Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Tactics to have the best experience LHR-HND

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2024, 8:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA

Thinking about how to maximise the First experience and deal with jetlag. Flight is from 13:00 BST to 10:55 JST.
  • Brunch in lounge around 11:00 BST
  • Dinner on the plane around 17:00 BST
  • Sleep from 18:00 - 01:30 BST
  • Breakfast 01:30 BST
  • Land 02:55 BST / 10:55 JST
Old May 2, 2024, 8:44 am

Programs: BAEC
I'm on the same flight in October (although in Club World). Will be flying from BHD so likely leaving the house at 07:30. Going to try and wake up around 05:00 so that I am slightly more adjusted timewise. Will also try to wake up/go to bed early a few days in advance as well.
On the flight the plan would be to fall asleep around the same time you are thinking.
Old May 2, 2024, 9:44 am

To have the best experience I would recommend flying JAL.
Old May 2, 2024, 9:49 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by worldtrav
To have the best experience I would recommend flying JAL.
... and not just in terms of the hard/soft product but in terms of timing.
stevie, roberto99, DXB2745 and 1 others like this.
Old May 2, 2024, 10:02 am

Programs: BA
I’ll also be flying this route in October, first flight is from EDI at 07:05 meaning leaving home at around 04:00. That’s a heck of an early start for a crumbly like me 😂 Overall I think I’ll be on the move for around 24 hours so will certainly be taking every opportunity for a snooze 😴
Old May 2, 2024, 10:24 am

Programs: BA Gold
*Waves at everyone*
Im on The BA flight back from HND in club suites in 1A on the A350 in August (shudders at the heat and humidity),
i'm flying down there on finnair in the lounge seat,am a real fan of it,so spacious and comfortable,starting in DUB at a respectable 1015am with the onwards to HND around tea time,with a nice 2 hours in the platinum eing lounge,seat 2A for that but dont know if the long hauls have BA codeshares for those of you using say LHR HEL HND or starting in BHD on a BAH yielding an extra 160 tp's ex Belfast giving a total of 1040 tp's ?
Hearing good things about the Jal F lounge in HND too,so should get a couple of hours there prior ?
Old May 2, 2024, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

https://sleepopolis.com/calculators/jet-lag/
crazy8534 and stewaran like this.
Old May 2, 2024, 10:59 am

Programs: Meh
Originally Posted by Earthman
*Waves at everyone*
Im on The BA flight back from HND in club suites in 1A on the A350 in August (shudders at the heat and humidity),
i'm flying down there on finnair in the lounge seat,am a real fan of it,so spacious and comfortable,starting in DUB at a respectable 1015am with the onwards to HND around tea time,with a nice 2 hours in the platinum eing lounge,seat 2A for that but dont know if the long hauls have BA codeshares for those of you using say LHR HEL HND or starting in BHD on a BAH yielding an extra 160 tp's ex Belfast giving a total of 1040 tp's ?
Hearing good things about the Jal F lounge in HND too,so should get a couple of hours there prior ?
Been since before Covid but JAL F lounge is very nice. Actually the whole HND experience is very nice.
Earthman and DeathSlam like this.
Old May 2, 2024, 11:26 am

Programs: BAEC GGLfL
I would recommend being tranquillised by a good vet.
Old May 2, 2024, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
What side is the best for LHR-HND and return? A or K? or either?
Old May 2, 2024, 11:50 am
Ambassador: Oneworld Alliance

Programs: BA Gold (GGL), Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Finland Station
I would recommend being tranquillised by a good vet.
I am not a bad vet, so could help.

We will be doing this exact flight in about 10 days, fortunately up the front. The time management (14 hours) has been making me think. The main issue (for me, not my good lady) will to avoid becoming 'over-refreshed'. Getting to sleep at a reasonable hour (Japan time) may need a bit of veterinary pharmacological assistance; we will have to see. We did a similar trip to HK a good few years ago and managed fairly well. But this is going to be a challenge.
Old May 2, 2024, 12:57 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by GodAtum
Thinking about how to maximise the First experience and deal with jetlag. Flight is from 13:00 BST to 10:55 JST.
  • Brunch in lounge around 11:00 BST
  • Dinner on the plane around 17:00 BST
  • Sleep from 18:00 - 01:30 BST
  • Breakfast 01:30 BST
  • Land 02:55 BST / 10:55 JST
OP : is your post intended to be an invitation to critique a proposal, or is it helpful, contributive advice from your own experiences of your previous trips in F to the Far East ?
Old May 2, 2024, 1:11 pm

Programs: Honors Diamond
Your plan looks solid.

Couple of suggestions. Get up early and get to the CCR for 0930ish to relax a little before lunch. And an early start will help you sleep early evening UK time.

Also an hour for dinner is optimistic to have the whole menu on BA First.
Old May 2, 2024, 1:42 pm

Programs: Virgin Flying Club
OP you can use Timeshifter app which will help you plan - you get a free return flights suggestion when you download without having to pay. Used it for a 14 hour HEL - ICN last year and worked a charm. Tells you when to sleep, get light, not drink caffeine or alcohol and starts you a few days before - helps you plan to manage both the flight time (eg when nap time is) and jet lag.
Old May 2, 2024, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

This is my proposal for my flight.

How long would a full dinner service take?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.