Wiki Posts
Search

Flight from Oslo cancelled - Options?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2018, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Flight from Oslo cancelled - Options?

My flight, BA 0763 from Oslo tomorrow morning 11.40 am got cancelled. BA wants to put me on a flight on Mobday morning instead.

I am currently in Doha right now and will be reaching Oslo tomorrow morning via QR. I have a separate OSL-LHR-LAX J ticket. The luggage has been interlined all the way to LAX.
What are my realistic options:
1. There are no BA flights from Oslo till 8.30pm tomorrow so I understand why BA put me on a flight leaving Mobday morning. This is most probably weather related so no EU261 I suppose. What can I ask BA for if I want to reach LAX as close to my scheduled time? Will they book me via airline - say Finnair via Helsinki? I am OWE but no status on BA.

2. My luggage has been interlined till LAX. And if I have time spend a day in Oslo I will need it as my cold weather jackets are in it. Which airline do I contact? I presume it is Qatar since they have the bags now - is this correct?

Thanks for your help in advance!
Old Mar 17, 2018, 10:46 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
For the second question, I would hesitate to get your luggage out of the system now, if that has already been done. I can see things going haywire doing that. So either think of getting a new jacket (there are shops by and just outside the main station that can assist with this, along with the airport) or stay at or near the airport. I can't see you being able to charge that jacket to anyone, I think that's for your own account. It will struggle to get above freezing point in OSL on Sunday.

You won't get any compensation for this, it is indeed weather related (see main thread) but you do get right of care. In this scenario I would book a hotel yourself since being separate tickets BA would automatically do that. Try to keep the room rate to under £200 if you can, to avoid arguments. On the telephone - assuming you haven't already agreed to other arrangements - they can book you on alternative BA, AA and AY flights but best make a list of options first - and checking the cabin class - before calling up. At OSL they may put you on other airlines, though not SAS services. I guess the other option is to get you to London that same evening, but it would perhaps be more problematic getting a hotel room than OSL (I haven't checked that) and a more leisurely Monday, but that's a personal choice. I would probably do that in your position since there are more options for California from London than from Oslo, but there again Oslo could be a cosy rest point on your long journey.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 10:46 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Is OSL-LAX a BA booking? If so, call BA to make arrangements, the may re-route you on Finnair. Are you able to go to the BA desk at DOH (if it is open)?
Old Mar 17, 2018, 10:52 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
If you have to overnight at OSL, the Park Inn or Radisson at the airport are both fine. I would definitely try and get a new jacket rather than trying to get your luggage back.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 11:16 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the clarifications. So I will not take my luggage back but get all my options sorted before calling BA. I am getting ready to go to the Doha airport and will look for a BA desk there but I am not hopeful that they will be around.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 11:27 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Any chance you can change the QR flight to CPH,PRG,VIE or BUD? They all appear to have operating connections to BA that ought to keep you on track. I haven't looked what BA are allowing though, assuming your ticket isn't flexible.

EDIT: Or LHR of course . I guess you thought of that, and that it tells us its non-flex?

Last edited by EsherFlyer; Mar 17, 2018 at 11:32 am
Old Mar 17, 2018, 11:53 am

Programs: Miles and More, BAEC , QR Privilege, Oman Sindbad, Tufty Club.
Radisson Oslo

Currently sat in the Radisson Blu at OSL for tomrrow’s QR flight to DOH and on to AKL. It is cold here but only a short walk (150 metres from the terminal). All SAS LHR-OSL flights have run today and will tomorrow but based on past BA form on cancelling OSL flights above any other to Scandinavia at the first sign of LHR sleet we swapped out of today’s (now cancelled 768 flight) and came last night instead. Would book a room here quick - seems very busy at reception.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 12:24 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
If it were me I would try to retrieve my luggage once I get to OSL, especially since the BA flights listed on the tag are no longer operating.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 12:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Before doing anything, check the fare of your BA ticket. Among your options is a full refund, permitting you to purchase anything you want. Then speak with QR at DOH and see whether it will reroute you on its own service to LAX. Might it accept your BA ticket in payment? If not, what would the reroute cost and might a refund of the BA ticket make you roughly whole?

QR has no obligation to you, but it might help. BA has no obligation to you until you reach OSL, but it also has every reason not to have to deal with you at all.

Bags may well be a nuisance here, but QR can reroute at DOH and if you do wind up in OSL, BA will handle. Worry about the bags after you have figured out the reroute.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
QR will do nothing for the OP (let alone fly to OP to LAX unless of course the OP purchase a ticket to LAX). QR will certainly not accept the BA ticket as payment (unless BA reroutes the OP to the QR service which is highly unlikely as the BA ticket is from OSL). If the OP wants to get to LAX then asking for a full refund (which BA most likely will be prepared to do) would be stupid. Buying a last minute ticket to LAX will presumably be much more expensive than the BA ticket already purchased. Let BA deal with this. Rerouting via HEL is certainly an option but check availability first before calling BA.

Upon arrival at OSL the OP should ask for the luggage. It should be no issue to get the luggage at OSL regardless that it is tagged to LHR and LAX.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 11:24 pm
Original Poster

Just landed in oslo. Will update.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 11:36 pm

Looks like tonight's flight to London has opened up a little, so you could make it that far and then on to the 10:35am to LAX tomorrow - otherwise Monday morning still gets you on to that flight (if you've already been rebooked to the 7.30am - is now sold out in J).

Depends where you want to spend the overnight I guess! I can't see any other options out of Oslo that get you in any earlier

I don't think getting your bags back in Oslo will be a big issue if you ask for them once there
Old Mar 18, 2018, 12:22 am
Original Poster

Update: LaAt night just before leaving Doha I spoke to BA and they could not find any way to rebook me on other airlines. So I took what they offered, which was a rebooking to Monday. I also booked a room at the Radisson before leaving Doha.

Landed in Oslo and spoke to the Qatar baggage folks and they started looking for the luggage. But in the meantime my wife texted me that the luggage had shown up on the carousel. So we picked it up, informed the baggage agents and headed to the Radisson. Turns out that in my hurry I had booked the room for the wrong day but they effortlessly moved it around and also gave me early check in so I am in the room now. He also offered me breakfast both today and tomorrow for both of us when he heard about my forced stay. Have no status with Radisson but am thankful they fixed it.

So all in all an extra day in Oslo. Thanks to all of you for suggestions. Hope tomorrow's flight does not get cancelled.
And also hope BA will help out with the hotel. I am always amazed that the BA group has the best suggestions to every intractable (to me) problem.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 1:36 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by levistrauss
So all in all an extra day in Oslo.
My advice would be to wrap up warm, walk over to the station and jump on a train into Oslo. If you get an NSB train it’s about half the price of a flytoget.
RoyalSwazi likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 2:18 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by levistrauss
And also hope BA will help out with the hotel.
I'm pleased to see it's not worked out too badly. It seems the room rate is well below £200 so that should be OK. There was no need to extract concessions on breakfast since BA would also cover that as well, but obviously you should mention that briefly in your claim letter. If you have a cheap (a somewhat relative term in Oslo) sandwich lunch and a bigger evening meal without alcohol then BA should be fine with that too.
levistrauss likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.