Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Blew it - paid for seats, probably didn't have to

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2024, 7:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Titanium

I'm an AA Platinum hence Oneworld sapphire. Just booked some flights, and went through the seat selection flow without thinking about it. Am I out the $?

[Edited to add: my AA # was definitely input during the booking process]
Old Apr 22, 2024, 7:27 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by scolbath
I'm an AA Platinum hence Oneworld sapphire. Just booked some flights, and went through the seat selection flow without thinking about it. Am I out the $?

[Edited to add: my AA # was definitely input during the booking process]
I think that you have to complete the purchase before your AA status registers and you can go back and choose seats. I'm also afraid that the fees are non-refundable but it costs nothing (apart from time on hold) to ask.
Old Apr 22, 2024, 8:06 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold, Amex Plat, SkyTeam Silver
I'd play dumb, call up and say you didn't notice the charge for the seats / assumed because your FF was in, there wouldnt be a charge.
Old Apr 23, 2024, 6:06 am
Original Poster

Will give this a try. I re-read the documentation about Sapphire having free selection - it strongly implies you can do it at the time of initial booking, without going back through the workflow, so that'll be my additional evidence.
Old Apr 23, 2024, 6:10 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
If your status is not with BAEC then the BA's booking site does not get your status until after you complete the booking, despite entering your FF number during the booking process.

It means you need to ignore the choose seats during the booking process, get your PNR and then go back into the booking and selecting your seats for free.
scolbath likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2024, 6:16 am

Will give this a try. I re-read the documentation about Sapphire having free selection - it strongly implies you can do it at the time of initial booking, without going back through the workflow, so that'll be my additional evidence.
It’s worth a try. But also a general lesson here which I’m sure you’ve already realised - check you’re happy with what you’re paying for before you press pay.

It’s not like you were in an urgent situation here that meant you *had* to pay for the seats and then complain about it afterwards.
scolbath likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2024, 6:18 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I believe seat reservation fees are refundable, but only if done within 24 hours and it would need a telephone call.
flarmip, scolbath and Fruitcake like this.
Old Apr 23, 2024, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Yeah, cancel the tickets within 24h and book again without paying for ASR?
mercexe likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2024, 1:48 pm

Programs: American, Marriott/spg
I did it and AA was very nice about refunding the cost of seat selection
ttama, MADPhil and bisonrav like this.
Old Apr 23, 2024, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

Just to close the loop: was able to call in after about a half-dozen tries, but once I did got the $ refunded immediately. I have a sneaking suspicion I know what happened based on some subsequent emails. I think the issue is that somehow, my wife got listed as the "primary" traveler, and I had the flights credited to her BA Executive Club account - the seat refund receipt said "Dear Ms. Scolbath". If that happened (and not sure why it did, I definitely remember selecting my name first) it probably did not recognize my status. Regardless, next time: pay more attention, do seats on a second trip to the site!
Yllanes, ttama, Fruitcake and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 23, 2024, 3:31 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Just to close the loop: was able to call in after about a half-dozen tries, but once I did got the $ refunded immediately. I have a sneaking suspicion I know what happened based on some subsequent emails. I think the issue is that somehow, my wife got listed as the "primary" traveler, and I had the flights credited to her BA Executive Club account - the seat refund receipt said "Dear Ms. Scolbath". If that happened (and not sure why it did, I definitely remember selecting my name first) it probably did not recognize my status. Regardless, next time: pay more attention, do seats on a second trip to the site!
It has already been explained upthread, but I'll put a bit differently. If you make a booking with BA, logged into your BAEC account, it automatically picks up your BAEC (not AA) status immediately so you can select seats for free. But the database for oneworld frequent flyers is not in the server neighbourhood until the booking is confirmed and entered into Amadeus. At that point via a link between Amadeus and the oneworld database the status is updated on the booking, and therefore only at that point is free advance seat selection enabled on Amadeus Seating. A shorter version is that it is inevitable, with an AA status, that you book first, get a PNR, then go in and amend the booking. It's just the way it is structured.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 8:53 am

Programs: BAEC and Hilton mostly
I have a sneaking suspicion I know what happened based on some subsequent emails. I think the issue is that somehow, my wife got listed as the "primary" traveler, and I had the flights credited to her BA Executive Club account - the seat refund receipt said "Dear Ms. Scolbath". If that happened (and not sure why it did, I definitely remember selecting my name first) it probably did not recognize my status. Regardless, next time: pay more attention, do seats on a second trip to the site!
That is more likely to be BA's <expletive deleted!> IT In emails from BA to my address Ian**@**.co.uk I'm always referred to as "Mrs" - nothing I do on the website appears to amend this, and the real Mrs is correctly prefixed
scolbath and ttama like this.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tocsin
That is more likely to be BA's <expletive deleted!> IT In emails from BA to my address Ian**@**.co.uk I'm always referred to as "Mrs" - nothing I do on the website appears to amend this, and the real Mrs is correctly prefixed
Well, today Flyertalk's IT is not much better. Although I've logged into the site, I've liked the last two posts and it's showing my name as [ARG:4 UNDEFINED] LOLOL.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 11:44 am

Programs: M&S Elite+
Well, today Flyertalk's IT is not much better. Although I've logged into the site, I've liked the last two posts and it's showing my name as [ARG:4 UNDEFINED] LOLOL.
Been that way for years... If someone registers as ARG:4 UNDEFINED the whole site will crumble.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.