Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fare bucket newbie questions

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2024, 9:53 pm
Original Poster

Fare bucket newbie questions

Hi I've been monitoring flights to Sydney from regional airports in NZ and can't make head or tail of how pricing works.

For example, all week some $427 L class fares have been available TRG-SYD but every so often these don't show up in the search and instead only T class $447 is available.

I know that there is some dynamic pricing shenanigans going on here, and all week that I've been looking at this the price can fluctuate between $427 and $447.

However this morning I tried to book 7 pax and was offered the $427 L class - now only $447 T is available.

I guess it is possible that 7 TRG-AKL fares have sold today but really I'm just expecting to see tomorrow that $427 L fares are available again.

This is not only confusing it really messes with the head and confidence to book flights. Is this just standard?
Old May 7, 2024, 10:18 pm

When you were doing the dummy searches, were you always searching for 7 pax or were you just searching for 1? If you are booking multiple pax on the booking, then they will all have to be on the same fare class. For example if there were only 6 seats left at L, when you search for 1-6 pax you can see the L fare. But as soon as you bump it up to 7 pax then you can only see the next fare class up that has 7 seats left, which may, but not always, be T.

It is quite possible that there were only 7 seats left at L for TRG-AKL, and only 1 got sold. But as you are booking for 7 you automatically see only T.

Equally possible that it is just dynamic pricing tactics. The only way to find out is to do a dummy booking for a smaller party and see if it makes a difference.
Old May 7, 2024, 10:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by akl_cat
When you were doing the dummy searches, were you always searching for 7 pax or were you just searching for 1? If you are booking multiple pax on the booking, then they will all have to be on the same fare class. For example if there were only 6 seats left at L, when you search for 1-6 pax you can see the L fare. But as soon as you bump it up to 7 pax then you can only see the next fare class up that has 7 seats left, which may, but not always, be T.

It is quite possible that there were only 7 seats left at L for TRG-AKL, and only 1 got sold. But as you are booking for 7 you automatically see only T.

Equally possible that it is just dynamic pricing tactics. The only way to find out is to do a dummy booking for a smaller party and see if it makes a difference.
I'm aware of the pax having to be on the same fare class from domestic bookings. Annoying when you have 1 less fare available than your party and then have to split the booking if you want the lower class.

I was making dummy searches of 1, 5, 9, etc until I found the "break point" which happened to be 7 on today's search. I'm pretty sure one day in the past week I found that 9 still had me on L (I couldn't do more than 9 as you will be aware).
Old May 7, 2024, 10:41 pm
Original Poster

Side note that I'm so confused that on one day there is a GAS $315 (P) option that offers more APD and SPs than the $318 (V/F) option
Old May 8, 2024, 12:24 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
There is absolutely nothing out of the ordinary happening here..

You wanted to learn about airline ticketing? You certainly won't do that in a week, it's something that takes years unless you work in the industry where you might begin to understand things a little quicker.

Unless you understand married fares you won't understand why prices change.
Old May 8, 2024, 8:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LyingFlat
If you've been in the industry for 10+ years like me the question should be "how could you ever forget all the fare classes and their relative order?"

FYI, for NZ, these are the order of booking classes (flexi/saver etc is more for international travel as domestic is a bit more variable):

Business:
C = Flexi
D = Flexi
Z = Saver
J = Saver
R = APDU/RU/OneUp/Staff Duty Travel
I = Star Alliance Award/Star Alliance Upgrade Award

Premium Economy:
U = Flexi
E = Saver
O = Saver/Star Alliance Award/Staff Duty Travel
A = Saver/APDU/RU/OneUp

Economy:
Y = Flexi
B = Flexi
M = Flexi
H = Flexi
Q = Saver
V = Saver
W = Saver
T = Saver
L = Saver
S = Saver
G = Saver
X = Saver/Star Alliance Award
P = Saver
F = Saver/Grabaseat
N = Staff Duty Travel/Staff Leisure Travel
Being reposted in a fare bucket thread for reference purposes
Old May 8, 2024, 10:55 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by 40love
Being reposted in a fare bucket thread for reference purposes
FYI this is largely irrelevant in relation to your actual question about why fares keep changing.
Old May 8, 2024, 10:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbiddle
FYI this is largely irrelevant in relation to your actual question about why fares keep changing.
Thanks for that. Yeah I was just unable to search for the amazing fare bucket list easily as it was embedded in the F class question thread so reposted it here for future search engines.
Old May 9, 2024, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

Still looking and scanning. Why is PE cheaper ($722 - Y/A) than Seat ($762 - H) on the same flight? The table above suggests that the $762 fare is "flexi" but the booking portal doesn't imply any flexibility.
Old May 9, 2024, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Still looking and scanning. Why is PE cheaper ($722 - Y/A) than Seat ($762 - H) on the same flight? The table above suggests that the $762 fare is "flexi" but the booking portal doesn't imply any flexibility.
H class economy is fully flexible, A class is PE Saver with less flexibility - that explains the fare difference. To see the fare type, you need to expand the flight details and that will show the fare class and fare type with a hyperlink to the conditions.
Old May 9, 2024, 5:01 pm

Programs: RFC
Because pricing is often dynamic *within* a class, and the marketing label has exactly zero to do with the fare rules?
Old May 9, 2024, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
H class economy is fully flexible, A class is PE Saver with less flexibility - that explains the fare difference. To see the fare type, you need to expand the flight details and that will sloe the fare class and fare type with a hyperlink to the conditions.

Old May 9, 2024, 6:50 pm

It's not uncommon to this see with PE being similar or cheaper than full economy. It's often around school holiday travel where families are buying up Y seats pushing into the higher buckets while PE largely remains unsold creating the discrepancy
Old May 9, 2024, 6:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by racekp
It's not uncommon to this see with PE being similar or cheaper than full economy. It's often around school holiday travel where families are buying up Y seats pushing into the higher buckets while PE largely remains unsold creating the discrepancy
I didn't notice the "fully refundable" in the grey on black but I did cotton onto the difference in fare class. It's just a bit confusing as a newbie given that flexibility is sold within the fare product domestically but for TT flexibility is sold as an (expensive) add-on. So therefore I didn't expect flexibility to be in the "Seat" product given this background. I'm aware of the upcoming June changes to the products and flexibility being sold within fare products.
Old May 9, 2024, 7:38 pm

I didn't notice the "fully refundable" in the grey on black but I did cotton onto the difference in fare class. It's just a bit confusing as a newbie given that flexibility is sold within the fare product domestically but for TT flexibility is sold as an (expensive) add-on. So therefore I didn't expect flexibility to be in the "Seat" product given this background. I'm aware of the upcoming June changes to the products and flexibility being sold within fare products.
Domestically it is not in the fare it is an add-on as well. Just presented differently.

Also not 100% sure why so focused on fare buckets.

Domestically just look at the price and which product.

Internationally look at the price& conditions.

Getting bogged down in the weeds isn't going to help really.

AirNZ with their backend system & how they do add-ons booking class is more a legacy hangover than something customers need to worry about

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.