Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Problems on a diverted flight from Hong Kong

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2024, 6:11 pm
Original Poster

Grateful for any advice on this,

Briefly, departed on BA 032 Hong Kong to LHR flight. Got to within 4 hours of LHR but due to a problem with the plane we’re then diverted to Dubai! Before landing cabin crew notified a number of business class passengers around me (presumably Gold Card members) that upon landing they should proceed to transfers where they would be re-scheduled on the 10.00 am BA flight to LHR. The rest of us were ushered through arrivals and immigration. We were met by ground staff ( not BA staff) and transported to a hotel where we were told that BA staff would greet us and explain. No BA staff on arrival at hotel and no information on options.

BA fly 3 times a day from Dubai to LHR (including the 10 am flight) and in the meantime I had checked and confirmed there was availability on all 3 flights. 3 hours later at hotel, and with no update, I began calling the executive to transfer to one of their scheduled flights. On three separate occasions, after inordinate delays on the phone, I was told they would not transfer me but could not update me about the original flight. Some 3 hours later, and on the 4th attempt, a customer service operator agreed to ‘reserve’ tickets for me to collect at check in for the 02.00 hrs flight, which we took.

long and the short of it, arrived 24 hours late and with an astonishing 700 pounds phone bill for the hours on the phone with BA executive club. I’ve heard from other passengers that the original flight did take off the following morning, but they were only informed/confirmed some 14 hours after arrival in `Dubai.

apologies for the long winded tale, but any thoughts ?
Old Apr 23, 2024, 6:15 pm

Programs: BAEC, VS Flying Club
My initial thought is why did you spend £700 on phone calls?

Skype or similar is your friend.

The good news is under UK261 legislation you’re entitled to two free phone calls in the event of a lengthy delay, so you should be able to get the two most expensive calls refunded once you submit your phone bill.

You’re also entitled to claim for food and non-alcoholic drinks you paid for yourself during the delay.

And have you put in a claim for delay compensation? You should be entitled to £520.
chris63, wrp96, chavala and 3 others like this.

Last edited by GumshoeW12; Apr 23, 2024 at 6:45 pm
Old Apr 23, 2024, 6:27 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by HKer
Grateful for any advice on this,

Briefly, departed on BA 032 Hong Kong to LHR flight. Got to within 4 hours of LHR but due to a problem with the plane we’re then diverted to Dubai! Before landing cabin crew notified a number of business class passengers around me (presumably Gold Card members) that upon landing they should proceed to transfers where they would be re-scheduled on the 10.00 am BA flight to LHR. The rest of us were ushered through arrivals and immigration. We were met by ground staff ( not BA staff) and transported to a hotel where we were told that BA staff would greet us and explain. No BA staff on arrival at hotel and no information on options.

BA fly 3 times a day from Dubai to LHR (including the 10 am flight) and in the meantime I had checked and confirmed there was availability on all 3 flights. 3 hours later at hotel, and with no update, I began calling the executive to transfer to one of their scheduled flights. On three separate occasions, after inordinate delays on the phone, I was told they would not transfer me but could not update me about the original flight. Some 3 hours later, and on the 4th attempt, a customer service operator agreed to ‘reserve’ tickets for me to collect at check in for the 02.00 hrs flight, which we took.

long and the short of it, arrived 24 hours late and with an astonishing 700 pounds phone bill for the hours on the phone with BA executive club. I’ve heard from other passengers that the original flight did take off the following morning, but they were only informed/confirmed some 14 hours after arrival in `Dubai.

apologies for the long winded tale, but any thoughts ?
I'm sorry you had this occur. I don't really understand why you spent 700 GBP on phone calls when you could have used Skype for a fraction of the cost.

With regards to "any thoughts", can you be more specific about what you're hoping to discuss? It doesn't sound pleasant, but these issues can happen when a plane has a technical issue.
Old Apr 23, 2024, 8:00 pm

While probably not what you're wanting to hear, this is the reality of what happens in the course of a flight diversion.

You mention being 4 hours out of London but you don't mention how far out of Dubai the flight was at point of diversion, therefore there could have been precious little time for BA to coordinate all the necessary services for a plane load of stranded passengers (hotels, ground transportation, meals etc..) and to either send a replacement aircraft/crew or re accommodate on locally departing flights before you landed. You can see what a logistical nightmare a diversion involves not just for you but for the airline.

