Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New fare rules for upgrades? {misinformed airport agent}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2018, 11:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k

Was just told that you need a H, M, Y or B on fare ticket to be eligible for cash, mile or GPU supported international upgrades on a UA ticket flying on a UA plane. My understanding was that a W fare on the route to be upgraded sufficed, has that changed? I've also been noticing that the site says "Online upgrade not available" for all my tickets and must have missed the announcement if rules have changed.

Definitely not saying it wouldn't be understandable if changes were made to make upgrading harder or more costly but it'll be nice to know for sure what the new rules are: managed to use 2 GPUs last year and would still like to use at least 1 this year!
Old Mar 17, 2018, 11:30 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
HUCA -- likely a badly informed agent

No partner operated flights?
Old Mar 17, 2018, 11:46 am
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Originally Posted by transonic
Was just told that you need a H, M, Y or B on fare ticket to be eligible for cash, mile or GPU supported international upgrades on a UA ticket flying on a UA plane.
Aren't Y, M, and B instant ups for 1K and GS?
Old Mar 17, 2018, 12:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Absolutely false. MOLA.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mr8
Aren't Y, M, and B instant ups for 1K and GS?
Only on domestic flights. OP asking about international. No instant ups on international for anyone. Unless it is CPU eligible.

Last edited by Baze; Mar 18, 2018 at 6:06 pm Reason: Corrected as I was missing some of the information.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 2:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Silver
Originally Posted by Baze
Only on domestic flights. OP asking about international. No instant ups on international for anyone.
Not only domestic - Instant Upgrades are available on any CPU eligible flight. Virtually all narrowbody flights are eligible (exceptions being HNL-MAJ, p.s. routes [EWR-LAX/SFO, BOS-SFO], and long-haul 757 routes such as to LIM and some EU destinations) for CPU and thus eligible for instant upgrades. It is not based on domestic or international.

edit to clarify It is not just narrowbody flights that are eligible - merely a vast majority of narrowbody flights are eligible whereas only a select few widebody flights are (any domestic hub-hub that is not p.s. route and not HNL to DEN/eastward, some flights to Central America rarely, some flights to/from high traffic destinations, etc).

Last edited by chermorg; Mar 17, 2018 at 4:54 pm Reason: clarify
Old Mar 17, 2018, 4:22 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by transonic
Was just told that you need a H, M, Y or B on fare ticket to be eligible for cash, mile or GPU supported international upgrades on a UA ticket flying on a UA plane. My understanding was that a W fare on the route to be upgraded sufficed, has that changed? I've also been noticing that the site says "Online upgrade not available" for all my tickets and must have missed the announcement if rules have changed.

Definitely not saying it wouldn't be understandable if changes were made to make upgrading harder or more costly but it'll be nice to know for sure what the new rules are: managed to use 2 GPUs last year and would still like to use at least 1 this year!
Most probably you were trying to upgrade a Star Alliance operated flight. The W fare rule is only valid for United metal flights and some other exceptions. Here are the rules to upgrade using a GPU on LH and ANA (see also:https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...pgrades.aspx):

Upgrading on flights operated by ANA or Lufthansa
Global Premier Upgrades on ANA-operated flights are valid for one-segment, one-cabin upgrades on any multi-cabin international flight operated by ANA and marketed by ANA or United. Upgrades are subject to availability and valid for paid, published fares only. The following ANA fare classes are eligible for Global Premier Upgrades: C, D, J, Y, B, E and G.

Global Premier Upgrades on Lufthansa-operated flights are valid for one-segment, one-cabin upgrades on any multi-cabin international flight operated by Lufthansa. You may request Global Premier Upgrades as early as time of ticketing in order to upgrade from Lufthansa Economy or Business Class to the next higher cabin. Upgrades are subject to availability and valid for paid, published fares only. The following Lufthansa fare classes are eligible for Global Premier Upgrades: B, C, D, E, G, H, J, M, Q, U and Y

If you want to upgrade using miles and a copay (in some cases waived) other fare classes apply, see here

Last edited by scientist001; Mar 17, 2018 at 4:28 pm
Old Mar 17, 2018, 5:10 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by scientist001
Most probably you were trying to upgrade a Star Alliance operated flight.
Possibly, but the reported limitation of Y, B, M, or H does not match up with either the LH or NH requirements.

It's equally possible the agent was grossly mistaken.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 7:11 pm

Programs: UA MM (recovering former 1K), Marriott Titanium Lifetime

If pure UA metal, still W.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 7:33 pm

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
Perhaps something is wrong with their systems - I have a TATL booked in S, and it will not let me upgrade it with miles+copay.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 7:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
No change

Who told you that? Total BS. W fare minimum still applies
Old Mar 17, 2018, 9:15 pm

Programs: UA MM (recovering former 1K), Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by Miles Ahead
Perhaps something is wrong with their systems - I have a TATL booked in S, and it will not let me upgrade it with miles+copay.
There is no guarantee that an upgrade is available for a given route on the date you are trying to book. It is also possible that S is considered 'deeply discounted promotional', but I don't know whether that is the case."Can I request a MileagePlus Upgrade Award on any ticket?

No, MileagePlus Upgrade Awards cannot be used when flying on award tickets or deeply discounted promotional tickets, or on tickets containing a Basic Economy fare."

Some of the earlier responses to OP concerned using a GPU and what fare class was required to qualify.

Last edited by garkster; Mar 17, 2018 at 9:23 pm
Old Mar 17, 2018, 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by garkster
It is also possible that S is considered 'deeply discounted promotional', but I don't know whether that is the case.
You can absolutely upgrade an S using miles. Just look at the award chart.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
I hope this is just a major IT glitch and not an enhancement. Since it is a weekend I'll go with IT glitch for now ... it has been years since United.com worked anywhere near satisfactory over a weekend.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 8:56 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by cfischer
I hope this is just a major IT glitch and not an enhancement. Since it is a weekend I'll go with IT glitch for now ... it has been years since United.com worked anywhere near satisfactory over a weekend.
3/2/12 to be precise.... I date that will be the subject of many Business School case studies....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.