Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Booking a 5 year a ticket seperate from parents

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2024, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

So long story short - trying to book a ticket for my 5 year old daughter. Mom and Dad (myself) each have enough points for ourselves, then will pay cash for daughter's tickets. The tickets are international, and I am pretty sure I can't just book the 5 year old's ticket online by itself - has anyone done this? Do we need to book via phone?

cheers
Old Apr 26, 2024, 12:20 pm

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
Originally Posted by Scotttyd
So long story short - trying to book a ticket for my 5 year old daughter. Mom and Dad (myself) each have enough points for ourselves, then will pay cash for daughter's tickets. The tickets are international, and I am pretty sure I can't just book the 5 year old's ticket online by itself - has anyone done this? Do we need to book via phone?

cheers
I cannot speak with any level of authority, but call American Airlines. No clue if AA charges to book via phone; but whatever the cost, it is worth it.
KBMIFlyer and benfro6 like this.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 2:44 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
IME phone agents have the authority to waive a phone booking fee and are not that reluctant to do it if there's a logical reason.
travelingdrsuz and JPG3392 like this.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 3:16 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Even if the web site allowed this, you would still have to call to get the tickets linked. Might as well call early on.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 3:18 pm

Yes, it's possible. A travel agent can do it or you can call AA directly. I doubt the website will let you do it, but essentially it's just a matter of setting up the paid reservation and then linking it iwith the award reservations on the backend so AA's automations don't flag your 5 year old as an unregistered unaccompanied minor.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 5:15 pm

Cant speak for AA, but I do it all the time on the Southwest website. When you enter the minor's age when booking their ticket separately, it asks for the confirmation number of the adult who will be traveling with the minor. The minor's ticket is then linked to the adult. The adult cant alter their ticket online unless they cancel the minor's ticket first.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 5:56 pm

Aa doesn’t work like southwest you are better off calling at the offset and getting it done
MathMusic, hhdl and travelingdrsuz like this.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 6:09 pm

Since its international travel, it would be better to book one adult and the child together on the award ticket and the other adult on the revenue ticket. There are various reasons to keep the child pared with an adult on the PNR - easier to book, checkin, go thru TSA security, and removes any obstacles that other countries might present.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MrSpicoli
Since its international travel, it would be better to book one adult and the child together on the award ticket and the other adult on the revenue ticket. There are various reasons to keep the child pared with an adult on the PNR - easier to book, checkin, go thru TSA security, and removes any obstacles that other countries might present.
Agree.
The adult then could also earn ff miles ~ status where as the child may not. Pay cash for the ticket of adult where the ff miles will be the most benift in the future. But consider the status benefits, if any, the award or paying passenger may get on this trip.

AA thread --> FAQ: TCP, "Linking" / link / merge itineraries / PNR (master thread)
Uzzar likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 7:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

There is a very good reason not to - book adult + child on award and adult paid vs 2 adult award plus child paid, will involve paying the same amount of miles but paying the higher cost for an adult vs child
benfro6 likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2024, 6:11 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Yes, it won’t let you book a ticket for a 5 year-old with no adults online. You’ll need to book hers via phone and have the agent link your record locator with hers (but it’ll be a separate locator since award tix can’t be on the same locator as paid ones). We used to do this all the time when we travelled with our kids when they were younger, although we do the reverse: we book our kids on the award ticket and pay cash for ours, so we can accrue the miles for the paid ticket. You might want to consider doing it that way unless there’s a reason you want to let your daughter accrue the miles instead.
Scotttyd likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2024, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

but that isn't possible in our situation
P1 has enough miles for one pax
P2 had enough miles for one pax
third ticket = cash
There will be three different reservations regardless of how we do it.

I guess I could do P1 book P1 + child one way
p2 book p1 + child the other way

Then P2 pays cash
Old Apr 27, 2024, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
I guess I could do P1 book P1 + child one way
p2 book p1 + child the other way

Then P2 pays cash
Exactly.
Old Apr 27, 2024, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Delete - I was confused.
Old Apr 27, 2024, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
(Deleted.)

Last edited by guv1976; Apr 27, 2024 at 2:30 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.