Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Press reports "Southwest Airlines kicks father and his toddler daughter off flight

Press reports "Southwest Airlines kicks father and his toddler daughter off flight

Old Mar 17, 2018, 7:00 am
Original Poster

https://www.yahoo.com/amphtml/financ...154859297.html

#southwest #shame #on #you #southwest #airlines kicked a man off the plane with his two year old daughter because she was afraid and not sitting in her own seat.. he asked the lady for a minute to calm her down she walked away and called people to remove him. The baby was already calm by now and sitting in her own seat. Captain then came over intercom to say we will be going back to the gate to handle a customer service issue. They then told me stop filming and this issue did not involve me, and that me and another woman who spoke up will be the next off he plane. The flight attendant then came to tell me be quiet stop talking ( to the person next to me ) no one around me wants to hear about the situation. #Flight1683 #MDW to #ATL ABC 7 Chicago NBC Chicago Southwest Airlines #Michelle was the flight attendant

Last edited by rubystone; Mar 17, 2018 at 7:05 am
Old Mar 17, 2018, 7:04 am
Original Poster

Old Mar 17, 2018, 8:06 am

Once a crew member decides, no change in circumstance will dissuade. Flexibility torpedoes control.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 11:24 am

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
Anyone 2 or older has to be belted in their own seat. If the FA doesn't believe the toddler will stay there or the father may put the child back on his lap after the FAs are buckled in, then I have to side with the airline on returning to the gate on this one.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by Lost
Anyone 2 or older has to be belted in their own seat. If the FA doesn't believe the toddler will stay there or the father may put the child back on his lap after the FAs are buckled in, then I have to side with the airline on returning to the gate on this one.
The child was safely belted in and quiet, as the video indicates. If the FA had reason to believe the toddler wouldn't stay there, you're right. But my guess is the FA requesting the captain return to the gate sealed the deal. What else beside removal could have been justified in paperwork?
Old Mar 17, 2018, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by LegalTender
The child was safely belted in and quiet, as the video indicates. If the FA had reason to believe the toddler wouldn't stay there, you're right. But my guess is the FA requesting the captain return to the gate sealed the deal. What else beside removal could have been justified in paperwork?
I'm having trouble with the sound. Am I right that the video starts after the airplane has returned to the gate?
Old Mar 17, 2018, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by Lost
I'm having trouble with the sound. Am I right that the video starts after the airplane has returned to the gate?
It appears so. Pax who took the video says the child was "calm" and belted in before the return.

"She was afraid and not sitting in her own seat.. he asked the lady for a minute to calm her down she walked away and called people to remove him. The baby was already calm by now and sitting in her own seat. Captain then came over intercom to say we will be going back to the gate to handle a customer service issue." - Alexis Armstrong
Old Mar 17, 2018, 12:22 pm

It appears so. Pax who took the video says the child was "calm" and belted in before the return.
Then the father obviously could've kept the child calm and belted before that, too, but elected not to. Once the decision to deplane someone has been made it will not be changed - and "sorry I just need a few minutes" will not fly when you are preparing for take-off.
Lost and lougord99 like this.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by theddo
Then the father obviously could've kept the child calm and belted before that, too, but elected not to. Once the decision to deplane someone has been made it will not be changed - and "sorry I just need a few minutes" will not fly when you are preparing for take-off.
"Elected not to" is bogus. Those nearby say FA escalated, child then secured and calm, Catch 22 when gate return ordered.
rickg523 and justhere like this.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 12:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
WN was correct here and crew followed their training. Passengers are required to be in their seats and belted from the time the aircraft door was closed throughout all ground operations. Thus, there was already a problem. It's great that the father and child eventually complied, but it was too late.

OP's suggestion that this was "shameful" is simply wrong and ignores basic safety procedures which have existed for 50+ years. Would OP have criticized WN had the aircraft stopped short while taxiing, the child been thrown and injured?

This was 100% on the father.
Lost, TSparky and NextTrip like this.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 12:53 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by rubystone
#southwest #shame #on #you #southwest #airlines [...] #Flight1683 #MDW to #ATL ABC 7 Chicago NBC Chicago Southwest Airlines #Michelle was the flight attendant
Please use more hashtags in your post next time.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 12:54 pm

So what exactly happened before the video starts?

Somehow I have suspicion that the OP is leaving a few key details out...
Ceres and drooley like this.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 1:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
I always have to laugh at the WN FA's telling passengers not to film, not going to happen in this day and age where everyone has a camera phone sweetie.
joshua362, LegalTender and ursine1 like this.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A recent hire from United Express?
DCP2016 likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Since when do measly flight attendants get to be pretend federal judges who step all over the 1st Amendment? Sad to see WN catching the same disease afflicting UA the worst.

Last edited by Kevin AA; Mar 17, 2018 at 1:29 pm Reason: clarity

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.