Community
Wiki Posts
Search

600 Tier Points, but Downgraded to Bronze?

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2024, 7:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: United: 1K, BA: Silver, IHG: Plat, Hyatt: Plat, Marriott: Gold, SPG: Gold, Avis: Chairman
600 Tier Points, but Downgraded to Bronze?

I'm not sure if this is a gremlin in the change in tier points years for BA... My collection year is/was 8th March to 8th March. I collected exactly 600 Tier points and this was shown in my account, app and in the foot of all the e-mails BA send... Now today i got a notification that i was downgraded to Bronze!

Been on the phone with 2 agents at Exec club, very frustrating. They are adament i only collected 530.... Even though they can see -600 Tier points going through on 9th March 2024 for my year reset... They can't explain it, but won't accept i had 600! The first agent as adament that my collection year was April to April (i collected point in March 23, but not March 24). I can still see 8th March 2025 as the collection year end in app and website, but she said on her side it was showing April. Second agent was a bit better and did say she could see my account was March to March.

They have asked me to e-mail them evidence of the 600 and call back tomorrow! I didn't capture any screenshots of the app or my account showing 600 was reached (didn't think i'd have to provide evidence back to BA!), but luckily i have the e-mail statements... and the -600 transaction in my account showing.

From recent e-mail footer...

-600 points on reset date... yet they claim I didn't reach 600..!

Anyone ever experienced anything like this before?! Any advise on what to do or who to escalate to?

The final agent said "even if the App and account miscalculated", they would have to look to 'make an exception' to upgrade me to Silver..! What?! are we supposed to now keep our own spreadsheets to track tier points because the BA IT is so unrealiable...

Crazy...!

Last edited by travellermatt; May 2, 2024 at 7:13 am
Old May 2, 2024, 7:10 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by travellermatt
I'm not sure if this is a gremlin in the change in tier points years for BA... My collection year is/was 8th March to 8th March. I collected exactly 600 Tier points and this was shown in my account, app and in the foot of all the e-mails BA send... Now today i got a notification that i was downgraded to Bronze!

Been on the phone with 2 agents at Exec club, very frustrating. They are adament i only collected 530.... Even though they can see -600 Tier points going through on 9th March 2024 for my year reset... They can't explain it, but won't accept i had 600! The first agent as adament that my collection year was April to April (i collected point in March 23, but not March 24). I can still see 8th March 2025 as the collection year end in app and website, but she said on her side it was showing April. Second agent was a bit better and did say she could see my account was March to March.

They have asked me to e-mail them evidence of the 600 and call back tomorrow! I didn't capture any screenshots of the app or my account showing 600 was reached (didn't think i'd have to provide evidence back to BA!), but luckily i have the e-mail statements... and the -600 transaction in my account showing.

Anyone ever experienced anything like this before?! Any advise on what to do or who to escalate to?

The final agent said "even if the App and account miscalculated", they would have to look to 'make an exception' to upgrade me to Silver..! What?! are we supposed to now keep our own spreadsheets to track tier points because the BA IT is so unrealiable...

Crazy...!
I would redact your membership number.
Old May 2, 2024, 7:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: United: 1K, BA: Silver, IHG: Plat, Hyatt: Plat, Marriott: Gold, SPG: Gold, Avis: Chairman
Originally Posted by krispy84
I would redact your membership number.
Yeah, already did that! Trying to work out how to delete the thread and repost...
Old May 2, 2024, 7:12 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Firstly, you should remove your executive club number from any screenshots posted on here.

Secondly, was any of the Tier points earned part of the double tier points BAH promotion?
Old May 2, 2024, 7:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SonicStar817
Firstly, you should remove your executive club number from any screenshots posted on here.

Secondly, was any of the Tier points earned part of the double tier points BAH promotion?
Is it still showing? I edited the post... tried to delete the whole thing, but doesn't seem to be an option.

Yes, there were double points from Holidays, all posted correctly though and showing in the statement...
Old May 2, 2024, 7:22 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Is it still showing? I edited the post... tried to delete the whole thing, but doesn't seem to be an option.

Yes, there were double points from Holidays, all posted correctly though and showing in the statement...
No it's not anymore. You removed it when I was writing my post.

Anyways, there's been reports here in the past that the double tier points weren't counting in the final total for some reason. If you mention this to them the next time you call, they can probably fix it.
Old May 2, 2024, 8:17 am

Programs: BA Gold
Here's a handy link I bookmarked from an old thread: https://www.britishairways.com/trave...userType=agent

It gives you a full breakdown of Tier History. For your most recent year, does it show your end of year points total as 600? And what date you got those awarded? That could be useful evidence when going back to BA.

