG_7544.JPG

Front desk in early evening

IMG_7545.JPG

Christmas tree

IMG_7546.JPG

Stinger Bar and restaurant

IMG_7547.JPG

IMG_7548.JPG

IMG_7529.JPG

Elevator hall to guest floors.

As usual, as IHG Platinum member, we never receivd any room upgrade.  I guess to IHG, Platinum is low tier.  It is always hard to figure out the IHG loyalty program.

Room

We have a regular room with two queen size beds.

IMG_7527.JPG

IMG_7523.JPG

IMG_7525.JPG

IMG_7524.JPG

The room is small.  The bed is soft, but is just fine with us.  There is not much view since it is a city hotel.  The chair is old as usual.

IMG_7522.JPG

Mini food and drink area.  No one touches it.  Room service people may be tired to clean them off the dust.

IMG_7517.JPG

IMG_7518.JPG

IMG_7519.JPG

IMG_7520.JPG

IMG_7521.JPG

Its bathroom is so common.  There is only one sink.  The bath tub drains somewhat slow.  Not a huge deal.

Dining

There is only one on-site bar and restaurant, the Stinger Bar and Restaurant.  

1_IMG_7546.JPG

We did not eat there.  There are so many other alternatives very close by.  So and too many.

Gym

The gym is on the 5th floor.

IMG_7551.JPG

IMG_7553.JPG

IMG_7554.JPG

IMG_7555.JPG

The gym is very large and it has full set of equipment.  It was very quiet during our stay.  I figure guests are outside exploring instead of staying in the hotel.  

Service

There is not much service to say.  The front desk staff was efficient, not super warm or friendly.  I figure it is New York style, business as usual.  They did not bother to consider our request for any possible room upgrade.  

We did not dine at the restaurant.  So no comment on dining service.

We also did not call room service.  The drain is a little slow.  But it was just fine.

Overall

The cash rate for regular room during weekend is about $195 or about $267 with fees and taxes included.  The rate is higher during the week.  The rate would be considerably higher during the holiday season.

The point redemption rate can be very high, sometimes like 70,000 points.  With the change to the new IHG credit card, the reward night is capped at 40,000 points.  So we can't use the new reward nights at this hotel.

I really feel mixed about this hotel.  It is at a premium location, close to things people like to do during the holiday season.  But the hotel is old and so average.  It does not have much to offer other than its location and one or two beds.  The IHG loyalists do not get much out of it.

If you get a good cash rate, $200 range is reasonable.  But at 70,000 IHG points, it is a bad redemption.  

The main reason for our stay is to use up the IHG points.  We focus more on other two hotel programs.  We do not see we going to back to this hotel any time soon.

IHG Time Square New York City - Best for Its Location

Would you like to write a review on the InterContinental - New York Times Square?

No, thank you.
Yes
IAMORGAN and not2017 like this.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by RedSun
.As usual, as IHG Platinum member, we never received any room upgrade. I guess to IHG, Platinum is low tier.
It is always hard to figure out the IHG loyalty program.
There is not much view since it is a city hotel. The chair is old as usual.Mini food and drink area. No one touches it. Room service people may be tired to clean them off the dust. Its bathroom is so common. There is only one sink. The
Thank You for the impressive well documented trip report ^
Some focal and data points:
IHG technically & historically has had no elite benefit for IHG Platinum members when staying in InterContinentals.Their other brands absolutely
There is separate recognition program that one must purchase through their Ambassador program to achieve recognition @ IC hotels if one wishes to be reasonably certain of recognition
Or one can do an extraordinary amount of business and be invited as a Royal Ambassador for free.
Some IC hotels still do a courtesy upgrade occasionally from what I hear from other Platinum's
Seems overseas benefits are even stingier on award and revenue in select countries.Considering Marriott Hilton & Hyatt are vastly superior you think IHG would fix this tp remain competitive
The IC Sydney has been the poster child of whats wrong with IHG Rewards/Ambassador across the board for years yet they remain within their rights due to the poorly written out of date guidelines/terms that IHG still publishes

