Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Mr & Mrs Smith Partnership Live (with Dynamic-ish Pricing)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2024, 9:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA *G

https://awardwallet.com/blog/hyatt-m...h-partnership/

A couple quick searches (on the website, not the app) are turning up what looks to be dynamic pricing. You have to click "view rates" to see points pricing. 81.5k points for The Estate Yountville in Napa for May 15 to 16 is less than one cent per point.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 10:41 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist; AA EP; Hilton Gold
A good selection of upscale properties in Hyatt weak spots (e.g., SE Asia (e.g., Chiang Mai), Italy, Greece, etc.), but interestingly a ton of ultra-luxe properties that have never been available on points: Dunton Hot Springs in Colorado, the Explora, Tierra, and Awasi properties in South America, Chable Yucatan, Hermitage Bay, Mashpi Lodge, numerous Chedis (Montenegro, Egypt, etc.), the Zannier hotels in Namibia, Shinta Mani in SE Asia, Ananda in India, the Azerais in Vietnam, Longitude 131 in Australia, and a bunch of Relais & Chateaux, LHW, and ultra-luxe boutique properties in Europe (e.g., The Retreat at Blue Lagoon and Deplar Farm in Iceland, JK Place in Capri, LeFay Resort in the Dolomites, etc.).

Many of those hotels go for ~$1.5k+ per night (or even per person per night for some of the SA properties) so makes sense Hyatt isn't imposing its award chart since they're more upscale than any Park Hyatt / Alila and in many geos the best of the best. At the same time w/ dynamic pricing I think there will be no great value for redemptions - it may be beneficial to those who have a ton of points to burn or those who were going to book a cash stay at these spots anyways and now can get night and a ton of points credit.
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 11:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA *G
Yup, this looks alright from a points earn perspective although Hyatt needs to integrate their booking platforms and normalize prices with direct bookings.

Massive downgrade from SLH from a points redeem perspective though.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 11:18 am

Programs: BA Gold
Hyatt CCs don't earn a bonus

Beware of this (from the FAQs):

​​​​​​When using my World of Hyatt Credit Card, do I earn World of Hyatt Bonus Points at Participating Mr & Mrs Smith Properties like I would at Hyatt hotels and resorts?
No. Currently, Participating Mr & Mrs Smith Properties are not considered a “Hyatt hotel or resort” for purposes of earning bonus points on World of Hyatt credit card spend.
Hopefully this isn't a permanent state of affairs but I have a feeling that it may be.
iluvdoco likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by leontief
Yup, this looks alright from a points earn perspective although Hyatt needs to integrate their booking platforms and normalize prices with direct bookings.

Massive downgrade from SLH from a points redeem perspective though.
Agreed -- completely worthless for point redemptions and very disappointing downgrade from SLH. Even if I had a massive number of points, I would never burn for 1 cent a night.

Any sense how the prices through Hyatt compare vs. direct? That was always the problem I noticed with SLH - whenever I compared, there was always a price premium to book through Hyatt, negating the benefit of the points.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 11:24 am

Programs: AA EXP; DL Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist (marriage perk)
More importantly, for the few properties I checked, the price appears to be the same via Hyatt and via Mr & Mrs Smith web page. This is a major gain over previous SLH relationship. I'm very excited about this.
Duke777 and EuropeanPete like this.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by outgoing
More importantly, for the few properties I checked, the price appears to be the same via Hyatt and via Mr & Mrs Smith web page. This is a major gain over previous SLH relationship. I'm very excited about this.
Did you compare with direct booking price? For the couple of tests I did, there seemed to be about a 3% price increase over the direct hotel price. Anyone else seeing that? If true, you're paying $0.03 to buy points by booking through Hyatt and only getting $0.01 to redeem.

Also Mr. and Mrs. Smith using comes with an extra perk or two over direct booking -- anyone seeing any of those perks on Hyatt because I have not in the couple of tests I've run.
cruisr likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 11:40 am

Programs: AA EXP; DL Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist (marriage perk)
I did not look at direct booking with hotel rather just Mr & Mrs Smith. Still it's better that what the SLH deal was where often prices were like 20+% higher on Hyatt. Well, even if I lose $0.02 vs direct booking it gives me other perks like status accumulation and milestones; so I'm pretty sure I recoup this loss one way or another.

But I just checked some hotels in Norway and the price direct and via Hyatt is the same.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 11:48 am

If straight through hyatt pricing is identical to best price through other channels then this will be useful even with the other significant reductions compared to staying at true Hyatt properties, just for the added location options. If it is slh level pricing premium, it'll be dead as Dillinger especially given the useless award pricing, which was the only theoretically useful part of the slh deal, which was already terrible overall. I could accept this as a useful option with the right pricing but we'll see. Not at all surprised at the utter lack of any other beneficial aspect like award pricing, benefits etc and it's exactly as I predicted it would be.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 12:02 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Hmm, I don't know, I think I like what I am seeing. And we get night credit, pts credit towards lifetime, get my standard point earning (minus WOH Chase CC bonus, which is a bummer), and a lot these hotels look pretty darn nice for the price. I always felt like the the SLHs were so laughably expensive for what they were (through the WOH website anyways) that I considered that partnership worthless.

And sure, I am not likely going to redeem pts here (though, appreciate that they offer the option). I always burn pts easily at good rates that I don't need this outlet for it. And, as far as redeeming goes, a lot of the SLHs were cat 7s and 8s and so were pretty darn expensive on pts anyways.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 12:07 pm

Sure. Bottom line is if pricing is in line with other channels and your aren't paying an absurd premium to get Hyatt credit and points beyond the value of those things like with slh, then it will be worth something for the new options and locations.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 12:15 pm

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by MarkOK
get my standard point earning (minus WOH Chase CC bonus, which is a bummer)
Not quite standard as you only get points for room rates, not any on property spend, which might be large amounts for some of these properties.

That is same as SLH but still a bummer, especially when combined with the lack of WOH CC bonus earn, which you did get with SLH.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 12:19 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

NO IN-HOTEL BENEFITS FOR WORLD OF HYATT MEMBERS STAYING AT PARTICIPATING MR & MRS SMITH PROPERTIES

Please also note that the In-hotel Benefits provided to Members when they stay at a Hyatt hotel or resort are not provided to Members staying at Participating Mr & Mrs Smith Properties, except that a Globalist Member staying at a Participating Mr & Mrs Smith Property will receive a room upgrade where available at check-in. (Please note that the Globalist benefit of a waived resort, destination or facility fee when paying an Eligible Rate is not valid at Participating Mr & Mrs Smith Properties.)
Sounds like our benefits are limited to base/bonus pts earnings, and room upgrade (if glob). Here's the link to the terms.
Arsene Wenger likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 12:26 pm

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Gold, BA Gold
For the 2 searches I did (Lyon and Puglia) it’s not true that you can book with points all rooms available for cash…
And redemption rate is 1-1.4ct/pt not amazing
Old Apr 24, 2024, 12:58 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, B6 Mosaic 2, AS MVP Gold
Dynamic award pricing, higher cash pricing, basically no extra benefits like with SLH, and a very slow trickle of hotels into WOH....I'm not feeling like this was the close to equal substitute for SLH that people were hoping for when this was announced

Hyatt has some real work to do, especially in non-Urban Europe, to restore their value prop there
levelnine likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.