Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA DFW——>HND F Class

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2024, 10:25 am
Original Poster

AA DFW——>HND F Class

We are planning a trip to Japan and are curious as to the first class experience. We haven’t traveled internationally in years and realize that it’s not what it was.

The flight is DFW-HND , November 1 to 15th on a 787-9.

This will probably be our last international long haul trip, so we want to splurge.

We are also considering UA and JAL, but the cost is an extra 5k in price, we not sure if it’s worth the extra $$.

Thanks.
Old Apr 23, 2024, 10:36 am

If you fly JAL the sweet spot is using AA miles for a award redemption in F. Unfortunately getting a F seat has to be done far in advance or last minute with miles. You mention cost so I assume you are using cash. JAL F is far superior to UA. The only downside is the JAL cabin is very warm no matter what you tell the flight crew your cabin will be approximately 80 deg F. If you are lucky 75-78 deg F. but not cooler
JoeWoodstock likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2024, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Lampsaw
We are planning a trip to Japan and are curious as to the first class experience. We haven’t traveled internationally in years and realize that it’s not what it was.

The flight is DFW-HND , November 1 to 15th on a 787-9.

This will probably be our last international long haul trip, so we want to splurge.

We are also considering UA and JAL, but the cost is an extra 5k in price, we not sure if it’s worth the extra $$.

Thanks.
Do you mean business class? AA currently doesn't offer First class to Japan and is starting the process of removing First class all together from most of its planes.
Antarius likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2024, 10:52 am

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
As JJeffrey mentioned, sounds like you may be mixing class of services.

If 5K is the difference between AA J and JL F, this is your last international trip and you want to splurge, I'd take JL F without hesitation.
If 5k is the difference between AA J and JL J, I'd personally stick with AA and spend the 5k in Japan. AA isn't as good as JL, but I don't think it's 5k worse.
I wouldn't consider the UA option...I would not pay 5k to fly UA over AA, or prefer UA over JL at the same price.
Old Apr 23, 2024, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by lrdpenn
As JJeffrey mentioned, sounds like you may be mixing class of services.

If 5K is the difference between AA J and JL F, this is your last international trip and you want to splurge, I'd take JL F without hesitation.
If 5k is the difference between AA J and JL J, I'd personally stick with AA and spend the 5k in Japan. AA isn't as good as JL, but I don't think it's 5k worse.
I wouldn't consider the UA option...I would not pay 5k to fly UA over AA, or prefer UA over JL at the same price.
Well put.

I agree with 2 and 3 wholeheartedly. #1 though... JL F isn't worth 5k USD over AA J. It's much better, but 5k USD will be so much better spent in Japan.
bse118 and cmtlatitudes like this.
Old Apr 23, 2024, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

Sorry about that, yes I meant business class and yes we are considering paying cash. The more I look into this it seems F is a thing of the past.
As a side note we do have 500k AS credit card mile points that could be used for AA or JAL. We just aren’t sure of the award availability and lead time.

If we use the reward points can we be bumped at the last second for a paying pax or someone upgrading?
Old Apr 23, 2024, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Sorry about that, yes I meant business class and yes we are considering paying cash. The more I look into this it seems F is a thing of the past.
As a side note we do have 500k AS credit card mile points that could be used for AA or JAL. We just aren’t sure of the award availability and lead time.
JL still consistently makes business and (some) first class award space available but most space typically doesn't show up until about 14 days before the flight.

If we use the reward points can we be bumped at the last second for a paying pax or someone upgrading?
No.
Antarius likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2024, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

Do you know how far out AA release’s their availability for J?
Old Apr 23, 2024, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
No rhyme or reason to it with AA. There's no guarantee of availability 331 days out when bookings open. Inventory gets released or tightened any time between then and departure. If you want a pattern, look for JAL space starting 14 days before departure.
Old Apr 23, 2024, 2:58 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by Centurion
The only downside is the JAL cabin is very warm no matter what you tell the flight crew your cabin will be approximately 80 deg F. If you are lucky 75-78 deg F. but not cooler
My last round-trip DFW-HND in JL F was around 73 both legs
Old Apr 23, 2024, 3:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If your schedule is flexible, close in might be a more fruitful approach.
Old Apr 23, 2024, 6:21 pm

Programs: AS100k, DL Diamond, MarriottAmb, FlyingBlueSilver

You can easily search on the Alaska website with the calendar view for business and first class redemptions by month. Will save you a ton of time. Also just because something doesn’t show today doesn’t mean it wont show in a week..
Old Apr 23, 2024, 6:52 pm

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
JAL business class is 60,000 AA miles to / from -- 120, 000 total.

But snowball's chance in a very hot place you are going to find two seats on November 1 to Tokyo and two seats on November 15 from Tokyo. AA prices are 200,000 each seat, each way with the "dynamic" pricing.

JAL releases 350 days out or 10 days out. You have dates set that don't fall into either set of dates. JAL releases one ticket and you need two tickets.

If you have the wherewithal to pay cash, book JAL business class on the dates and times of your liking.

JAL and AA are the two airlines with direct flights via DFW.
Old Apr 23, 2024, 6:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Centurion
If you fly JAL the sweet spot is using AA miles for a award redemption in F. Unfortunately getting a F seat has to be done far in advance or last minute with miles. You mention cost so I assume you are using cash. JAL F is far superior to UA. The only downside is the JAL cabin is very warm no matter what you tell the flight crew your cabin will be approximately 80 deg F. If you are lucky 75-78 deg F. but not cooler
Originally Posted by golfer20
My last round-trip DFW-HND in JL F was around 73 both legs
I’ve flown JL J 3x (one way) and F 5x over the last 30 months. Never has the cabin approached 80 degrees. Only one time did I think it was warm, and that was in F and the FAs did turn the temperature down.
Old Apr 23, 2024, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by view-with-a-room
JAL business class is 60,000 AA miles to / from -- 120, 000 total.

But snowball's chance in a very hot place you are going to find two seats on November 1 to Tokyo and two seats on November 15 from Tokyo. AA prices are 200,000 each seat, each way with the "dynamic" pricing.

JAL releases 350 days out or 10 days out. You have dates set that don't fall into either set of dates. JAL releases one ticket and you need two tickets.

If you have the wherewithal to pay cash, book JAL business class on the dates and times of your liking.

JAL and AA are the two airlines with direct flights via DFW.
If you’ve got the stomach for it, the other play here is book two one ways on AA. Wait for schedule changes to change routings if needed. Watch for prices to drop between now and November. Starting 14 days out watch for JL space. Rebook as appropriate.
Antarius likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.