Wiki Posts
Search

Baggage Allowance Confusion

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2024, 12:51 am
Original Poster

Baggage Allowance Confusion

Greetings, first time, long time.

I can't seem to figure out what feels to me like a confusing baggage allowance question, but I assume someone has run across before.

Myself, wife, and in lap infant are flying WLG-SFO-XXX in premium economy on a United ticketed award flight that begins on ANZ metal (WLG-AKL) and connects to United metal (AKL-SFO-XXX). The flight was booked via my United account, but put my wife and my Airpoints numbers as we are both Airpoints Gold/*G. The ticket indicates that the baggage allowance is 2 bags per person, and United indicates that you can check a car seat and pram OR wagon for free.

So the question is as follows: Will I be subject to United baggage rules or ANZ baggage rules as the check in carrier? The reason I ask is, ANZ would grant us a 3rd bag each for free (Airpoints Gold), and the ANZ infant allowance is pick two from car seat, pram, and portacot, where ideally we'd check the pram and portacot.

Many thanks for any information from those that have done this before!
zarafol likes this.
Old May 5, 2024, 1:51 am

Programs: RFC
IATA rules state that you apply the rules for the first carrier first crossing an IATA region on the ticket. That would be the carrier for the ALK-SFO segment, which you sy is UA. AKL-SFO is the first trans-region part of the flight.

Whether NZ recognises the IATA rules at check-in is another matter entirely. I'd give it 50/50.
Old May 5, 2024, 1:59 am

Programs: NZ*G, MAR Titanium, HLT Diamond
The IATA MSC rules also don't recognise loyalty status if I understand correctly so it will be interesting to know how NZ interpretate your final allowance.
Old May 5, 2024, 2:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Xiaotung
The IATA MSC rules also don't recognise loyalty status if I understand correctly so it will be interesting to know how NZ interpretate your final allowance.
I agree. All NZ (and other) tickets I have had only show just the allowance for fare/cabin, without any loyalty benefits.
Old May 5, 2024, 4:30 am

First of all, welcome to FT!

Here is the official rules on the NZ site: https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/most...ficant-carrier

MSC (most significant carrier) rules do not apply to journeys start/end in the US or Canada. Instead first marketing carrier (FMC) rules apply. In your case, that is actually NZ as it operates your first segment WLG-AKL so NZ rules should apply.

However, what is confusing is that on that site NZ stated when it is the FMC it will defer to MSC rules, which means in your case they will actually enforce the UA bag allowance as UA is the MSC. UA gives the same bag allowance to lap infant so you get 2PC for your baby anyway, which should cover both your car seat and your portacot.

And yes NZ should give you 1PC more for both you and your wife as *G. This is a *A rule and both NZ and UA are *A carriers.

There are too many wild card factors here and I genuinely don't know which way the WLG agents will swing, and will be interested in your report back. But looks like whichever way they go, you might just be fine.
Old May 5, 2024, 12:02 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

I was under the impression *G was +1 bag over rules for other carriers in the alliance but not the airline of the programme where rules are specific to each tier.
Old May 5, 2024, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by PLeblond
I was under the impression *G was +1 bag over rules for other carriers in the alliance but not the airline of the programme where rules are specific to each tier.

Here is the *A policy: https://www.staralliance.com/en/benefits-and-privileges

Extra Baggage Allowance

You can take an extra 20 kg (44 pounds) where the weight concept applies, or an extra piece where the piece concept applies.

Some airlines do not offer this benefit on individual flights but only on connecting Star Alliance flights. Within Europe on "Light" fares offered by Lufthansa, Austrian & SWISS, "Check&Go" fares offered by Brussels Airlines and “Go light” fares offered by SAS as well as on “Seat” fares offered by Air New Zealand, the extra baggage allowance is not offered.
PLeblond likes this.
Old May 5, 2024, 2:33 pm

Programs: some
Welcome to FT, northsouthflyer!

