Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Some international first class now branded as premium select

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2024, 3:55 am
Original Poster

I am planning a trip to Cartagena next winter and was looking into flights with a possible stopover in Bogota. Noticed something interesting or possibly a weird glitch - DL flights to BOG do not have an F cabin, just PS as the highest class. The planes are 75D versions of the 757 with the 20 domestic first seats, no D1.

The thing is when booking the PS is branded like F, but any connecting flight is sold as C+ not domestic F.

Is this a deliberate push to remove international “domestic” F service? I see regular F tickets on other routes. Playing around it seems to only be BOG and UIO that only have PS. LIM has D1 service. Caribbean destinations like BON and AUA, and even CTG have F class, it’s just those two “northern” South American cities that seem to be PS only.

Seems like an odd rebranding if limited to two cities. Has anyone come across this elsewhere?
Old May 7, 2024, 4:01 am

Programs: UA silver, Bonvoy gold
Originally Posted by Scudsone
I am planning a trip to Cartagena next winter and was looking into flights with a possible stopover in Bogota. Noticed something interesting or possibly a weird glitch - DL flights to BOG do not have an F cabin, just PS as the highest class. The planes are 75D versions of the 757 with the 20 domestic first seats, no D1.

The thing is when booking the PS is branded like F, but any connecting flight is sold as C+ not domestic F.

Is this a deliberate push to remove international “domestic” F service? I see regular F tickets on other routes. Playing around it seems to only be BOG and UIO that only have PS. LIM has D1 service. Caribbean destinations like BON and AUA, and even CTG have F class, it’s just those two “northern” South American cities that seem to be PS only.

Seems like an odd rebranding if limited to two cities. Has anyone come across this elsewhere?
DL really need sto restore domestic F connections on PS tickets. Just go back to using the PS fare buckets like they originally did.

If PS is considered a higher cabin than F, then connections should be in domestic F
rylan, bloc0102, BNATiger and 1 others like this.
Old May 7, 2024, 4:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's not that odd as they've been doing this for several years on KEF routes when they are served by domestic FC 757s. Currently DTW/MSP-KEF have them (while JFK-KEF is flown on 763s). BOG and UIO are served by a mix of domestic FC and D1 equipment and it simplifies marketing and fares (you only need PS and D1 fares, instead of FC, PS, and D1 fares). The other destinations you mentioned are served exclusively by domestic FC equipment and do not have same issue. You are reading too much into it.
Mr. Tickets, dw, hhdl and 1 others like this.

Last edited by xliioper; May 7, 2024 at 5:26 am
Old May 7, 2024, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Unitedloyalflyer
DL really need sto restore domestic F connections on PS tickets. Just go back to using the PS fare buckets like they originally did.

If PS is considered a higher cabin than F, then connections should be in domestic F
Agreed. Its pretty crappy to be on an expensive PS ticket and be in C+ for the domestic connection(s)... especially if some sucker pays for a P fare.
I'm sure it would cause even more confusion with DL's fare buckets and ticketing system etc... but perhaps P fare should also give domestic first if F/D/C is available (basically last seat). A would map to I, and G would map to Z... if bucket isn't available then it books the connection into W for C+.
ohhleary and Unitedloyalflyer like this.
Old May 7, 2024, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by xliioper
It's not that odd as they've been doing this for several years on KEF routes when they are served by domestic FC 757s. Currently DTW/MSP-KEF have them (while JFK-KEF is flown on 763s). BOG and UIO are served by a mix of domestic FC and D1 equipment and it simplifies marketing and fares (you only need PS and D1 fares, instead of FC, PS, and D1 fares). The other destinations you mentioned are served exclusively by domestic FC equipment and do not have same issue. You are reading too much into it.
I recently had a flight to UIO that was booked as domestic F and changed to D1 when they changed equipment from a 757 to a 763. If the fare starts as PS on a 757, would it stay PS if equipment is changed to a 3 cabin 763?
Old May 7, 2024, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
I am planning a trip to Cartagena next winter and was looking into flights with a possible stopover in Bogota. Noticed something interesting or possibly a weird glitch - DL flights to BOG do not have an F cabin, just PS as the highest class. The planes are 75D versions of the 757 with the 20 domestic first seats, no D1 and routes to places in the Mexico/Caribbean/Central America/South America) being sold as “F” (not PS) receive a US-domestic First product and experience, not “International F.”

Your thread title is confusing because “International F” is its own product that is above and beyond international Business Class” (such as AA Flagship First or AF’s “La Premiere”). What DL has on a route like this is equivalent to US domestic F, not international F.

As for booking into C+ on the domestic segments where there is no PS-marketed cabin, that’s the same for every other US carrier and as far as I know, the same for non-US carriers too and their PE tickets as well (you may not even move into a Y+ seat with some carriers - just get standard Y).

