Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

TG sets waistline limit for passengers on 787-9 Dreamliners

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2018, 9:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum

Attention obese fellow board members!

from Thai PBS:
Thai Airways International has banned passengers with over 56-inch waistline and passengers with kids on their laps from Business Class seating on its Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner.

The new regulation on oversized passengers was announced by THAI’s Corporate Image and Social Responsibility Division this week.

Flight Lieutenant Pratana Patanasiri, THAI Vice President, Aviation Safety, Security & Standards Department, clarified in the announcement today (March 16) that THAI has taken delivery of two Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner aircrafts to its service fleet since September last year.

He said that the aircraft manufacturer has fixed airbag in seat belt on Business Class seats. With this latest version of seatbelt, passengers with over 56 inches waist could not fasten the belt safely.

Therefore it is necessary for the company to abide by the safety standard rule strictly by not allowing passengers with waistline of over 56 inches and passengers travelling with infants on their laps to book the business class seats of the Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner aircrafts, he said.

THAI insisted that the seat belt meets aviation safety standard required by the US Federal Aviation Administration.

THAI sets waistline limit for passengers on 787-9 Dreamliners - Thai PBS English News
Old Mar 16, 2018, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
I wonder how on earth someone buying a business class ticket will be advised of this requirement?!
What would happen if a large waisted pax in passenger in J on another type gets a swap to a 789?
Old Mar 16, 2018, 11:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
I wonder how on earth someone buying a business class ticket will be advised of this requirement?!
What would happen if a large waisted pax in passenger in J on another type gets a swap to a 789?
good questions!
i guess they will not advise anybody on this and neither measure his/her waiste at check in, but if he/she does not fit into the seatbelt, the passenger will be downgraded to cattle class... aren't 56 inch a lot and quite exceptional?
Old Mar 16, 2018, 11:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
My guess is that the business class seats on this aircraft type have airbags, which are danagerous for lap kids, and cannot accommodate seat belt extenders.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 1:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by BinSabai
good questions!
i guess they will not advise anybody on this and neither measure his/her waiste at check in, but if he/she does not fit into the seatbelt, the passenger will be downgraded to cattle class... aren't 56 inch a lot and quite exceptional?
Maybe downgraded during take-off and landing but the unfortunate pax should be able to return to the C seat midflight where seatbelts are not required, right?
Old Mar 17, 2018, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by SK AAR
Maybe downgraded during take-off and landing but the unfortunate pax should be able to return to the C seat midflight where seatbelts are not required, right?
And then run back to Y if the fasten seatbelt signs is turned on during cruise?

While 56" is a considerable waist size, I don't think that it is that unusual in the western hemisphere. I'd be curious to know what other airlines with airbag fitted does in terms of people needing extension belts....
BinSabai likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 6:57 am

56" is pretty enormous ( if I'm 33" then it close to double my size...wow!). But this is unfair IMO. People of size are often required to pay extra for J because they won't fit in Y seats.
Do we really need airbags in the seat belt? The lap-sash is enough ,I think. In any case the admistration/application of this policy/requirement is fraught.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 10:35 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by paolo64
56" is pretty enormous ( if I'm 33" then it close to double my size...wow!). But this is unfair IMO. People of size are often required to pay extra for J because they won't fit in Y seats.
Do we really need airbags in the seat belt? The lap-sash is enough ,I think. In any case the admistration/application of this policy/requirement is fraught.

As someone who was in a serious vehicle crash where the airbags malfunctioned (one exploded), but the seatbelt worked as designed, this seems like a ridiculous safety measure on an aircraft where crash speeds are likely to be more than twice the fastest highway auto crashes. I just can't see an airbag improving survivability significantly, unless they also place one under your butt to minimize the vertical decleration on your body.

Last edited by zombietooth; Mar 17, 2018 at 10:40 am
Old Mar 17, 2018, 2:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by paolo64
Having flown the reverse herringbone seats on this plane, I think it would be more advisable if someone that size purchased 2 Y seats instead. These seats are cozy (and a great fit for someone of my height/build), but not for someone nearly double my waistline.
HMPS likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 2:07 pm

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
I don't see this having a --pardon the pun-- huge effect on TG's daily ops. There's a difference between measurement at the waistline versus across the bellybutton. While 56" at the waist isn't impossible to reach, it's a bridge afar. Anyone offended by not being accommodated in business class at that size has been accommodated all along and could use a wake-up call. Maybe this will be a positive life-changer for a few flyers in the long run.
chelseastu and nancypants like this.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 8:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Grog
I don't see this having a --pardon the pun-- huge effect on TG's daily ops. There's a difference between measurement at the waistline versus across the bellybutton. While 56" at the waist isn't impossible to reach, it's a bridge afar. Anyone offended by not being accommodated in business class at that size has been accommodated all along and could use a wake-up call. Maybe this will be a positive life-changer for a few flyers in the long run.
really? getting turned down as a life-changer and motivation to reduce weight?
for many at that size it is disease related or they are completely hopeless at any diet
Old Mar 18, 2018, 8:50 am

Programs: Emirates Gold
Personally, I do not think this is an issue, after-all how many people are we really talking about ? The chances of someone being over 56" waist, flying with Thai and on that particular plane configuration must be relatively small surely. As for the comments on the airbags, one assumes that many safety tests have been run and that there is clear evidence that the bags will help in a crash...
Old Mar 18, 2018, 4:04 pm

Programs: Velocity Gold
The bigger story here and the one that is actually going to cause the most issues is that of the infants....not those of size...
Old Mar 18, 2018, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by travelislife
The bigger story here and the one that is actually going to cause the most issues is that of the infants....not those of size...
Infant free business class, that should attract a few travellers from various fora here complaining about infants being allowed in business class.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 8:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Infant free business class, that should attract a few travellers from various fora here complaining about infants being allowed in business class.
they have still two bulkhead seats for bassinets

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.