Community
Wiki Posts
Search

D1 330 vs 350L

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2024, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

D1 330 vs 350L

Flying back to the US from ATH and have to transfer in either JFK or ATL. ATL is the somewhat controversial but also comfortable 350 ex LATAM and JFK is the 330-300 older product. ATL routing is a little bit better for me because we can clear immigration there vs JFK and also the 2nd leg will be shorter, but its a 9ish hour flight so would rather have the better seat for that leg. Opinions on the two options?

Edit- flying with my wife so stepping over neighbor isnt an issue

Last edited by precision80; Apr 26, 2024 at 7:13 pm
Old Apr 26, 2024, 2:01 pm

Programs: Delta, JetBlue, Marriott
I just flew the A330-300 AMS-DTW. Pretty good for an "older" product. Personally, the thing that keeps me away from the ex-LATAM A350 is lack of direct aisle access for some seats.
rylan likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 2:29 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
2-2-2 is to be avoided if traveling solo. I find the A330 fine.
rylan and buckeye91 like this.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 2:40 pm

You can always sit in a middle row seat if you want direct aisle access on the A350. I would choose a more modern aircraft even if the layout isn't as ideal. Supposedly the jetlag would be better on the A350 as well due to the cabin pressurization system improvements.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Personally I haven't flown on the ex-LATAM 350 yet, but I have plenty of times on the 'older' 330, and I find those 330 D1 seats perfectly comfortable and like the window seats with direct aisle access. From what I've seen, I'd rather the 330 seats and config over the ex-latam 350 2-2-2 when traveling by myself.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 9:58 pm

Programs: DL DM
If you're ok with the limited privacy, the ex-LATAM A350 is actually quite nice for sleeping (or napping, in your case of a daytime flight). I've found the seat to be a little wider than other DeltaOne seats and the "ottoman" instead of a footwell lets your feet be free, giving plenty of room to stretch out! Another benefit, as you are traveling with your wife, is that you both will be close enough to carry on a conversation, as opposed to the A330-300, where you are angled and have to awkwardly lean forward to see each other. There isn't much room on the armrest to put your stuff--that's my one gripe.

Especially since the routing via ATL seems to work better for you, I'd go with it. The only thing that would sway me toward JFK would be if the DeltaOne lounge is open and you wanted to try that out.
Old Apr 27, 2024, 12:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
LATAM A350s are bit easier to get over the person next to you. There's a bit extra space so unless totally immobile you shouldn't have issue. I also find the seats very comfortable. Even solo I have no issue with A35L in window seat. (I just flew to AKL actually on it and enjoyed it)
Old Apr 27, 2024, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Thanks all for the feedback. Two follow up questions, have all the 350's got wifi now? Does ATL not have a D1 Lounge and is there any arrival lounge option?
Old Apr 27, 2024, 1:28 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by precision80
Thanks all for the feedback. Two follow up questions, have all the 350's got wifi now? Does ATL not have a D1 Lounge and is there any arrival lounge option?
If ATL is your final destination, you might not be able to physically access a lounge to use on arrival.

At this point, the only airports scheduled to get D1 lounges are JFK, LAX, BOS (and maybe SEA, though I forget if that's been confirmed).
Old Apr 28, 2024, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
They should have wifi
However TPAC you may not have service due to lack of satellite by provider.

No airport currently has a D1 lounge. ATL isn't on list currently to get one. JFK/LAX are 1st.
Old Apr 29, 2024, 10:15 am

Programs: DL Diamond/1MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
The ex-LA seats, while 2-2-2, are vastly more comfortable. Since it's a daytime flight, though, I wouldn't worry as much about the sleeping (ottomans always win over footwells for me). Since it's ex-LA, however, there won't be air vents at each seat (and to be fair, there aren't air vents on the DL A359s in the middle seats of D1). So if you're a fan of circulation/feeling cooler, the A333 would be better.
precision80 likes this.
Old May 1, 2024, 10:47 pm

Programs: DL DM
The last ex-LATAM A350 I was on had WiFi for $25 (I assume this means it was GoGo?)

If you have an AmEx, the new AmEx lounge in ATL concourse E (international arrivals) is pretty nice.
precision80 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.