Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Reservation split by just doing change flight search?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2018, 9:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: Continental OnePass Platinum

I know there is a big thread on auto-splitting in the context of upgrades, so mods, feel free to move this, but I think this may be different enough for a new thread...

Anyway, this morning I did a search for a same day change. My wife, son, and I have a reservation together, leaving tomorrow morning. I have a pet attached to my ticket. On UA.com, I chose to search for a new flight for me and my son. Then, while I was searching---I had not agreed to any changes---I received an email from UA with a new reservation for myself... I had been split off and my wife and son are still together. Upgrades don't appear to have anything to do with it. We are all in economy still. This is seriously annoying for a number of reasons.

The only reasonable explanation is that this happened in response to my initiating a search for a SDC. Otherwise, this is just too much of a coincidence. I wonder if the pet had something to do with it? Is there anything that can be done to glue me back with my son? Argh...
Old Mar 17, 2018, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Yup. This happened to me too last weekend - no dog or kid though. Would be good to see if the change search instability is tied to the weekend schedule change loadings

David
Old Mar 17, 2018, 11:23 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
I also had this issue. Very annoying and I’m checking the reservations daily to make sure the seats arent changed.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 11:50 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by cjermain
.... My wife, son, and I have a reservation together, leaving tomorrow morning. I have a pet attached to my ticket. On UA.com, I chose to search for a new flight for me and my son. Then, while I was searching---I had not agreed to any changes---I received an email from UA with a new reservation for myself... I had been split off and my wife and son are still together. .....
To do the search, if not all on the same PNR are included, the PNR will be split. Since you were looking for flights for just 2, not 3, the system needed to split the PNR. Understand you were just exploring options but that is the nature of PNRs -- you either take the same action (appears that includes speculative searches) on the PNR or it will be split.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
To do the search, if not all on the same PNR are included, the PNR will be split. Since you were looking for flights for just 2, not 3, the system needed to split the PNR. Understand you were just exploring options but that is the nature of PNRs -- you either take the same action (appears that includes speculative searches) on the PNR or it will be split.
Big problem with this: why was I the only one who was split off? The search was for me and my son. This defies any sort of reasonable explanation, since it would mean that doing the search actually causes an action that makes the change impossible (me and my son are magically on different reservations, and he's left with my wife, so we can't make the change anyway).

Originally Posted by DELee
Yup. This happened to me too last weekend - no dog or kid though. Would be good to see if the change search instability is tied to the weekend schedule change loadings

David
Just saw your post. Seems identical to what happened to us.

Aside from all of that, it is not acceptable that a search alters a reservation in such a substantial way, without at least a warning. I understand that to make the change we'd have to split PNRs, but few users would expect that a search would split PNRs, especially in such a messed up way.

Last edited by cjermain; Mar 17, 2018 at 12:14 pm
Old Mar 17, 2018, 12:14 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Big problem with this: why was I the only one who was split off? ....
When doing the change process, you are asked which passengers to include, could you have just selected only yourself
Would you like to change the flight(s) for all people in this reservation?
o Yes, change flights for all people in this reservation.
o No, change flights only for those people selected below:

The change flight tool has a number of quirks and problems --- and may not be the best way to to do speculative investigations especially if only changing for some of the passengers.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

When doing the change process, you are asked which passengers to include, could you have just selected only yourself
It's always possible to make an error, but in this case, the fares quoted were for two passengers, so I could not have just selected myself. There is a small chance that I could have selected my wife and son, I suppose, but it seems just as inexplicable that it would kick the person off of the PNR who was not changing his flight.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 1:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
it seems just as inexplicable that it would kick the person off of the PNR who was not changing his flight.
That's actually the behaviour I'm used to -- the pax changing their itin keeps the PNR, the pax who stay on the original itin get a new PNR.

Concur with WineCountryUA that the "change flights" tool is incredibly buggy and generally best to avoid if you can.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 1:58 pm

Programs: AA Plat
It's always possible to make an error, but in this case, the fares quoted were for two passengers, so I could not have just selected myself. There is a small chance that I could have selected my wife and son, I suppose, but it seems just as inexplicable that it would kick the person off of the PNR who was not changing his flight.
I don't think @WineCountryUA was implying that you made an error. They're saying you meant to select AB, you correctly selected AB, and UA split off A just because they have awful IT.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by sfo789
Concur with WineCountryUA that the "change flights" tool is incredibly buggy and generally best to avoid if you can.
It is certainly quirky, but it’s way better than DL’s for example. I don’t have any recent experience with AA, but it used to be bad too. I have never been done “wrong” by the UA change tool - it works or it doesn’t. Thanks to this thread, I now know to avoid it in cases like this (speculative changes to multi passenger PNRs), but I wouldn’t say to avoid it as a general rule.

So, this is good to know, but no need to go overboard.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 8:52 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT

The change flight tool has a number of quirks and problems --- and may not be the best way to to do speculative investigations especially if only changing for some of the passengers.
Whether for one or two or everyone, there is NO excuse for IT that makes changes to people's reservations w/o their approval like this. This is just bad. There is no reason for such a system other than - just speculating - United's ongoing use of a 30 year old computer system with horrible functionality, all the result of reservation system being Smisiked to save $15M/month.

It is not unreasonable for people to expect that if they check options - something UA offers - it will not dump their old flights/seats. It is also predictable that people whose resevations were changed would be POed. I certainly use the DL app all the time to check options, never had this happen.... And now I am wondering if this was the cause of my reservations with two kids being split the other day, requiring me to stand in line. It did not change my flights, but the system did split us up (although pehaps this was the upgrade system).

Whatever the cause, it is something a decent customer service focused airline would have fixed a long time ago.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Most carriers, except for ones that are brand new, are using really old computer systems, with new overlays on top. Not unique to UA at all. So yeah, these issues tend to happen more often.

As as for the splitting, while I ageee it’s not ideal
at all, one could argue that even when searching using change flights, the intention is to make a change which will split in the end. I’d be unsurprised if the change flights tool can’t actually return the search query without the proper number of people in the PNR, requiring the split.

Not saying the OP did it internationally, but willing to bet they selected the wrong individuals, hence the split of the wrong people. I’m not saying this was intentional on OPs part, but in my experience supporting web sites, including those requiring logins for individual accounts, the errors like this that happened were always some sort of user error. A lot of it was unintentional, for sure, but was still in the end a user error and not the system - some of it really little - like confusing a dash (-) with an underscore (_) in their password which obviously wouldn’t let them access their account, or not reading simple step-by-step instructions to access what they needed.

On the other hand, for UA, I always, rather then using the change flights tool, just price out new flights, at least first. That avoids another big issue with the change tool, where it often inflated the prices for changing an itin vs. a new one, not to mention it often brings up more options. Then you know the base and can use the change flights tool to complete the change if it works, or call in and feed the info. to an agent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.