Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

2.5 hours in HongKong airport enough to clear immig/customs and re check in?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2024, 7:15 pm
Original Poster

Early May. Have to redeem on 2 separate tickets: BOS-HKG on BA and HKG-CGK on CX.

Arriving on British Airways biz class at 16:35, and departing on Cathay biz class at 19:05. Need to clear immigration, pick up 2 luggage, clear customs and re check-in.

Do I have the time?

Thank you!!!
Old Apr 23, 2024, 1:09 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
You *should* be ok. But there is always a chance of a delayed arrival of say an hour which will start to make things tight. Bear in mind bad drop will close around 45-60 minutes before (you need to check that).
trooper likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2024, 1:14 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Welcome to the board, and I'm sure an official will be along soon to give you a proper welcome.

That would be above my risk threshold. You don't need much of a delay - and Hong Kong gets some interesting weather - to make that a bit squeaky bum. Since the lounges in HKG are excellent I'd build in a bigger buffer myself.
KARFA, Lefly, GlasgowBlue and 3 others like this.
Old Apr 23, 2024, 1:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
If your BA flight is on time, you have plenty of time.
CX check-in counters close 40 min before departure. HKG is an efficient airport.
Even with an hour delay, you should make it.

Of course, a lot of things can happen, including a missed connection in LHR due to BA238 delay.
HarbourGent likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2024, 2:04 am

Programs: MUCCI
If no delays you will easily do it.
HKG is by far the most efficient airport around.
As others have said only issue is if the first flight is late but honestly if it is possible to make it with the time that you have left with a delayed arrival then if it is not possible at HKG it is not possible anywhere....
FD.
Old Apr 23, 2024, 2:11 am

Programs: Meh
As said all going smoothly you should have no issue. I wonder would BA check your bag to final destination even tho you are on two seperate tickets...
Old Apr 23, 2024, 2:16 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, *G, EK Skywards Silver
I have had some 45 min waits at immigration in HKG over the past couple of months but the bags have always been waiting for me.
depending on the arrival runway in use (07L), it can be a 20-25 mins taxi in too.
Old Apr 23, 2024, 2:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stevie
As said all going smoothly you should have no issue. I wonder would BA check your bag to final destination even tho you are on two seperate tickets...
They won't!

Pre-pandemic this would have been a slam dunk, but I have no recent HKG experience. BA's timekeeping would be the other pause for thought. At least it's no longer an A380 route.
KARFA likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2024, 3:01 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
How's award availability on the later flight? I'd personally go for it if there was a reasonable backup plan. The luggage is the only thing that would give me pause, I've experienced BA Priority tagged bags coming out dead last too many times, though not at HKG.

Assuming you don't have access to Hong Kong e-Gates? I used to years ago and need to renew it in my new passport, makes immigration a non-issue going in and out. If you don't have it yet and you end up with 15-20 mins to spare then go get it, I believe they still do it in booths right behind immigration before you go out the sliding doors, you need proof of your frequent flyer status, not all airlines participate but many do.
Old Apr 23, 2024, 3:26 am

I assume you were unable to find availability on the CX flight non stop from BOS I can almost always get that one using avios, never have luck with aa miles, HKG is efficient ba not so much if you land on time you should be fine
Old Apr 23, 2024, 3:33 am

Originally Posted by stevie
The other way around (i.e. Cathay then BA on separate tickets) and it'd be no problem. But BA first? Nope. It's another differentiator between airlines (that BA loses).
Old Apr 23, 2024, 3:58 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
When I arrived on BA27 last month the queue for immigration was probably 45 minutes.
Old Apr 23, 2024, 4:09 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Welcome to FT pigletthepug and congratulations on your first post.

Apologies. When I replied earlier it was on my mobile and it is quite difficult to see the post count, so I didn't realise it was your first post.
PLeblond likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2024, 5:15 am
Original Poster

thank you soo much for all the replies! yes, 2.5 hours is just a little on the short side. just 30 more minutes and I'd be more comfortable.

1. BA will not check through bags. I called and somebody actually picked up and said empathically no, they will not do it.

2. Yes, I am only doing this cause I can never find availability for CX flights BOS-HKG/NRT/DOH-CGK using AirAsia miles

3. This is the last CX HKG - CGK flight for the day. I'd have to spend the night if I don't make it.

4. I already have another EWR-SIN-CGK flight booked but man I have to drive BOS-EWR at 3:30am and have a 5 hour layover in SIN. It's a looong trip.

I will keep rechecking weather and flights till the end of this week.

Thank you again.
stevie likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2024, 7:53 am

Programs: BA Blue, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by pigletthepug
thank you soo much for all the replies! yes, 2.5 hours is just a little on the short side. just 30 more minutes and I'd be more comfortable.

1. BA will not check through bags. I called and somebody actually picked up and said empathically no, they will not do it.

2. Yes, I am only doing this cause I can never find availability for CX flights BOS-HKG/NRT/DOH-CGK using AirAsia miles

3. This is the last CX HKG - CGK flight for the day. I'd have to spend the night if I don't make it.

4. I already have another EWR-SIN-CGK flight booked but man I have to drive BOS-EWR at 3:30am and have a 5 hour layover in SIN. It's a looong trip.

I will keep rechecking weather and flights till the end of this week.

Thank you again.
I had a similar timing as to you apart from it being a HKG-BKK connection on CX. Had 2 hrs 45 mins which thought was more than enough time.. All was fine, flight was boarded on time and then one of the cargo pods wouldn’t load. Ended up landing with barely hour before my flight. Literally ran off the plane through the airport, begged to be taken to the front of immigration, had a tense fifteen minute wait for priority bags, ran to the check in counter just as it was about to close.

it is possible but be prepared to rush if needed! Hope it works out for you
adrianlondon likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.