Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Athens {GRC}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2019, 8:59 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by RedSun
Since we were busy touring, we did not stay a lot of time at hotel room. I do not see any need to book anything like King George or GB in the dead city center. It is just a waste of points or $$.

Staying in the GB or King George is part of the whole Athenian experience for us. I would pick these two or a small boutique hotel in the Plaka any day over what I consider the 1960's-style, misplaced Hilton.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 11:47 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by david55
Staying in the GB or King George is part of the whole Athenian experience for us. I would pick these two or a small boutique hotel in the Plaka any day over what I consider the 1960's-style, misplaced Hilton.
Just not me. I'd stay away from hotel room if we can. So we can explore the city better. Hotel is only the place to rest and it does not command the high price (points) the top fancy hotels command.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 7:37 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Hilton Athens, My Best Choice in Athens

Hilton Athens

Map| 3 Reviews | 67% Recommended

Hilton Athens

Leof. Vasilissis Sofias 46 Athens, GR

Hilton Athens, My Best Choice in Athens (22 Photos)

Hilton Athens

As promised, here is the full review.

Before the trip, I researched several hotels in Athens, mostly Marriott, Hyatt and IHG.  Both Marriott and Hyatt are in not so good locations.  The King George and Grand Bretagne command 500-600 Euro or 60,000 points per night.  Way over priced for my taste.  I also booked the Marriott NEW Hotel in Plaka area. But the room is small and can only accomodate up to 2 people each room.  And I do not like the fancy decor of the guest rooms.

So I finally settled on the Hilton Athens.  The main reasons are locatioin and the fact that I like to empty my HH points.

After the trip, I feel this is one of the best choice I made.  Never any regret.

Check In

We took the taxi from the airport to hotel.  We could have taken either the train or bus.  But since we have luggage and we are a family, train or bus fares won't save us anything.

At check-in, we were upgraded to club level room on the 11th floor.  The room was not ready (at about noon time), so the staff gave us the access key to the club lounge for drink and some light snack.  It is good.

Front desk:

IMG_5876.JPG

Front entrance:

IMG_5874.JPG

Front:

IMG_5875.JPG

To Byzantino restaurant:

IMG_5880.JPG

Room

Our room is on the club level 11th floor.  We were on the city side since the Acropolis side was all full.  There is an outdoor patio and the view is good.

IMG_5877.JPG

IMG_5878.JPG

IMG_5883.JPG

1_IMG_5884.JPG

Service

Both front desk, bell service and club lounge staff have done a good job.  No complaints.

Dining

The breakfast was included.  You can have breakfast either inside the club lounge, or at the Byzantino restaurant.  Byzantino is much better.

IMG_6005.JPG

IMG_6008.JPG

IMG_6009.JPG

IMG_6011.JPG

IMG_6012.JPG

IMG_6014.JPG

The club lounge offers evening snack, beer, wine and some hard drinks.  The food was light, but the beer was great.

IMG_5920.JPG

The best part of the hotel is its location.  It is at the East side of the city center, closer to the airport.  It is like 10-15 minutes walk to Syntagma Square, but it is just 5 Euro taxi ride.  x95 bus to airport is just outside the hotel entrance.  The train station is just on the other side of the road.  

If you like the crowd, sure choose the KG or GB, or even the Marriott New Hotel in Plaka.  But we need to catch an early flight to a greek island, so I chose the Hilton instead.  To me, this is a better choice than the other hotels.  The cost was like 49,000 points each night.  Well worth it.

From the roof top bar area, you can see the Acropolis in the distance.

DSC_0303.JPG

DSC_0323.JPG

Overall

Since we only stayed at Athens for a couple of days and we spent most of the time outside, I did not feel to book a huge luxury hotel just to sleep.  Hilton fits our needs very nicely with the good location, decent club lounge and excellent breakfast.

I highly recommend it.

Pool

The hotel has a small indoor pool and a very large outdoor pool.

1_DSC_0305.JPG

1_DSC_0306.JPG

1_IMG_6142.JPG

1_IMG_6143.JPG

Gym

1_IMG_6144.JPG

Hilton Athens, My Best Choice in Athens

Would you like to write a review on the Hilton Athens?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Dec 27, 2019, 5:17 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I’ve a couple of questions about by upcoming 3 night New Year stay at this property with the family.

I’m diamond and have booked two standard rooms with occupancy of 3 in each room (We are mum/dad and child x 2)

The hotel appears lightly occupied with all room categories and most suites available at prices similar or lower to what I paid.

Upgrades: Been diamond for 6 months now and still never had a suite upgrade - could this be the first? Also, when a diamond books 2 rooms, are upgrades ever extended to the 2nd room?

Breakfast / Exec Lounge Access: On a recent 2 room trip to Vienna, we got (and were delighted with) the basic level room we booked. Front desk were full of apologies that the hotel was full and no upgrades were available, but did offer to extend breakfast (main or exec) to both rooms. If we don’t secure any kind of upgrade, should I expect/hope for a similar offer in Athens?

Additional Connecting Room: Assuming we don’t land a suite, is it worth asking to buy an additional connecting room for the kids? And if so, would it likely be the standard rate or is there likely to be cheaper family room rate?

Thanks for any feedback
Old Dec 27, 2019, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by kingcole974
I’ve a couple of questions about by upcoming 3 night New Year stay at this property with the family.

I’m diamond and have booked two standard rooms with occupancy of 3 in each room (We are mum/dad and child x 2)

The hotel appears lightly occupied with all room categories and most suites available at prices similar or lower to what I paid.

