Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New IFE Flight path limitations on some 737s

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New IFE Flight path limitations on some 737s

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2024, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K3MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium , Hertz PC
Question New IFE Flight path limitations on some 737s

On some of the newer IFE the Flight path feature allows to choose different view points .. including the cool cockpit view including heads up display ...

Does anyone knows why some of the views including this one cant be selected during approach/landing (below 10000feet ...) ?

is it because some of the view can cause discomfort for some passenger ... high speed / low altitude .. ?
Old May 3, 2024, 3:53 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Security concerns?
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old May 3, 2024, 3:56 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM
On ANA you can. It's just a graphic anyhow. Not 3D or anything.

But i do like the landing gear one. Is that available on UA?
Old May 3, 2024, 4:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I've found that every airline I've flown recently has done this. I'm sure it's all in the name of security.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 3, 2024 at 4:27 pm Reason: Let's not go OMNI
Old May 3, 2024, 4:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Security concerns?
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I've found that every airline I've flown recently has done this. I'm sure it's all in the name of security.
What's the rationale? Some other carriers have actual cameras that one can view throughout the entire flight.
Old May 3, 2024, 5:14 pm

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by econ
What's the rationale? Some other carriers have actual cameras that one can view throughout the entire flight.
Trying not to go OMNI on this, but some may feel there is much more identifiable info on the provided example.
I have no idea of the objection or agreeing, but rather just threw it out as a possibly. But let's not get into a OMNI debate on security, this is not the place for that.
Please offer an alternative suggestion
Old May 3, 2024, 5:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Ok fine. I guess I'll consider myself lucky that it's still allowed to keep the window shades open during takeoff/landing.

Actually, it never would have crossed my mind that it was for the reason mentioned. I figured it was because the IFE system didn't have the capability to generate a realistic graphic at low altitudes.
Keystone and wxguy like this.
Old May 3, 2024, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by econ
... Actually, it never would have crossed my mind that it was for the reason mentioned. I figured it was because the IFE system didn't have the capability to generate a realistic graphic at low altitudes.
Did not think of that, very plausible
SPN Lifer and Auto Enthusiast like this.
Old May 3, 2024, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Poorly written software, limited local storage, and limiting the amount data to reproduce the terrain views at various heights of the flight....

naaaaah... The horror if it was true.
SPN Lifer, CJ99, Repooc17 and 2 others like this.
Old May 4, 2024, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by ryman554
On ANA you can. It's just a graphic anyhow. Not 3D or anything.

But i do like the landing gear one. Is that available on UA?
You mean outside cameras? Not available on UA.
Old May 4, 2024, 10:04 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
Originally Posted by DataPlumber
Poorly written software, limited local storage, and limiting the amount data to reproduce the terrain views at various heights of the flight....
Agreed. The data is way too low res. Flight simulator really heats up my GPU when close to the ground but frame rate soars when above 10k.
Old May 4, 2024, 1:55 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Not sure I understand the security concern here other than perhaps clueless bureaucrats? I can easily reproduce the same information on my phone using faster wifi (ok, not on United), google maps satellite view, iPhone compass for altitude, and I'm sure there are other apps that would show more detail to bring everything together in one screen.

The same silliness that causes some crews to refuse Ch9, even though I can just listen on my phone through the LiveATC app

Delta has a similar feature in their IFE, but the views were not disabled - however the information wasn't exactly that accurate.
Old May 4, 2024, 2:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Say Vandelay
Agreed. The data is way too low res. Flight simulator really heats up my GPU when close to the ground but frame rate soars when above 10k.
Exactly my thought.

Also, the "security" argument is probably more of a "privacy" argument. Though since people can look out the window and satellite and streetview is available online, I don't know about that argument.

I think they just have a satellite map of the world loaded in memory somewhere. The amount of storage needed goes up exponentially as you zoom in. So they cut of off somewhere and then use "digital zoom" to get closer. Ofcourse you can't zoom in forever or it would look terrible so they set a limit.

A video camera (like other airlines) would be much cooler.

I'd happily give up all that if they'd just get working Ch9 again. Thus far, I have not successfully been able to follow a complete flight using liveATC. The map display is something I can easily reproduce in greater detail and accuracy on my phone.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 5, 2024, 5:41 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Delta has a similar feature in their IFE, but the views were not disabled - however the information wasn't exactly that accurate.
DL definitely turns off the cockpit, etc. views at 10k feet. AF likewise, although exterior cameras remain on from gate to gate.
Old May 5, 2024, 11:37 am

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by hhdl
DL definitely turns off the cockpit, etc. views at 10k feet. AF likewise, although exterior cameras remain on from gate to gate.
Well 🤷🏼‍♂️ not on the two Delta flights I was on last month. Maybe they need to be turned off manually?

The whole thing makes no sense at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.