Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Bangkok to Newcastle with BA, No Economy from Doha

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2024, 10:50 am
Original Poster

I am looking at booking Via BA for a return trip to Bangkok from Newcastle, Going to Bangkok is OKAY with a good price in Economy , But on the return , BA are only selling upgraded tickets for Premium Economy which is adding another £100 plus to the flight and you only get the Premium from Doha to Heathrow, I have checked other dates and it seems like they are selling the same type of fares in Premium.

Is there away that i can get a Economy fare on this same flight? I have checked 3rd party sites and they are just offering the same unless i transfer between Gatwick and Heathrow which i would not want to do.

I just find the whole situation confusing since their are running flights unless Qatar are only allowing BA to use that section of the plane.

On another note, If i did pay for premium, The booking process won't allow me to select seats unless i pay to select a seats , So that must be a extra

The flights are below

Flight Details

Bangkok To Newcastle

02:30 Bangkok Bangkok

Airline: Qatar Airways

Aircraft: BA6347 (Boeing 777 jet)

Depart Bangkok: Fri, 27 Sep 2024, 02:30

Arrive Doha: Fri, 27 Sep 2024, 05:30

Duration: 7 hr(s)

Premium Economy Selling Class: B

05:30 Doha Doha
1 hr(s) 55 min(s) wait until your connecting flight

07:25 Doha Doha

Airline: British Airways

Aircraft: BA0122 (Boeing 777 jet)

Depart Doha: Fri, 27 Sep 2024, 07:25

Arrive London: Terminal 5, Fri, 27 Sep 2024, 13:00

Duration: 7 hr(s) 35 min(s)

Premium Economy Selling Class: T

13:00 London Heathrow
3 hr(s) 10 min(s) wait until your connecting flight

16:10 London Heathrow

Airline: British Airways

Aircraft: BA1334 (Airbus A321 Neo)

Depart London: Terminal 5, Fri, 27 Sep 2024, 16:10

Arrive Newcastle: Fri, 27 Sep 2024, 17:20

Duration: 1 hr(s) 10 min(s)

Premium Economy Selling Class: K

17:20 Newcastle Newcastle International

Even though the return is showing Premium on all 3 flights, Once you start to go through the booking process , It states the following !!!!!

Bangkok (Bangkok) To Newcastle (Newcastle International)

20 hours 50 minutes - 2 connections

02:30 BKK

Fri 27 Sep

05:30 DOH

Fri 27 Sep

Economy (Checked baggage)

1 checked bag per person included (Qatar Airways weight restrictions may apply)This flight does not have Premium Economy. We've shown you the closest alternative.Operated By: Qatar Airways

07:25 DOH

Fri 27 Sep

13:00 LHR

Fri 27 Sep

Terminal 5

Premium Economy

1 x 23kg checked bag per person includedOperated By: British Airways

16:10 LHR

Fri 27 Sep

Terminal 5

17:20 NCL

Fri 27 Sep

Economy Plus

1 x 23kg checked bag per person includedThis flight does not have Premium Economy. We've shown you the closest alternative.Operated By: British Airways

marcopizzaiuolo likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2024, 10:59 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
£100 difference between Y and PE for even just the DOH-LHR leg?? I think you'd find most people here biting BA's arm off for that cheap an upgrade!

I'm also unsure why economy would be giving you free seat selection if premium economy doesn't. Unless you were getting results for full fare Y economy, which would be pretty darn expensive!

However it does sound like economy might simply be sold out on the DOH-LHR flight, but someone with access to the flight stats will be able to confirm.
PLeblond, trooper, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 23, 2024, 11:11 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by malct
I just find the whole situation confusing since their are running flights unless Qatar are only allowing BA to use that section of the plane.

On another note, If i did pay for premium, The booking process won't allow me to select seats unless i pay to select a seats ,
The doh lhr leg is on ba metal so nothing to do with QR only letting BA use that part of the plane.

Premium seating is not free unless you have status, is it with ba and are you logged into your account while making the booking?

If you book on qr rather than ba, does that offer you Economy on all flights? It seems to work for me if i book.out on sep 20th back on 27th.

Not sure your outbound dates

Last edited by scottishpoet; Apr 23, 2024 at 11:17 am
Old Apr 23, 2024, 11:19 am

Programs: BAEC
Qatar doesn’t have Premium Economy cabins, so where does a B class fare end up?
Old Apr 23, 2024, 11:20 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
Qatar doesn’t have Premium Economy cabins, so where does a B class fare end up?
its ba metal doh to lhr t5

The qr metal.part i suspect is ba getting confused and saying premium economy instead of economy
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2024, 11:21 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by scottishpoet
its ba metal doh to lhr t5
Sorry realise B is an economy fare and I meant the BKK - DOH, ignore me! Bit confused!

I guess BA IT is taking the highest fare (T) and using that as a cabin class for all legs except it clearly isn’t, as it states once you click through.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 1:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ratechaser
£100 difference between Y and PE for even just the DOH-LHR leg?? I think you'd find most people here biting BA's arm off for that cheap an upgrade!