BA also don't have their own ground staff at Dubai. Everything is outsourced to Dnata ... their handling agent so I imagine there may have been capacity constraints here too and collectively why perhaps communication wasn't as slick as you'd have liked.

BA's normally quite good in communicating with passengers providing you've entered your mobile number and email in to your booking but this won't necessarily be instantaneous or on a 1/1 basis. In other words group communication will be sent to all affected passengers when there is sufficient and useful information to share. Until then there may be radio silence... this doesn't mean you're being ignored or forgotten.

I think it was a nice touch that your BA crew were able to confirm to some that their bookings had already been reprotected on to the 10am departure .... before the flight had even touched down in Dubai. It shows me the airline was already aware and working the diversion at that point, it's just disappointing you weren't one of the those passengers I suppose. There also won't have necessarily been the availability to protect everyone on to scheduled services to depart immediately, especially in the aftermath of the recent floods where there'll likely be only a handful of seats here and there on any given flight. BA was certainly overbooked at the weekend in the aftermath of the flooding and subsequent diversions/cancellations that event incurred so I'm not entirely convinced there was quite the capacity of availability that you suggest. If BA could have reprotected everyone onto the 10am departure they would have done.

I certainly wouldn't have run up a £700 phone bill trying to 'sort' something that will ultimately have been (and was being) sorted anyway. You're able to submit reasonable expenses (with receipts) to BA for a phonecall in the event of delay and diversion under their duty of care policy... not quite sure they'll accept £700 as reasonable however but there's no harm in chancing your arm and seeing what happens.

As others have mentioned you're likely to be entitled to the UK261 compensation of £520 for the delayed arrival if you submit your request for this to BA. This is separate to the above.

​​​​​​If BA did reprotect you on to the BA106 departing at 0130 then completely separately to everything that's gone on, you're likely to get the Avios/Tier points for both the diverted BA32 HKG-LHR as well as the BA106 DXB-LHR... so seeing this as a double dip, coupled with the eligibe compensation, I see this as not being too bad in the great scheme of things.

Diversions can and do happen on occasions. However providing you allow sufficient time for things to be put in place and appreciate it's not going to be instantaneous or on a personable 1/1 basis with someone reaching out specifically to you, BA's probably one of the better airlines you'd want to be flying with when this happens. Others might have left you high and dry to fend for yourself (American) while non UK/EU carriers do not have the delay compensation in place to protect you for events like this (Cathay for example) had it happened to them.

EDIT
Also when is this diversion meant to have happened? There's no BA32 diversion listed on FR24 in the last 7 days.
SxMan likes this.

Last edited by 1Aturnleft; Apr 23, 2024 at 8:50 pm
Old Apr 23, 2024, 8:43 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue/Bronze, Krisflyer, Qantas
Oh dear, i've only had a few flights cancelled while at the airport but each time I have had an onwards booking in my app before leaving the airport for a hotel. Maybe the procedures are different on a redirect?
Old Apr 23, 2024, 9:12 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
I take it OP is not a very experienced traveller, has no status and redeemed the ticket with BA Executive Club.

There's not much more OP could have expected. In case of IRROPs he is at the mercy of the operating airline unless he has the ability to sort himself out or get the travel agency to do so. Tthe travel agency in this case is BAEC, which as Blue is a fat load of good. Go claim BA for the GBP 520 and the two most expensive phone calls as entitled under UK261 as suggested above.
Old Apr 23, 2024, 9:33 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
While I agree it was naive of OP to run up such a phone bill on (presumably) the hotel phone, it sounds like the lack of communication was pretty egregious. It's not hard to send out a group email with a general update, even if that update is "we don't know yet", and any pax on a diverted flight should have had no problem getting onto the first available alternative flight via phone agent or even online change.
DXB2745 likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2024, 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by zymm
... any pax on a diverted flight should have had no problem getting onto the first available alternative flight via phone agent or even online change.
Why would you think that?
The status of the travel ticket will be in flown status (ie the beep you hear when your boarding pass is scanned on boarding the flight). OP was enroute between HKG-LHR at this point. What airline is realistically going to allow you change that out easily to DXB-LHR either by phone or online when you're already enroute?

It's only by virtue the diversion was to a city served by BA. Freeing up a booking to fly something different than booked is a very manual process which takes time. It is possible and appears did happen but it takes time.

