Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Why can we not book a reward flight for another person on BAEC?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2018, 10:10 am
Original Poster

While I have frequently made bookings for other travelers with my Avios through my BAEC account (online) a friend tells me that she can not do that: The name field is pre-filled with her name and she can not change it.
Have you experienced the same ... do you you know the reason? Is there a work-around?
Many thanks
Old Mar 17, 2018, 10:12 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, HH Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Diamond Elite
She has to add the person she wants to book the flight for into her friends list and therefore needs a HHA, I believe.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 10:33 am

Programs: BA Silver
I had the exactly same problem the other day and was told to add my friend to my family and friends. I did that and was then able to book a ticket for her.

Last edited by Shingi; Mar 17, 2018 at 11:14 am Reason: Typo
Old Mar 17, 2018, 10:34 am

I think the HHA is a red herring. I don't have one and I've booked tickets for others.

You may need to add them to F&F though, I don't remember if I did that.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 10:37 am

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, , Hilton Diamond (from being in a bed), SPG Plat, MR Plat
I have booked many for others and have not added to either HH or FF. Should be a bit in the booking process with a box that says something along the lines of ' is the person paying for the booking travelling?'. Twice when booking HKG-LHR on avios for other people they have double upgrades to club with no status.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 10:42 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, Hyatt Prive, Hilton Impressario, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Roswood Elite, MO Fan Club
Strange. I've booked CX avios flights for my sister and I on BA. She's not on my friends list or HHA.

I thought the advantage of BAEC/avios was that you could book flights for anyone

Edit: I was a traveller on all occasions. Maybe that's why?
Old Mar 17, 2018, 10:46 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
BA will not charge you for a telephone booking if you try and fail to do it on the website first. Just phone and explain the situation to receive this benefit.

The best part is, if you search while logged into the BA website, they can often just see your recent searches, saving the need to explain exact dates and times from scratch!
Old Mar 17, 2018, 12:33 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
If you don't have a HHA you should be able to book for anyone, and there is no need for the EC account holder to be on the booking themselves. You certainly do not have to add them to your Family & Friends list.

If in a HHA I think you can only book for those in your HHA or in your Family & Friends list.
kosy91 likes this.

Last edited by KARFA; Mar 17, 2018 at 2:58 pm
Old Mar 17, 2018, 1:17 pm

Programs: BA, Emirates, IHG, Accor, Marriott, Hilton
Yes if in a HHA just add them to your Family & Friends list
Old Mar 17, 2018, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
See this thread linked in the Dashboard:
Your guide to Household Accounts
From that thread:
Limitations of HHAs
If you set up a Household Account you can only redeem Avios for members inside the HHA plus friends and family specifically added to the HHA, unlike standard account holders who are essentially able to redeem Avios for anyone.
OP if your friend is a member of a household account just have her add the other person to her friends and family list. If your friend is not a member of a household account then do as ESFLYER95 said. Answer the following question "No" and the prefilled info will go away.
Is the payment card holder travelling on this booking? Yes No
Old Mar 17, 2018, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by jerub
BA will not charge you for a telephone booking if you try and fail to do it on the website first. Just phone and explain the situation to receive this benefit!
In general, this ploy only works if there is an actual malfunction whereby the website fails to perform a function that it is supposed to do. If the website was never designed to perform a particular task, then the fee waiver is unlikely. A slight distinction.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 3:33 am
Original Poster

Only a call helped solving the issue. Not sure what the actual problem was.
No it is not a HHA and no ticking the yes/no box did not work to enter another name.
Tickets booked now but wasted hours by trying to solve the issue and holding on the line.
Thanks to everyone trying to help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.