I'm also unsure why economy would be giving you free seat selection if premium economy doesn't. Unless you were getting results for full fare Y economy, which would be pretty darn expensive!

However it does sound like economy might simply be sold out on the DOH-LHR flight, but someone with access to the flight stats will be able to confirm.
Looking at the Premium, If it was for the full Journey i would defiantly go for it, but its just from Doha to Heathrow and your only getting more space and that's all , Regards Economy. sold out , I have looked on a number of dates and its just the same, i can get from A to B if i buy the premium, but not Economy.

Regards seat selection, I thought paying for Premium, it would give you seat selection, I fully understand paying for Economy doesn't give you seat selection
Old Apr 24, 2024, 1:41 am
Original Poster

The doh lhr leg is on ba metal so nothing to do with QR only letting BA use that part of the plane.

Premium seating is not free unless you have status, is it with ba and are you logged into your account while making the booking?

If you book on qr rather than ba, does that offer you Economy on all flights? It seems to work for me if i book.out on sep 20th back on 27th.

Not sure your outbound dates
I have the basic Qatar Card and i have applied for the BA Card , But i guess you need to be high up in the status to get free seat selection. Going out is great , I have a selection of flights , We are flying out on the 7th September from Newcastle, I could use Emirates but we have a few Avios points , So trying to add to the amount and Newcastle is the nearest airport
Old Apr 24, 2024, 1:52 am

I have the basic Qatar Card and i have applied for the BA Card , But i guess you need to be high up in the status to get free seat selection. Going out is great , I have a selection of flights , We are flying out on the 7th September from Newcastle, I could use Emirates but we have a few Avios points , So trying to add to the amount and Newcastle is the nearest airport
you need ow saphire or above to get free seat selection at time of booking (ba silver, qr gold)

you can book ncl lhr doh bkk from qr. You would get avios to whichever of the 2 ffp you associate with the booking
Old Apr 24, 2024, 1:57 am
Original Poster

The Premium Economy flight is operated by Qatar

Operated By: Qatar Airways

Fri 27 Sep

Fri 27 Sep

Terminal 5

Premium Economy

1 x 23kg checked bag included

02:30 BKK

Fri 27 Sep

05:30 DOH

Fri 27 Sep

Economy (Checked baggage)

1 checked bag (Qatar Airways weight restrictions may apply)This flight does not have Premium Economy. We've shown you the closest alternative.
Regards this flight I wonder what is the closest alternative ? Or just a standard seat at their choice

Finally , What is Economy Plus

16:10 LHR

Fri 27 Sep

Terminal 5

17:20 NCL

Fri 27 Sep

Economy Plus

Last edited by malct; Apr 24, 2024 at 2:08 am
Old Apr 24, 2024, 2:03 am

The Premium Economy flight is operated by Qatar

Operated By: Qatar Airways

Fri 27 Sep

Fri 27 Sep

Terminal 5

Premium Economy

1 x 23kg checked bag included
Where are you getting that from? QR doesn’t operate to T5 and doesn’t have Premium Economy, so it won’t be a QR aircraft.

ETA: And a check on BA.com shows it is indeed a BA flight, BA122.
Anonba and DiamondMile like this.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 2:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Where are you getting that from? QR doesn’t operate to T5 and doesn’t have Premium Economy, so it won’t be a QR aircraft. Your correct , Its BA ,, Not Qatar

ETA: And a check on BA.com shows it is indeed a BA flight, BA122.
It seems that i get different results from different sites, But looking at Premium on BA on Youtube, It seems worth it if i am looking at the correct package with a better meal and good seats , So for £800 return, Its about the going rate but the return will be better for a decent sleep
Old Apr 24, 2024, 2:26 am

Looking at the Premium, If it was for the full Journey i would defiantly go for it, but its just from Doha to Heathrow and your only getting more space and that's all , Regards Economy. sold out , I have looked on a number of dates and its just the same, i can get from A to B if i buy the premium, but not Economy.

Regards seat selection, I thought paying for Premium, it would give you seat selection, I fully understand paying for Economy doesn't give you seat selection
you can book the entire journey in economy on the QR website, the cheapest I can find on QR out 7th back 27th is £793,

You can credit avios and TP to BA exec club. If you want to do that, do not log in to your QR account when making the booking, add you BA number when prompted

BA economy plus is a ba economy fare that includes a checked bag

if you really want to book with BA and can't get what you want on their website then call them
Old Apr 24, 2024, 2:40 am
Original Poster

you can book the entire journey in economy on the QR website, the cheapest I can find on QR out 7th back 27th is £793,

You can credit avios and TP to BA exec club. If you want to do that, do not log in to your QR account when making the booking, add you BA number when prompted

BA economy plus is a ba economy fare that includes a checked bag

if you really want to book with BA and can't get what you want on their website then call them

Thank you, Yes, I think that i will give them a call and see what they can offer
Old Apr 24, 2024, 2:46 am

Programs: IB+ Oro (OWS) / FB / SQ
The 0725 departure is BA122, yep.

Qatar doesn't have premium economy but I'm assuming the entire trip is booking into a premium economy fare class with BA, hence the confusion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.