Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

How to earn 5 Status points outside of HK without flying?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2024, 2:45 am
Original Poster

Im short 5 status pts to Silver and live outside of HK.

Other than flying, is there any other way to earn 5 status points?

Thanks
Old May 4, 2024, 3:04 am

Programs: OneWorld Emerald (BA GGL), *A Silver (Miles & Less), Skyteam Pleb (KLM FlyingBlue), Mucci Platinum
Originally Posted by HawaiiO

Thanks
As far as I'm aware, status points come only from flying (and not credit card spend etc which can get you Asia Miles).

I'm not sure I understand the relevance of you living outside of HK though. Whether you live in or outside of Hong Kong won't impact your ability to get status points: surely the relevant question is what Oneworld routes are available from your home city?
Old May 4, 2024, 3:08 am

Programs: JL Diamond, CX Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Too much travel
As far as I'm aware, status points come only from flying (and not credit card spend etc which can get you Asia Miles).

I'm not sure I understand the relevance of you living outside of HK though. Whether you live in or outside of Hong Kong won't impact your ability to get status points: surely the relevant question is what Oneworld routes are available from your home city?
Standard Chartered Cathay card earns you 20 club points for every HK$100,000 spending on the card, capped at 100 points per year.
HawaiiO likes this.
Old May 4, 2024, 3:10 am

Programs: OneWorld Emerald (BA GGL), *A Silver (Miles & Less), Skyteam Pleb (KLM FlyingBlue), Mucci Platinum
Originally Posted by AmD950
Standard Chartered Cathay card earns you 20 club points for every HK$100,000 spending on the card, capped at 100 points per year.
Interesting - I didn't know that. So the OP just needs to get that credit card and spend HK$100,000! (Or, much cheaper, just do a points run)
gwang0618 likes this.
Old May 4, 2024, 3:29 am

Programs: JL Diamond, CX Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Too much travel
Interesting - I didn't know that. So the OP just needs to get that credit card and spend HK$100,000! (Or, much cheaper, just do a points run)
It credits at a specific timeframe and will not fit into the timeframe tho.
Old May 4, 2024, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by HawaiiO

Thanks
If you are HI based like your handle then a short hop on AS or AA can get you those 5 status points
HawaiiO and JordanWalker like this.
Old May 4, 2024, 8:23 pm

Programs: CX MPC Silver (OWR)
I'm not sure if this is still a thing post-pandemic, but usually they've bumped people over to retain their status if the remaining points needed isn't too much.
Old May 4, 2024, 10:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tentseller
If you are HI based like your handle then a short hop on AS or AA can get you those 5 status points
Ya moved to Asia/Korea so AA/AS arent really possible now

The cheaper JL fares earn miles but not status pts.
Old May 5, 2024, 6:52 pm

Look at MH fares to SE Asia. Not a short hop, but the pricing is usually attractive.
HawaiiO likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.