The Inter-Continental TS has a mediocre restaurant buffet for breakfast that some may be happy with but its certainly nothing anyone would go out of their way for
The hotel has a reasonable upcoming renovation planned
Depending on the housekeeping team and floor one is on the room cleaning may be inconsistent based on which housekeeping team is on duty which can happen in many a large hotel
On an upside IC TS has an improved VIP area now for Ambassadors to check in with where the concierge team use to sit.They were very helpful to me
Ambassadors and Royals are pro-actively upgraded without request based on availability
While some IC hotels do upgrade Platinum members unfortunately they are under 0 obligation to do so and those elite members are on the bottom of the priority list technically

The only thing IHG Rewards shares in common with the Ambassador program is that all members may earn and redeem points through IHG rewards and that's where it officially begins and ends
IMHO the IC hotel has slightly improved on my last reward stay as an Ambassador earlier this month.
The room rate was over 400 plus dollars a night plus tax plus destination fee in December so 70,000 points plus a 20% points rebate
made good sense to me for a few nights
Happy New Year tomorrow!
not2017 likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 12:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RedSun
Overall The cash rate for regular room is about $190 or about $220 with taxes included. So it is decent rate for NYC hotel in prime location. The rate was considerably higher during the holiday season.The point redemption rate can be very high, sometimes like 70,000 points. With the change to the new IHG credit card, the reward night is capped at 40,000 points. So we can't use the new reward nights at this hotel.I really feel mixed about this hotel. It is at a premium location, close to things people like to do during the holiday season. But the hotel is old and so average. It does not have much to offer other than its location and one or two beds. The IHG loyalists do not get much out of it.If you get a good cash rate, $200 range is reasonable. But at 70,000 IHG points, it is a bad redemption. The main reason for our stay is to use up the IHG points. We focus more on other two hotel programs. We do not see we going to back to this hotel again.
Thanks for the trip report and photos.
Taxes are more than double what you mention. On a night costing $190 you'll be adding around $70-$75 in taxes and fees. The resort fee still annoys the hell out of me, but at least you get some value out of it at this property.
70,000 points is a lot I agree (it's the same at the Barclays which you might want to try next time as it's newer and fresher (refurbished a couple of years ago), but then Manhattan is expensive for redemptions with the CP TS costing 60,000 points per night, and and some HIXs costing a whooping 45,000 points.

I actually like the IC TS, but as mentioned, you need to be an Ambassador member to enjoy the benefits there. I've never not been upgraded, and at times to one of their nice top floor rooms (which they call suits but aren't really) with floor to ceiling windows in three directions and great views of Manhattan.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 7:16 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by clubman
Thanks for the trip report and photos.
Taxes are more than double what you mention. On a night costing $190 you'll be adding around $70-$75 in taxes and fees. The resort fee still annoys the hell out of me, but at least you get some value out of it at this property.
70,000 points is a lot I agree (it's the same at the Barclays which you might want to try next time as it's newer and fresher (refurbished a couple of years ago), but then Manhattan is expensive for redemptions with the CP TS costing 60,000 points per night, and and some HIXs costing a whooping 45,000 points.

I actually like the IC TS, but as mentioned, you need to be an Ambassador member to enjoy the benefits there. I've never not been upgraded, and at times to one of their nice top floor rooms (which they call suits but aren't really) with floor to ceiling windows in three directions and great views of Manhattan.
We sometimes use the uncapped award night to stay. But we could never develop any relationship beyond annual reward night. We can’t transfer points and points expire in 12 months without CC.

With its RN capped at 40,000, we would only go back if we get any good cash rate. But if the cash rate is as high as you indicated, then there is plenty elsewhere.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 10:46 pm

Programs: UA Platinum; IHG Diamond Ambassador
Anyone have an idea how far in advance this hotel processes upgrades to Ambassador reservations? I check in tomorrow for a 3 night stay and I still see my reservation unchanged from the Superior room I booked, Should I expect a one level upgrade to Deluxe or realistically a double upgrade?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.