Last edited by ATOBTTR; May 7, 2024 at 11:10 am
Old May 7, 2024, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rylan
Agreed. Its pretty crappy to be on an expensive PS ticket and be in C+ for the domestic connection(s)... especially if some sucker pays for a P fare.
I'm sure it would cause even more confusion with DL's fare buckets and ticketing system etc... but perhaps P fare should also give domestic first if F/D/C is available (basically last seat). A would map to I, and G would map to Z... if bucket isn't available then it books the connection into W for C+.
Domestic FC classes are J/C/D/I/Z (the same as D1). Given that neither AA nor UA book into FC on domestic segs of international PE fares, I'd say chances are pretty much zero that DL will bring it back.
dw likes this.
Old May 7, 2024, 10:57 am

Domestic FC classes are J/C/D/I/Z (the same as D1). Given that neither AA nor UA book into FC on domestic segs of international PE fares, I'd say chances are pretty much zero that DL will bring it back.
the problem is on these routes where only PS and Y are available. There is no option for domestic F
ijgordon and MCO Flyer like this.
Old May 7, 2024, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
As mentioned, KEF has been like this for a while. I agree that it makes it completely unbookable with a domestic connection.
MCO Flyer and Spiff like this.
Old May 7, 2024, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by rylan
Beyond the confusion for the ticketing system, it's going to drive even more confusion and frustration for the average passenger who is only booking a cabin and doesn't know about, care about, or understand fare buckets. Instead DL would be dealing with complaints of "Last time I booked PS my domestic segment was in First Class. Why is it in coach on this trip and on my next trip in First Class again?" and some poor agent (who also may not even fully understand fare buckets themselves depending on their own knowledge and experience level) will be trying to explain fare buckets to said passengers.

Also, as previously noted, DL has little reason to put their PE passengers in F on the domestic segments when their direct competition doesn't. If domestic F is that important to someone, they can book as a Multi-City or Separate tickets or look for a buy-up offer (that may or may not be reasonable). I did the multi-city to get F on the continental segment of a PE ticket on AA to Hawaii for an upcoming trip.
Old May 7, 2024, 11:41 am

Programs: DL Plat, 1 MM; SPG LT Plat (RIP); Marriott LT Titanium; Fairmont Plat (RIP), DL Kryptonium Medallion
I think there is a bigger story here.
I started a dummy booking ATL-BOG, and it doesn't seem like this route is eligible for a complimentary elite upgrade to PS.
I am wondering if Delta intends to eliminate complimentary upgrades on any international short-distance flight that has a domestic F seat, by rebranding the F seat as a PS seat.
The tick boxes under "Request Upgrade" are "First Class / Delta Premium Select (Domestic Only)" and "Delta Comfort+". One would have to use a RUC or GUC
This is a major devaluation.
ohhleary and ryw like this.

Last edited by Spent_All_My_Miles; May 7, 2024 at 11:48 am
Old May 7, 2024, 11:49 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
Beyond the confusion for the ticketing system, it's going to drive even more confusion and frustration for the average passenger who is only booking a cabin and doesn't know about, care about, or understand fare buckets. Instead DL would be dealing with complaints of "Last time I booked PS my domestic segment was in First Class. Why is it in coach on this trip and on my next trip in First Class again?" and some poor agent (who also may not even fully understand fare buckets themselves depending on their own knowledge and experience level) will be trying to explain fare buckets to said passengers.

Also, as previously noted, DL has little reason to put their PE passengers in F on the domestic segments when their direct competition doesn't. If domestic F is that important to someone, they can book as a Multi-City or Separate tickets or look for a buy-up offer (that may or may not be reasonable). I did the multi-city to get F on the continental segment of a PE ticket on AA to Hawaii for an upcoming trip.
When PS isn’t the highest class of service, it makes sense not to give Domestic F on connecting legs but when it’s the highest cabin of service offered (on the 757s) it should definitely include Domestic F on connecting legs as there’s no way to buy a ticket that would include Domestic F.
ijgordon likes this.
Old May 7, 2024, 11:51 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Yes but AA and UA don’t brand their Domestic F product as Premium Economy on short haul International flights (like KEF and BOG) either. Those flights should definitely include Domestic F on the connecting legs but they don’t despite literally being Domestic F seats, just branded differently.
Old May 7, 2024, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
Yes but AA and UA don’t brand their Domestic F product as Premium Economy on short haul International flights (like KEF and BOG) either. Those flights should definitely include Domestic F on the connecting legs but they don’t despite literally being Domestic F seats, just branded differently.
UA does most certainly call their transAtlantic flights as O when the 737 is flown. Only lie flats are called J. PDL only has O-Y service. AC is the same

So far its different to other markets
Old May 7, 2024, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
Your thread title is confusing because “International F” is its own product that is above and beyond international Business Class” (such as AA Flagship First or AF’s “La Premiere”). What DL has on a route like this is equivalent to US domestic F, not international F.

As for booking into C+ on the domestic segments where there is no PS-marketed cabin, that’s the same for every other US carrier and as far as I know, the same for non-US carriers too and their PE tickets as well (you may not even move into a Y+ seat with some carriers - just get standard Y).
Yes, AA and AF and KE all have proper first class, but I’m pretty sure I posted this on the Delta forum, not any of those. Bogota is in Columbia, and Quito is in Ecuador, both of which are countries other than the United States, thus those flights are international.

Other carriers may treat PE fares as Y+ equivalent… and European carriers call it business when it’s just a blocked middle seat Y+ seat… the world is a crazy place but again, I’m really just concerned with Delta.
moondog likes this.

Last edited by Scudsone; May 7, 2024 at 12:42 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.