Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrading 1xPax on a BAH with Avios

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2024, 1:14 am
formerly JackDann
Original Poster

Upgrading 1xPax on a BAH with Avios

Me and partner booked on BA283 on a BAH booking in CW at present. For whatever reason i’ve been told I can make a change free of charge to our booking.

Availability with Avios in F on BA281 (which departs slightly after) has become available for 1xPAX.

My understanding is that to upgrade one Passenger would require the PNR to be split - so i’m guessing i’d have to request BAH to split the PNR AND move us to BA281 in order to process the Avios Upgrade.

My intention was to pay an AUP for this trip, and i’m doubtful that 2x Avios F tickets will be released, so would have been useful to upgrade one whilst the availability is there!
Old Apr 23, 2024, 1:23 am

Programs: BAEC - Gold
Whilst in theory splitting a booking and upgrading one pax is possible, with only 2 pax you may find this is tricky with the hotel element - either a single room supplement payable or one person loses the hotel and no longer a BAH. Do you have a hotel and a car? One PNR takes one, one the other so both remain a holiday booking? Good luck and do let us know what they say on the phone…

PS also remember splitting the booking means each pax would need status to choose seats next to each other for free on the flight where you are both in the same cabin.
Old Apr 23, 2024, 1:26 am
formerly JackDann
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TheFlyingCyclist
Whilst in theory splitting a booking and upgrading one pax is possible, with only 2 pax you may find this is tricky with the hotel element - either a single room supplement payable or one person loses the hotel and no longer a BAH. Do you have a hotel and a car? One PNR takes one, one the other?
Excellent point, did not think of this at all. We have Car Hire only - although could add a hotel for part of it also. Initial feeling is this is probably more hassle than it could be worth!
Old Apr 23, 2024, 1:46 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Are you using this for the double TP holiday scheme as well as I don’t think you’d get it for the one Avios upgrade and a car and one driver would be proportionately more expensive as the whole cost of the hire would need to be born by one and not split between two drivers.
Old Apr 23, 2024, 2:18 am
formerly JackDann
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
Are you using this for the double TP holiday scheme as well as I don’t think you’d get it for the one Avios upgrade and a car and one driver would be proportionately more expensive as the whole cost of the hire would need to be born by one and not split between two drivers.
Only one driver and not fussed about tier points
Old Apr 23, 2024, 2:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Yes you'll be able to split and upgrade - four of us went to CUN couple of years back, and carved the booking into two and split the CW upgrades using Avios

I'd always upgrade to F to LAX
Old Apr 23, 2024, 3:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by TheFlyingCyclist
Whilst in theory splitting a booking and upgrading one pax is possible, with only 2 pax you may find this is tricky with the hotel element - either a single room supplement payable or one person loses the hotel and no longer a BAH.l.
ive done the splits from bah in the past (for different reasons) and that was never a problem. Lead pax kept the room, second pax had separate pnr with zero room cost but keeping the bah nature of the booking (handled by bah, only deposit needed till payment due date).
Old Apr 23, 2024, 3:36 am
formerly JackDann
Original Poster

Okay - So I phoned BAH and asked to split the booking and move from BA283 to BA281. Apparently we were booked into a fare class that allowed for free changes, so there wasn't an issue doing this at all.

As always, they were really helpful on the phone and split the bookings, upgrading one of us until First for a cost of 22,500 Avios.

Now which one of us takes the seat is probably something you can't all help with - although I do still plan to do an AUP providing there is availability (can this be processed in the CCR?)

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by JD1905; Apr 23, 2024 at 4:12 am
Old Apr 23, 2024, 10:29 am
formerly JackDann
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JD1905
Okay - So I phoned BAH and asked to split the booking and move from BA283 to BA281. Apparently we were booked into a fare class that allowed for free changes, so there wasn't an issue doing this at all.

As always, they were really helpful on the phone and split the bookings, upgrading one of us until First for a cost of 22,500 Avios.

Now which one of us takes the seat is probably something you can't all help with - although I do still plan to do an AUP providing there is availability (can this be processed in the CCR?)

Thanks for your help!
Just checked my account and only seem to have paid 7195 Avios. Not sure if the rest will come out later, know things like that can happen.
Old Apr 23, 2024, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by JD1905
Just checked my account and only seem to have paid 7195 Avios. Not sure if the rest will come out later, know things like that can happen.
If you have a household account could this be your pro rata share of the total?
Old Apr 23, 2024, 10:48 am
formerly JackDann
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DocS
If you have a household account could this be your pro rata share of the total?
Just checked my partners account. They were credited 7195 and then debited the 22,500 - so looks like they essentially sent her my avios to do the upgrade which makes sense!
DocS likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 2:12 am
formerly JackDann
Original Poster

I made a decision on Wednesday to bite the bullet and pay €1,300 EUR to upgrade Pax 2 to give us peace of mind before travelling. An annoying expense but better than relying on an AUP (and in fairness I planned to spend around this on upgrading us both anyway).

5:30am this morning I check my emails and typically, another reward seat in F on that same flight came up. After an agonising wait until 8am I got through to BAH who downgraded me back to J and then back up to F using Avios, with a full €1300 deducted back off the balance.

This faffing about on these flights hasn’t been straight forward but I can’t speak highly enough of BAH who have been extremely helpful in sorting out these queries and changes for us.

This’ll be our first BA’s First and whilst I know it won’t be all that different to Club Suites, i’m sure it’ll be worth it for 22500 Avios each and something different for a start to our Holiday
Old Apr 26, 2024, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It will, in my opinion, be absolutely worth 22,500 Avios ! Great result

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.