Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC charging for seat selection during OLCI (launched, then paused)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2024, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC 50K

Adam, please move if there's a more appropriate thread already.

I'm seeing reports on social media today that AC has started charging for seat selection during check-in. In one case, this anecdotally happened to someone travelling on a standard fare. Initially I dismissed this as user error, but the AC website now says, under "When you check in: To change your assigned seat, choose from the remaining seats. A fee may apply depending on the seat you have selected and the fare you purchased".

If true, my non-status family members traveling on standard fares will want to know there's no benefit to waiting until OLCI if this is the case. Can anyone on FT confirm if this is indeed a new policy?
Old Apr 24, 2024, 12:39 pm

It seems like people on Reddit are experiencing the same thing, which CS confirmed

https://www.reddit.com/r/aircanada/c...ange_on_check/
Old Apr 24, 2024, 1:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by salteen
Adam, please move if there's a more appropriate thread already.

I'm seeing reports on social media today that AC has started charging for seat selection during check-in. In one case, this anecdotally happened to someone travelling on a standard fare. Initially I dismissed this as user error, but the AC website now says, under "When you check in: To change your assigned seat, choose from the remaining seats. A fee may apply depending on the seat you have selected and the fare you purchased".

If true, my non-status family members traveling on standard fares will want to know there's no benefit to waiting until OLCI if this is the case. Can anyone on FT confirm if this is indeed a new policy?
I was all ready to reply saying "Were they trying to select a Preferred seat?"

But I guess it's interesting. You buy a fare that doesn't include seat selection, why should that change at T-24?

TBH, as someone who often books extremely last minute flights, this is finally a positive for me. All the good seats won't be gone at T-23:59.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 1:49 pm

In theory if you checkin and don't like the assigned seat could you remove your self from checkin, then re-checkin and see if you get a "better" seat?
flyingcrooked likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 1:56 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold LT
Originally Posted by skiier97
In theory if you checkin and don't like the assigned seat could you remove your self from checkin, then re-checkin and see if you get a "better" seat?
How can you remove yourself from checkin? Do you have to do that over the phone or with an agent?
Old Apr 24, 2024, 2:05 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
I'm not surprised. AC certainly wasn't the first airline to do this. It's all part of unbundling to make fares look cheaper. Until we force consumer-friendly disclosure of these fees in Canada, expect more of these 'surprises'.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by smilee
How can you remove yourself from checkin? Do you have to do that over the phone or with an agent?
After completing the checkin process if you try to access the checkin page again, you'll have a "remove from checkin" button
Old Apr 24, 2024, 2:12 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
It depends how they do it. I wouldn't count on the seat changing. Once you are accepted the system may 'lock' that seat selection for you. Amadeus has lots of capabilities in its departure management system to manage seat assignments, including theoretical assignments and seat shuffling.

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
I'm not surprised. AC certainly wasn't the first airline to do this. It's all part of unbundling to make fares look cheaper. Until we force consumer-friendly disclosure of these fees in Canada, expect more of these 'surprises'.
When I flew AY J last year, you had to pay for seat selection, and it was the same experience during OLCI .. you were assigned a seat and if you wanted to move you had to pay. Be thankful AC doesn't charge for seat selection in J (yet).
Adam Smith and flyingcrooked like this.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC 50K
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
I can't say I'm surprised either, and I don't necessarily disagree with it in principle, for reasons discussed upthread. But it's a rather significant policy change that hasn't been communicated, and that's what's confusing/surprising/annoying people.
kalderlake and flyingcrooked like this.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 3:21 pm

WestJet gets around it by assigning you the seat prior to the start of OLCI. You'd open OLCI to see 29B (or whatever), then you need to pay to change it to anything else.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 3:22 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

Has it ever been stated in the fare rules that seat selection would be no charge after check-in? Or was it simply a loophole practice that now being policed?
Old Apr 24, 2024, 4:09 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
YYZ-PUJ tomo, asked to pay $30 to select a seat at OLCI
I guess one less reason to pick AC over West Jet in some cases.

Last edited by Jumper Jack; Apr 24, 2024 at 4:20 pm
Old Apr 24, 2024, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
YYZ-PUT tomo, asked to pay $30 to select a seat at OLCI
I guess one less reason to pick AC over West Jet in some cases.
I didn't know AC flew to Sri Sathya Sai Airport from YYZ. And even more surprised WS does.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 4:20 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by PLeblond
I didn't know AC flew to Sri Sathya Sai Airport from YYZ. And even more surprised WS does.
Sorry was a typo :/
Old Apr 24, 2024, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
Sorry was a typo :/
Yeah... I figured... just couldn't resist.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.