Spontaneous Sicilian Splendour. Palermo in a day

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2024, 8:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum, FlyingBlue Gold, Hilton Gold, Mucci des repas d'enfant

A bit of a wild card, I’ve booked a very last minute trip this week, choosing to avoid a three-day weekend at home. I decided to use some of my rewards for a quick getaway and Palermo, a place I've never visited before, fit perfectly for a short diversion from tonight to Sunday.

The itinerary is as follows:

I'll head out to the airport soon for the hop to Heathrow and stay overnight at the Sheraton for the first time.
Tomorrow I have an early flight to Palermo, giving me the afternoon and evening to explore.
Sunday morning will be leisurely, likely consisting of a long breakfast and then off to the airport
Finally, return to Heathrow and onwards to Newcastle Sunday evening.

At present both the Palermo outbound and return flights are on the wet lease Danish Air Transport A321 and hopefully it stays that way and I can see what the fuss is about.

And there’s the fun of a train ride from the Airport to Palermo and back as a car transfer is almost the same price as the entire trip!

With that brief preamble it’s time to sort out my life and make tracks to the airport.
Old May 3, 2024, 8:27 am

Programs: Travel Agent for Four Seasons Preferred program, Marriott Stars, Hyatt Prive, Rosewood Elite
It’s great to see you making the most out of a quick getaway!
JapesUK likes this.
Old May 3, 2024, 8:43 am

Excellent - I haven't been to Palermo for 10+ years so looking forward to the catch up. It's about the same length of time since I was at the LHR Sheraton too, I try never to nightstop at LHR now so also interesting.
JapesUK likes this.
Old May 3, 2024, 8:56 am

Programs: BA Silver, Virgin Red, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Looking forward to your report, unfortunately I’ve never been so you’re on your own for dining options this time😉
JapesUK likes this.
Old May 3, 2024, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum, FlyingBlue Gold, Hilton Gold, Mucci des repas d'enfant
Originally Posted by atcodave
Looking forward to your report, unfortunately I’ve never been so you’re on your own for dining options this time😉
Dining options sorted for this one, a night food tour
Old May 3, 2024, 9:24 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Plat, M&M FTL, BA Blue, QR Gold
The train is not too bad at all (at € 6.80 single). There's lots of stops in Palermo, you've sorted out which one is best for you?
JapesUK likes this.
Old May 3, 2024, 9:25 am

And there’s the fun of a train ride from the Airport to Palermo and back as a car transfer is almost the same price as the entire trip!

With that brief preamble it’s time to sort out my life and make tracks to the airport.[/QUOTE]

Hey JapaesUK,

I love to read your reports so looking forward to this one. just been back from a week there with some friends and enjoy a lot of food and enjoy us.

Just a question, why are you taking the train. There is a bus running to downtown from the airport which works perfect. Other than that just enjoy all the streetfood.
JapesUK likes this.
Old May 3, 2024, 10:00 am
Original Poster

tom tulpe Thanks for calling out the multiple stations, all sorted, closest one to the hotel is 20 minutes away

FRASEVEN Thanks! To be completely honest I didn’t even consider the bus! Train tickets bought already, very cheap compared to the three digit private transfer quote.
Old May 3, 2024, 10:09 am
Original Poster

And we’re off! Uber must have been waiting for me, he arrived inside the minute. The trip to the airport was traffic free, cannot say the same for the opposite direction, there were some major queues.

Newcastle airport in the daylight! I don’t ever remember travelling through the airport this late in the day

Security looked to be a bit backed up from in front of the boarding pass gates but in fact there were only two scanners running as it was quiet, and everything was moving smoothly.

My bags went straight through, no secondary for either, My favourite NCL sign.

And so to departures.

As you enter departures the first hostelry to the right is Bar11 which looked a bit dark and uninviting

Next to this is the newly reopened Aster and Thyme which is my first stop
Old May 3, 2024, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by JapesUK
tom tulpe Thanks for calling out the multiple stations, all sorted, closest one to the hotel is 20 minutes away
Which station is it? Some areas in Palermo can be a bit dicey.
JapesUK likes this.
Old May 3, 2024, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Because I have a few hours to play with I’ve decided to visit a couple of the bars before heading to the lounge and the first stop is Aster and Thyme

A fairly compact all day menu, a speciality menu, and a fairly comprehensive drinks menu.

And the first order of the day, a pint of Cruzcampo and some olives with chilli pearls. The olives are good but the chilli pearls taste of nothing to me.

Old May 3, 2024, 10:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tom tulpe
Which station is it? Some areas in Palermo can be a bit dicey.
It’s Palermo Lolli which looks to be almost a straight line towards the water to get to my hotel.
Old May 3, 2024, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Nice start to another report. NCL looks so much nicer and more inviting than MAN, the armpit of UK airports.
Tocsin and JapesUK like this.
Old May 3, 2024, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by JapesUK
It’s Palermo Lolli which looks to be almost a straight line towards the water to get to my hotel.
Should be OK (is it the Vecchio Borgo?), certainly during daylight hours.
JapesUK likes this.
Old May 3, 2024, 10:43 am
Original Poster

My second stop is the recently revamped Tap + Brew which I took a few pictures of recently when the hoardings first came down.

Ever since the hoardings came down and I did a fly by I have been itching to return for one thing and one thing only, the afternoon stottie menu!

Moretti is the beer of choice at this stop and I was also given this little bag of crisps to keep the wolf from the door whilst I await the arrival of my Stottie.

Which, with perfect timing, has just arrived

Smells good! Time to eat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.