Wiki Posts
Search

Cabin bags - approach for row 1

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2024, 8:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL; Virgin Gold; HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Cabin bags - approach for row 1

Any tips for the best thing to do if the row 1 overheads are already full by the time you board (for CE row 1)?

Best to plonk them in the middle seat and ask the crew to help once the boarding is done?

Best to walk down and stow them a few rows back and then hope someone throws them back to you when it’s time to leave?

Board first and grab the space - obviously!

and are the Danish planes we’ve borrowed any different for the overhead space in row 1?
Old Apr 22, 2024, 8:29 am

Programs: BA GGL
I just do some rearranging and put someone else's bag a few rows back. The overhead lockers above my row belong to me.
Old Apr 22, 2024, 8:32 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Ideally have bags that are sufficiently small and flexible they can squeeze into overheads even if there are other bags in it. Otherwise just put them a few rows back. It takes about 6 seconds to disembark a row of CE passengers, so even if no-one passes your bags forward, it is unlikely to be fatal to wait until it's clear for you.
Old Apr 22, 2024, 8:35 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by Splotly
Any tips for the best thing to do if the row 1 overheads are already full by the time you board (for CE row 1)?

Best to plonk them in the middle seat and ask the crew to help once the boarding is done?

Best to walk down and stow them a few rows back and then hope someone throws them back to you when it’s time to leave?

Board first and grab the space - obviously!

and are the Danish planes we’ve borrowed any different for the overhead space in row 1?
I’m usually in row 1 and tend to board late. There is almost always space immediately above my seat, and at worst, either across the aisle or above row 2. I don’t bring a big cabin bag though.

Originally Posted by c1223
I just do some rearranging and put someone else's bag a few rows back. The overhead lockers above my row belong to me.
Pax should never move other pax’s luggage IMO.

Last edited by krispy84; Apr 22, 2024 at 9:22 am
Old Apr 22, 2024, 8:37 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
If directly above you is full, I don't see why folks can't put their bag 1-3 rows back. That's what I do. Yes, you will have to swim upstream to retrieve once the seatbelt sign goes off, adding 2-3 mins post landing (I usually just stay comfortable in my seat and let rows 1-2 clear out and then get them, assuming no tight connection).
Old Apr 22, 2024, 8:40 am

Programs: KLM, BA Silver, Etihad
I had to put mine above 4D last night.

I asked the CSM to help me and she duly fetched it for me when we pulled up.
Old Apr 22, 2024, 8:41 am

Programs: KLM, BA Silver, Etihad
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Ideally have bags that are sufficiently small and flexible they can squeeze into overheads even if there are other bags in it. Otherwise just put them a few rows back. It takes about 6 seconds to disembark a row of CE passengers, so even if no-one passes your bags forward, it is unlikely to be fatal to wait until it's clear for you.
However once the queue is moving it’s nigh on impossible to swim up water?
Old Apr 22, 2024, 9:14 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by RockyRobin
Just look slightly scary, seems to work very well for me.
Old Apr 22, 2024, 9:18 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
on disembarking its easy to wait a bit to swim upstream because at one point there will always be people who need a bit of time to get their bags out too leaving the gap to swim quickly before the onslaught continues!
Old Apr 22, 2024, 9:23 am

Programs: BAEC GFL (Only took 30 years)
Originally Posted by RockyRobin
I have never experienced any issue having folk move out of my way when moving in the opposite direction to disembarkation to pick up a bah. Folk seem very courteous when you want to move behind them.

Oh, and I couldn't imagine moving another passenger's bag.
Old Apr 22, 2024, 9:51 am

Programs: BAEC
Do they? Interesting. I wasn’t aware that allocated locker ownership was included in the ticket price so thank you for highlighting.

Out of interest, how do you decide how the locker is divided up between those in the same row? Is it a vertical or horizontal division?
Old Apr 22, 2024, 10:04 am

Book row 2.
36902BRF, the810, PAL62V and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 22, 2024, 10:59 am

If I was travelling in row 1/2 and you got on last and started moving my bag around I would have a massive problem. As far as I’m concerned you can find any empty space and if that’s as far back as row 15 then that’s your problem for boarding late.

You don’t own an overhead locker above your row and I’d advise against that attitude before getting on a flight one day and being told otherwise.
wcel, Scots_Al, thebouncer and 7 others like this.
Old Apr 22, 2024, 12:11 pm

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
The only moving of other passengers’ bags that I do is to shuffle them around a bit it squeeze a bag in or if they have been put sideways instead of wheels first to correct it, but definitely not take them out and place them elsewhere.
Old Apr 22, 2024, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
As a fairly “frequent” occupant of Row 1 I/we hardly ever have a problem, BAEC Gold and Group 1 obvs helps, along with increasingly looking old and frail and being pre-boarded

YMMV.
LSunbury likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.