Search

EDI to MEL options

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2018, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Was BA GGL but no longer travelling
EDI to MEL options

Hi all

I've a chance to fly EDI to MEL in Business. In my job it's rare to stray outside of EU so this has novelty value. A quick look at BA for 4th April to 19th April is over £9k, but QR is about £6k. Can anyone share the relative merits of each? I'm gold (2100 TP) so whilst the TP are not a huge influence (I've no chance of getting GGL at 5k) the Avios are fairly important as I'm saving for a decent trip (I currently have 230k Avios).

I've flown BA to Seattle and I've flown EK to BLR via DXB before, but I've no experience of QR. QR do a direct to DOH but I don't mind going via LHR (my home from home at the moment).

Oh, and I've never been on an A380, so add that into the mix :-) I don't know what kit BA or QR would use for that routing (not looked in detail at flights yet).

Comments welcome, and many thanks.

Jim

Last edited by HighwayToHEL; Mar 17, 2018 at 1:19 pm
Old Mar 17, 2018, 1:02 pm

Programs: GGL/CCR
I'd do EDI-LHR on BA and then onto QR16 to DOH (35K with q suites) then onto an A380 to MEL
HighwayToHEL likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 1:04 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by HighwayToHEL
Hi all

I've a chance to fly EDI to MEL in Business. In my job it's rare to stray outside of EU so this has novelty value. A quick look at BA for 4th April to 19th April is over £9k, but QR is about £6k. Can anyone share the relative merits of each? I'm gold (2100 TP) so whilst the TP are not a huge influence (I've no chance of getting GGL at 5k) the Avios are fairly important as I'm saving for a decent trip (I currently have 230k Avios).

I've flown BA to Seattle and I've flown EK to BLR via DBX before, but I've no experience of QR. QR do a direct to DOH but I don't mind going via LHR (my home from home at the moment).

Oh, and I've never been on an A380, so add that into the mix :-) I don't know what kit BA or QR would use for that routing (not looked in detail at flights yet).

Comments welcome, and many thanks.

Jim
QR for hard & soft product, BA for more Avios (especially as gold).
HighwayToHEL likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

What is the BA route as BA do not fly thier own metal to MEL ( one of the legs should be a code share)?

Regards

TBS
Old Mar 17, 2018, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

The ones I looked at were via SIN
Old Mar 17, 2018, 1:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, , Hilton Diamond (from being in a bed), SPG Plat, MR Plat
EK from GLA with QF codes? Would get chauffeur from EDI area most likely.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 1:17 pm

Programs: BA Gold
For the same price as QR you can fly QF including a leg on the new non stop LHR-PER
Old Mar 17, 2018, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

Yeah I'm within the chauffeur radius for GLA, that's the route I took to DXB and BLR a couple of years ago.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

LHR to PER, ouch that feels a long leg :-)
Old Mar 17, 2018, 1:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, , Hilton Diamond (from being in a bed), SPG Plat, MR Plat
HighwayToHEL and Ldnn1 like this.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 1:21 pm

Given this would trigger a GUF2 does that have value for your other trip. That said, I think expensing employer/client an extra £3k for a few avios extra is questionable and would from me attract significant scrutiny and a telling off unless BA timings are materially better.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dodgeflyer
Given this would trigger a GUF2 does that have value for your other trip. That said, I think expensing employer/client an extra £3k for a few avios extra is questionable and would from me attract significant scrutiny and a telling off unless BA timings are materially better.
Yes the GUF2 for 2 might be a factor. I may be taking my other half with me (the project at work has been a nightmare so work has offered this as a payback) so it's annoying that the GUF2 is before my trip (I'm going EDI to LHR for next two weeks so will be short). And yes, although I don't have a specific budget, I wouldn't take the company for such a price difference, especially as this is being charged back to the client. So I have to be sensible.

I may have a trip to USA at the end of the year so the GUF2 could be used then,
Old Mar 17, 2018, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

ESFLYER95 what on earth do you do for a living?

2017 (so far): LHR EDI LCY CMB SIN SYD MEL AKL NSN WLG GIS DPS KUL RGN BKK KTM ICN PEK HKG MNL CEB ENI USU HAN DAD SGN NRT DEL BOM JAI PNQ MRS PEN JHB ABZ AMM TLV
Old Mar 17, 2018, 3:56 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Have you considered BA, but perhaps starting in Oslo or AMS for a much cheaper fare? Route vie Sydney for more points towards, perhaps, 2xGUF1, if you think you can hit 3.5k tier points. You'd earn over 700 for this trip...
HighwayToHEL likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 4:06 pm

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond

Also earns 680 TP and has a 1-2-1 business layout.

I've not tried it yet (got it this week) but their old A380 product was perfectly acceptable and this seems like a big step up.
HighwayToHEL likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.