Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Interlining bags] BA to QR

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2018, 4:15 am
Original Poster

[Interlining bags] BA to QR

Dear all flying on separate tickets BA from LHR to ARN, and then QR to SYD. Can my bags be tagged to SYD at LHR? Thanks
Old Mar 17, 2018, 4:17 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
In that direction definitely not. In the reverse direction probably yes. More information here:
BA no longer through checking baggage with separate tickets
Old Mar 17, 2018, 4:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
In that direction definitely not. In the reverse direction probably yes. More information here:
BA no longer through checking baggage with separate tickets
Thanks for the prompt response
Old Mar 17, 2018, 4:27 am

How long do you have between flights. You need to leave plenty time as if your BA flight is delayed and you miss check-in for your QR flight you may miss your departure and not get any kind of refund, depending on the ticket type.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 4:32 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by mkdoc
Dear all flying on separate tickets BA from LHR to ARN, and then QR to SYD. Can my bags be tagged to SYD at LHR? Thanks
Indeed. How much time between these flights? I'd worry with any less than four hours.

Programs: BA Silver - hard drop from GGL :( SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, AC E50k
And also, BA and QR fly from different terminals at Arlanda... factor in some time for this...

Last edited by LondonCanuck; Mar 17, 2018 at 6:37 am Reason: Spelling AUTO correct from Atlanta :-)
Suspended

Originally Posted by LondonCanuck
And also, BA and QR fly from different terminals at Atlanta... factor in some time for this...
Arlanda even!
WorldLux likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
In the reverse direction probably yes.
In the reverse direction, I would slightly redact as "quite possibly yes but it would be foolish to count on it" because QR flights are handled by QF which tend to play hardballs (like BA) for themselves, which is almost a worse situation to be in than random handling agents. So whether the OP gets a check in agent who is fully aware and confident in QR going above and beyond the OW rules is anyone's guess and it would be risky to assume so.

I second others on suggesting long transit times, especially if the flights are in any potentially 'wintery' period like now! Summer is usually a little bit more predictable but always worth remembering that long delays do happen for all kinds of reasons and OP will be on his/her own if this happens..
Old Mar 17, 2018, 5:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Indeed. How much time between these flights? I'd worry with any less than four hours.
I have just under 5 hours. Is there a bus transfer between the terminals? Thanks
Old Mar 17, 2018, 5:35 am

Programs: BA Gold

I have just under 5 hours. Is there a bus transfer between the terminals? Thanks
The buildings are linked together, so you can walk (all inside) in about 20 minutes.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 5:43 am

Programs: Some

You can walk between the terminals easily if you go landside.

If you check your baggage through then yes, there is an airside bus transfer but it dumps you at the gate for the BA flight, i.e. inside the non-Schengen secure area. I did something very similar to what you are asking about a few weeks ago (MEL-DOH-ARN-LHR, booked on two separate tickets with QR and BA). Managed to get QR at MEL to check my luggage all the way through, but as pointed out above it isn't an absolutely certainty they will do this.

When you disembark from the QR flight at ARN head towards passport control and when you get to the immigration hall where everyone else is queuing for passport control you'll find there is a little bench and security scanner off to the right by a sign for transfers to other terminals. You push a button on the wall to call for the bus and then someone comes to turn on the scanner and put your luggage through a security check. The bus takes you directly to the gate for the BA flight, which means you are then effectively 'trapped' in the gate area and will have to get the attention of someone on the passport control counters to check your details to let you back through into the rest of the airport to be able to use the lounge etc.

Edit: sorry, just realised your question may have related to the other (outbound) direction, if so you can ignore a lot of the above!
Ruth4325 likes this.

Last edited by lost_in_translation; Mar 17, 2018 at 5:51 am
Old Mar 17, 2018, 5:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
You can walk between the terminals easily if you go landside.

If you check your bagage through then yes, there is an airside bus transfer but it dumps you at the gate for the BA flight, i.e. inside the non-Schengen secure area. I did something very similar to what you are asking about a few weeks ago (MEL-DOH-ARN-LHR, booked on two separate tickets with QR and BA). Managed to get QR at MEL to check my luggage all the way through, but as pointed out above it isn't an absolutely certainty they will do this.

When you disembark from the QR flight at ARN head towards passport control and when you get to the immigration hall where everyone else is queuing for passport control you'll find there is a little bench and security scanner off to the right by a sign for transfers to other terminals. You push a button on the wall to call for the bus and then someone comes to turn on the scanner and put your luggage through a security check. The bus takes you directly to the gate for the BA flight, which means you are then effectively 'trapped' in the gate area and will have to get the attention of someone on the passport control counters to check your details to let you back through into the rest of the airport to be able to use the lounge etc.
Am arriving on BA, connecting to QR, but thanks for the advice above
Old Mar 17, 2018, 5:48 am

Programs: Some

Am arriving on BA, connecting to QR, but thanks for the advice above
Yes, sorry, just realised I'm talking about the wrong direction . No chance of BA checking through to QR so my landside transfer point above still applies.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 6:32 am
Suspended

You can walk between them indoors, but you'll have to get your luggage first.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 12:46 pm

I'm in the middle of this exact transfer right now. From the BA flight arriving at the gate, through immigration, baggage reclaim and walking to the QR check-in in terminal 5 took 40 minutes.
flyerkit likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.