For example, my tier point year runs October to October. Last year, I squeaked in at Gold on the 2nd October, qualifying just before my TP reset on 8 Oct 23:

Old May 2, 2024, 8:32 am

Programs: BAEC
I seem to remember mentioned in a few threads that a number of people in this situation had done double TP trips close to year end. The normal points showed up when flights were taken. But the double points showed up after the year end and mistakenly got credited to the new year. This was viewed as good news if you didn’t need the points in the old year and you got a head start on the new year. Then at the end of that new year, someone belatedly decided to “correctly” attribute them to that old year. In a way that’s right, but kind of uncool for people who were on the cusp and logically just looked at the year’s balance as a guide to how many points they had. And particularly uncool as this was done after the end of the new year so no chance to make up the difference.
crazy8534 and Ldnn1 like this.

Last edited by RichieMc; May 2, 2024 at 9:18 am
Old May 2, 2024, 9:10 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold

Crazy...!
Well I think there might be two things possible here:

Confusion about your old BA year with the new BA year. You might have the right number of tier points in one but not the other.

Have you done the correct number of BA qualifying flights for Silver? You only need two for Bronze but four for Silver.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old May 2, 2024, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GM1985
Here's a handy link I bookmarked from an old thread: https://www.britishairways.com/trave...userType=agent

It gives you a full breakdown of Tier History. For your most recent year, does it show your end of year points total as 600? And what date you got those awarded? That could be useful evidence when going back to BA.

For example, my tier point year runs October to October. Last year, I squeaked in at Gold on the 2nd October, qualifying just before my TP reset on 8 Oct 23:

Thanks!

Yes, this link shows only 540TP for the year :-( and from the other post, i can now see that i had a 60TP Holidays bonus "posted" on the 20th March, but "transaction date" of 26th, so that showed on the tracker for this year, but counted for last year apparently...

I really don't know what to say TBH, i've been Gold/Silver for many years with BA and experienced the annoying IT issues they have, but nothing that fundamentally changed my flying/benefits. This is clearly and obviously an error/issue with the BA system that has completely screwed my TP collection strategy!

If i'd known i was only on 540 i could have put in for a status extension as we had a new baby in March, but i figured there was no point in applying for a 1 year extension, as i was already extended by 1 year through qualification.... or so i thought/was told by the BA app/was told by the BA e-mails!
Old May 2, 2024, 4:03 pm

Programs: BA Gold
That’s unfortunate! It sounds like your only hope is to throw yourself at BA’s mercy and make the case that if your Tier Point total accurately reflected your true total, and didn’t include those stray 60 TPs from your previous year, you would have acted differently in order to requalify. There have been past reports of status being extended to people who didn’t reach a status threshold, but the criteria for that is understandably opaque.
BHD Belle and Robert279 like this.
Old May 2, 2024, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Others had this happen. It seems most people have had little luck getting their status reinstated or at least they haven't returned to report a successful outcome; although there seems to have been a report or two of success.
​​​​​​BA holiday double tier points not honoured
Downgraded due to incorrect BA Hols bonus allocation
Silver has not renewed correctly
​​​​​​BA Holidays Double Tier Points Promotion | 2024 edition
Old May 9, 2024, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
Others had this happen. It seems most people have had little luck getting their status reinstated or at least they haven't returned to report a successful outcome; although there seems to have been a report or two of success.
​​​​​​BA holiday double tier points not honoured
Downgraded due to incorrect BA Hols bonus allocation
Silver has not renewed correctly
​​​​​​BA Holidays Double Tier Points Promotion | 2024 edition

Just thought I'd report back... After speaking to several different agents on the phone and BA twitter support, no one got back to me at all (after many promises of getting back to me!)... However, today I got an auto exec club email letting me know that I'd been "upgraded" to silver! Not sure which of the various cases or contact routes resulted in that, as I didn't get any other communication from anyone!

Even better news is that they seem to have extended my silver all the way until April 2026 (as per the card expiry date in the app), rather than 2025 as I would have expected!
Old May 9, 2024, 3:18 pm

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Just thought I'd report back... After speaking to several different agents on the phone and BA twitter support, no one got back to me at all (after many promises of getting back to me!)... However, today I got an auto exec club email letting me know that I'd been "upgraded" to silver! Not sure which of the various cases or contact routes resulted in that, as I didn't get any other communication from anyone!

Even better news is that they seem to have extended my silver all the way until April 2026 (as per the card expiry date in the app), rather than 2025 as I would have expected!
Yep, that's the "bank error in your favour" that seems to happen a lot in these situations. Personally I saw it as just recompense for all the faffing around to get it sorted...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.