Most irrops will involve repatriating collectively the entire flight on a rescue aircraft.
Old Apr 23, 2024, 10:02 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
Why would you think that?
The status of the travel ticket will be in flown status (ie the beep you hear when your boarding pass is scanned on boarding the flight). OP was enroute between HKG-LHR at this point. What airline is realistically going to allow you change that out easily to DXB-LHR either by phone or online?

It's only by virtue the diversion was to a city served by BA. Freeing up a booking to fly something different than booked is a very manual process which takes time. It is possible and did happen but it takes time.
Admittedly I've never been on a diverted flight, nor have I worked for an airline, so my information is limited on the internal workings of the booking system, but it does seem that with some pax already being accommodated on alternate flights and hotels being booked that there is already information there that the flight terminated at DXB. If things are still archaic enough that it's not easy to reduce the problem to the status of (rather oxymoronic) regular irregular operations then they should be transparent enough to say exactly that.
Old Apr 23, 2024, 11:06 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by GumshoeW12
My initial thought is why did you spend £700 on phone calls?
I suspect the OP probably had no idea it was going to cost that much at the time.

An example from my travels, I'm Canadian and when I travel to the UK I can buy a travel package from my mobile phone provider that extends my home plan to cover when I'm in the UK. All great. I parked on the street in Richmond where I had to phone in to register to pay for parking. It was an 020 number, so I thought no problem. Of course it's voice to text and it failed to understand me, and on the second and third times dropped the call, so I gave up. When I get home and get the phone bill I get charges for $60 for calls to Cairo - for the parking calls, as Egypt isn't on my phone plan. How would I have known I wasn't actually calling a local London number?
Howard Long and wrp96 like this.
Old Apr 23, 2024, 11:19 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Jagboi
I suspect the OP probably had no idea it was going to cost that much at the time.
Your issue with parking phone lines is not relevant to the OP, so would be distracting to comment on.
Other posters have suggested Skype, which is correct, but only obvious to a seasoned traveller.
I have installed Skype on my phone and literally the only thing I use it for is phoning BA, either when abroad or when I need to ring a non-UK call centre out of hours.
And I probably wouldn't have even done that if I hadn't heard people talking about it on FT.
Old Apr 23, 2024, 11:36 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
No need to be too concerned about which airline or which origin until OP comes back - there's another version where the airline's not BA and the origin's not HKG. The commonality is DXB diversion and destination LHR.
yellow_peril likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2024, 11:39 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA Forum.

Hopefully it won't happen to you again, but if it does have a look at this thread and also consult with this forum, there are usually experts here - some of whom work for BA - who can give very precise information.

Disruption Assistance thread - signposts and what you need to know

And for claiming EC261 and Right to Care:

The 2024 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261 / UK261

The BA Forum Dashboard is the main route map to the information threads in this forum.

So this was a less than ideal situation, I'm not clear if you had the BA App, but increasingly / rightly / wrongly the App is linked to robotics which reschedule people. It doesn't always work (I had an irrop yesterday where the App didn't help) but mostly it does. But you should be able to reciaim all your costs and get EC261 compensation for the delay, just use this link
BA.com/complaints
On the final screen, when the reference number shows up, press the down arrow next to the word "..... feedback" and PDF save the complaint. Despite what it says on the screen you may not receive an email copy.

For the phone call cost, yes that may raise some eyebrows since it's so disproportionate. I hope BA will pay this, but I can't be certain since it really should not have come to that. The reason for having Skype (or one of several alternative products) on your phone is not because you want or need it, it's really because you don't want or don't need it.
wrp96, crazy8534, bisonrav and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 12:19 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Jagboi

An example from my travels, I'm Canadian and when I travel to the UK I can buy a travel package from my mobile phone provider that extends my home plan to cover when I'm in the UK. All great. I parked on the street in Richmond where I had to phone in to register to pay for parking. It was an 020 number, so I thought no problem. Of course it's voice to text and it failed to understand me, and on the second and third times dropped the call, so I gave up. When I get home and get the phone bill I get charges for $60 for calls to Cairo - for the parking calls, as Egypt isn't on my phone plan. How would I have known I wasn't actually calling a local London number?
It appears you may have failed to add the UK international dialling code (+44) when dialling the 020 London number. When roaming it is vital you add the international dialling code to calls, the international dialling code for Egypt is +20 hence you being connected to the wrong organisation in the wrong country.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 12:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
BA32 was diverted to DXB on 29 March.
Howard Long, 1Aturnleft and wrp96 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.