Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

What happened to CX918 MNL-HKG 04 May?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2024, 8:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX Gold

It was cancelled. Technical problem?
Old May 4, 2024, 8:21 am
Original Poster

Sorry it was not yet cancelled as the plane full of passengers are still sitting in the tarmac.
Old May 4, 2024, 8:27 am

I don't think it is cancelled. The flight is delayed with a new departure time of 9:30pm and the inbound aircraft B-HPD landed slightly late in Manila.
Looking at the list of cancelled and delayed flights between Hong Kong and Manila and I presume it is somewhat weather related in Manila.

It is 10:20pm local time now, and PR 306, which is scheduled for a 4:45pm departure to Hong Kong, has just taxied to runway for takeoff.
CX 918 is possibly affected by weather too, either enroute or weather at Manila. Hong Kong had some heavy run this afternoon/evening so things just cleared out a bit in the past hour. Weather is possibly the reason for delays.

I checked expertflyer and other than showing the delay, they did not have any explanation of the delay.

Carfield

Last edited by Carfield; May 4, 2024 at 8:33 am
Old May 4, 2024, 8:37 am

It is 10:36pm now and CX918 has just pushed back from gate heading to Runway for takeoff.
I presume it will land in Hong Kong after midnight.

Carfield
Old May 4, 2024, 8:41 am
Original Poster

Ok the flight is taxiing now. What happens to those that will miss their connecting flights?
Old May 4, 2024, 9:19 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KFG, Marriott Plat, AccorG
Weather fine in MNL -- hot and dry. Other T3 departures (QR, EY) left on time.
Ref missed connections, they'll be rebooked on next onward flight and given hotel/meal vouchers, if needed. (Has happened to me 2x.)
boybi and dmatthew like this.
Old May 4, 2024, 9:29 am

CX 918 has finally taken off at 11:06pm and I presume it will land around1am. There were a few delayed international flights like CX 271 to Amsterdam and CX 255 to London, but I am not sure if CX will hold other flights for connecting passengers. I can just presume that CX will rebook passengers to the next flight. Filipinos can enter Hong Kong for 14 days without a visa, but since it is a weather delay, I am not sure if CX will provide free accommodations. Being in the middle of Golden Week, hotels might be very full now. Plus transportation options are not great after 1am. Taxi and some overnight local bus are the only choices now. If passengers have an early flight, it might be better to stay inside the airport. There are two food courts and both feature 24 hours outlets. There is definitely a McDonald and a Hong Kong style diner opened 24/7 at air side.

For non-locals, the weather in Hong Kong was really bad earlier this afternoon and things were very rough at the airport in afternoon hours with many diversions and circling. That is the reason for all the delays this late afternoon and evening. Yellow Rain Signals and thunderstorm warnings were hoisted for a long period of time this late afternoon and early evening. From an Uber driver this evening, he told me that things at the airport were pretty rough. He just finished a run to the airport, and things were rough.

Carfield
The _Banking_Scot and boybi like this.

Last edited by Carfield; May 4, 2024 at 9:35 am
Old May 4, 2024, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi

I was on the cx 253 hkg to lhr at 1330 this afternoon.
en route to the airport the traffic signs said red rain warning
we boarded at 1300 then told by the captain at 1330 that due to weather in mainland China there was atc slot restrictions and we had a 90min take off delay
Crew in business passed out packets of peanuts
we pushed back at 1430 and airborne at 1500
Some bumpiness for the first couple of hours ( seatbelt signs on) and crew were told to be seated just as the lunch was about to be served in business ( and stopped in other cabins) but service resumed after about 10 mins)

Regards

Tbs
boybi and Carfield like this.
Old May 4, 2024, 8:10 pm

I presume a combination of ATC delays and weather issues and aircraft rotations happened overnight. Most European flights departed two to three hours late. The first London flight CX 251 made it out almost on time but the rest of European banks were delayed. US flights were mostly on time but for CX 918, they would have missed both LAX and SFO flights but YVR was delayed till 5am, so they would be fine. Most redeye to Japan and Singapore were delayed too.

This morning the weather cleared out but first bank of flight still ran a bit late, but nothing too crazy. Hopefully things will smooth out.

It has been a very rainy Spring so far in Hong Kong.

Carfield
Old May 5, 2024, 4:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by boybi
Ok the flight is taxiing now. What happens to those that will miss their connecting flights?
HK had whole day of amber rain warning with 8hrs of it escalated to red.
Old May 6, 2024, 9:28 am

Programs: Cathay Pacific Asia Miles Korean Air Skypass Philippine Airlines Mabuhay Miles
Originally Posted by Carfield
I presume a combination of ATC delays and weather issues and aircraft rotations happened overnight. Most European flights departed two to three hours late. The first London flight CX 251 made it out almost on time but the rest of European banks were delayed. US flights were mostly on time but for CX 918, they would have missed both LAX and SFO flights but YVR was delayed till 5am, so they would be fine. Most redeye to Japan and Singapore were delayed too.

This morning the weather cleared out but first bank of flight still ran a bit late, but nothing too crazy. Hopefully things will smooth out.

It has been a very rainy Spring so far in Hong Kong.

Carfield
correct you can still make New York City JFK T8 CX844 6am arrival in JFK T8 with CX918 delay even though the airline recommends this flight from MNL terminal 3 CX902 to CX844.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.