Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Unable to board, Passport check at the gate

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2024, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Hello experts!

On all my recent BA flights, on the return flight back to London my boarding pass has beeped red at the gate with “unable to board” and the agents will take my passport and press a few buttons on the computer before I can board. I think there was a message in the app saying my passport would need to be checked at the airport due to rules of my destination country (the UK). But no one else seems to have this problem and I also don’t have this problem departing London. Anyone know what’s going on here?
Old May 7, 2024, 10:49 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Are you connecting HBO?

"Normal" people who aren't Flyertalkers usually get checked when dropping off baggage or checking in.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old May 7, 2024, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Yes I do the mobile boarding passes in the app and don’t check any luggage, but I assumed most other people did the same. Guess not.
Old May 7, 2024, 11:11 am

Programs: BA Gold
I have the same thing every time flying USA-UK. If you just get the mobile boarding pass, it'll say when checking in 'Your documents must be checked at the airport'. You won't be able to board until you see a BA agent. If you hang around the gate area they'll usually call you by name before boarding starts. In DFW, it used to be there were BA agents in the AA Flagship lounge that could do this, but that's not the case anymore. I always allow a few extra minutes to see the gate agent before boarding.

Departing London to the USA the same thing happens, but you'll get your documents checked before you can go through security (in the first wing, they can do it in the counter just before the security entrance, or sometimes send you to a desk).
Old May 7, 2024, 11:26 am

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
I have it 95% of the time between US and UK too even though I am gold and have all in the app.
I also had it in a few other countries on BA and AA ticket stock.
Old May 7, 2024, 12:44 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
USA to UK is a DHS requirement to scan, it's used to determine your length of stay since you appeared at CBP and replaces the cards stapled into passports after arrival. If you check-in luggage the passport is scanned there, some places they can do it in the lounge (SFO, JFK, BOS for example) other places they do it at the gate to anyone who is HBO. Some places with high transfer numbers - ORD, PHL - go to some effort to identify people who need scanning well before boarding since the system can't cope with too many people being scanned at the gate in time for boarding, given the new biometric boarding process.

Elsewhere:
Generally if FLY holds incorrect or missing passport details then it will give this message on non CTA flights, so the OP may want to check their profile / API to ensure there isn't a missing piece of data / month-date swap and the like. It's not inefficient to do it at the gate, but if it happens every place in say Europe then that is the reason.
flight125 likes this.
Old May 7, 2024, 12:46 pm

Programs: BAEC, QRPC, Amex MR, World of Hyatt, IHG one rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, etc…
Originally Posted by CJ91
Hello experts!

On all my recent BA flights, on the return flight back to London my boarding pass has beeped red at the gate with “unable to board” and the agents will take my passport and press a few buttons on the computer before I can board. I think there was a message in the app saying my passport would need to be checked at the airport due to rules of my destination country (the UK). But no one else seems to have this problem and I also don’t have this problem departing London. Anyone know what’s going on here?
do you hold a UK passport or EU perhaps?
Old May 7, 2024, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Exit row?
Old May 7, 2024, 1:12 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

I believe this is more than just USA<-->UK. Same thing happened to a friend flying with me from Mexico to Canada.

I assumed the airline must confirm you have the proper physical document to enter a country with you at the airport before boarding a flight or they are responsible for flying you back, though in this case as Canadians they can't really refuse us entry even without a passport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.