(I was interested in your final destination. XXX sounds very exciting. Is it perhaps Sin City? Then again, seeing as you're traveling with an infant it's probably nothing too naughty.)
Old May 5, 2024, 2:36 pm

Programs: RFC
Originally Posted by akl_cat
MSC (most significant carrier) rules do not apply to journeys start/end in the US or Canada. Instead first marketing carrier (FMC) rules apply. In your case, that is actually NZ as it operates your first segment WLG-AKL so NZ rules should apply.
While I've only had it be a factor twice, both times and both check in carriers (one in the US and one in NZ) applied the MSC rules. And, annoyingly, both times it worked against me at the time.

There are too many wild card factors here and I genuinely don't know which way the WLG agents will swing, and will be interested in your report back. But looks like whichever way they go, you might just be fine.
That.
Old May 5, 2024, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JamesBigglesworth
IATA rules state that you apply the rules for the first carrier first crossing an IATA region on the ticket. That would be the carrier for the ALK-SFO segment, which you sy is UA. AKL-SFO is the first trans-region part of the flight.

Whether NZ recognises the IATA rules at check-in is another matter entirely. I'd give it 50/50.
I had seen something similar to this, but not presented as clearly. Thanks for the information, we'll see how it goes. If I'm lucky, they will give me a break on the portacot and charge me for the third bags.
Old May 5, 2024, 6:16 pm
Original Poster

This makes it sound like the extra bag would be honored, which of course would be a great win.
Old May 5, 2024, 6:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JamesBigglesworth
While I've only had it be a factor twice, both times and both check in carriers (one in the US and one in NZ) applied the MSC rules. And, annoyingly, both times it worked against me at the time.

That.
Sounds like I should prepare for the worst and hope for the best. I'll bring my wallet. Appreciate your experience!
Old May 5, 2024, 6:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PLeblond
Wouldn't that work in my favour in this case, where I'm gold on ANZ, so checking in they would honour? Or am I thinking about it backwards since I used my UA account to ticket, even though my NZ FF# is attached to the booking?
Old May 6, 2024, 5:26 am
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by northsouthflyer
Wouldn't that work in my favour in this case, where I'm gold on ANZ, so checking in they would honour? Or am I thinking about it backwards since I used my UA account to ticket, even though my NZ FF# is attached to the booking?
Unfortunaltly, I see a contradiction in rules.

The U.S. DOT Rule 399.87 would indicate because your flight is O/D in North America, the MSC ruels do not apply. The ticket stock should not affect the baggage allowance rather it's the First Flight on the ticket (FMC) whose rules would apply. So whatever the rules for the WLG-AKL flight, including whatever benefits from the statuts level of the FF account on the ticket should apply.

Now...after saying all that, reading the section of NZ's Website (https://www.airnewzealand.ca/most-significant-carrier) seems to say that NZ has the choice and will apply the MSC rule.

Starting or ending in the USA or Canada: If your single-ticketed journey starts or ends in the USA or Canada (this does not include journeys that only pass through the USA or Canada), the 'first marketing carrier' decides the allowance and charges that will apply for the entire journey. They can apply their airline's rules or those of the 'most significant carrier'. Where Air New Zealand is the 'first marketing carrier' we always apply the most significant carrier's rules, which may not be our own.
Alos, you stated WLG-AKL-SFO-XXX. I assume XXX is in the US (or Canada) if not than the DOT rules would not apply and the MSC rules would apply.

Clear as mud, right?
Old May 6, 2024, 11:49 am
Original Poster

Interesting. Yes, XXX is in the US.

I've seen the DOT rule in action when flying US to NZ on a NZ ticketed flight where the first flight was AS operated. I was curtly informed that AS rules apply. So you'd think that works the other way, too.

It's still early for me, but it appears that in this case, NZ is announcing that they aren't following the DOT rule. I wonder what happens on the day?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.