Upgrades: Been diamond for 6 months now and still never had a suite upgrade - could this be the first? Also, when a diamond books 2 rooms, are upgrades ever extended to the 2nd room?

Breakfast / Exec Lounge Access: On a recent 2 room trip to Vienna, we got (and were delighted with) the basic level room we booked. Front desk were full of apologies that the hotel was full and no upgrades were available, but did offer to extend breakfast (main or exec) to both rooms. If we don’t secure any kind of upgrade, should I expect/hope for a similar offer in Athens?

Additional Connecting Room: Assuming we don’t land a suite, is it worth asking to buy an additional connecting room for the kids? And if so, would it likely be the standard rate or is there likely to be cheaper family room rate?

Thanks for any feedback
With regards to the connecting rooms...why not just contact the hotel and ask them for such? It is a common request with families and I am sure they will accommodate you w/o an additional charge. They probably do have a family rate.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 7:42 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Review: Hilton Athens

Hilton Athens

Map| 3 Reviews | 67% Recommended

Hilton Athens

Leof. Vasilissis Sofias 46 Athens, GR

Review: Hilton Athens (17 Photos)

Hilton Athens

Hilton Athens is an iconic building that stands prominently at the intersection of Vassilissis Sofias Avenue and Vasileos Alexandrou Avenue, opposite the National Gallery of Athens.

DSCF0255.JPG

Upon entering the hotel through the main entrance on Vassilissis Sofias Avenue, the front desk is situated on the left side of the big and brightly lit lobby. There is also a priority desk for Hilton Honors Diamond and Gold members on the right side of the lobby.

DSCF0324.JPG

I was greeted and welcomed by the friendly front desk staff. The check-in process was done efficiently.

Room

I booked a standard guest room. As a Hilton Honors Diamond member, I was allocated a twin room on the same floor as the Executive Lounge (11th floor) with a balcony and view of the Acropolis. The room was clean and comfortable.

DSCF0247-1.jpg

DSCF0253.JPG

A welcome gift (a bottle of Faré red wine) and a welcome card were placed inside the room.

DSCF0244.JPG

Outside on the balcony there was a table with two chairs, which was a perfect place to enjoy a view of the Acropolis.

DSCF0252-2.jpg

DSCF0315.JPG

Although the room overlooked Vassilissis Sofias Avenue, it was not too noisy and I managed to get a good night’s sleep.

The bathroom was decorated with marble and had a bathtub and a separate shower box.

DSCF0240.JPG

DSCF0243.JPG

Executive Lounge

The Executive Lounge is situated on the 11th floor and is open daily from 6am to 10pm (though it is closed for cleaning weekdays 11 to 11:30am and weekends 11:30am to noon).

DSCF0322.JPG

DSCF0326.JPG

There is also outdoor seating available on the balconies with a view of the Acropolis.

DSCF0329.JPG

The staff in the Executive Lounge were friendly and willing to help.

Happy Hour drinks and canapes are available from 6 to 8pm. The drinks selection consisted of Symbosia red and white wine, beer and spirits (whisky, vodka, gin), as well as soft drinks, tea and coffee. The food selection was quite limited. There was 1 hot food item (during my stay, the first evening it was braised salmon, and seafood paella the following evening), as well as some sandwiches, salad and olives.

DSCF0320.JPG

DSCF0321.JPG

Breakfast is available in the Executive Lounge from 6:30am until 10:30am on weekdays and 11am on weekends, with a selection of continental breakfast items (cold cuts, smoked salmon, pastries, bread, yoghurt, cereal), as well as a few hot cooked food items. A much wider spread is offered in the Byzantino restaurant.

DSCF0328.JPG

Breakfast in the Byzantino restaurant

The breakfast buffet is available in the Byzantino restaurant situated on the ground floor by the lobby on weekdays between 6 and 10:30am and on weekends and public holidays between 6 and 11am. There is an extensive selection of high-quality food available, from continental breakfast items to hot cooked food, from cold cuts and fruit to Greek pastries and omelettes. In short, there was something to suit all tastes.

DSCF0332.JPG

DSCF0331.JPG

Facilities

The fitness centre and the Hiltonia Spa are situated in the basement of the hotel.

The indoor pool, jacuzzi, sauna and steam room are open on weekdays from 6am to 11pm and on weekends from 8am to 9pm. Access to the indoor pool is free of charge for Hilton Honors Silver, Gold and Diamond members and Executive level/suite guests, otherwise there is a charge of EUR 15 per person.

A 360-degree virtual tour is available at https://www.hiltonathens.gr/360tour/

The 25-metre outdoor pool is open from May to October.

The hotel is very conveniently located around 5 minutes’ walk from Evangelismos metro station (which is connected directly to Athens airport on metro line 3).

Bus X95 to/from Athens airport also stops in front of the hotel.

Overall

Overall, Hilton Athens is a functional, modern hotel. I would not hesitate to return there when I next visit Athens. However, if there is one area for improvement, it would be the evening canapes during Happy Hour in the Executive Lounge.

Review: Hilton Athens

Would you like to write a review on the Hilton Athens?

No, thank you.
Yes
Resolution and Warriorconcept like this.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 2:30 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Finnair Plus Platinum, TAP Silver, EB Silver, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond, NCH Platinum , BW Diamond
The latest information I got today regarding the "corona exceptions" in Hilton Athens:

"Kindly be informed that Executive Lounge is currently closed and for now food and beverage offerings are not provided in other venues. However we are in the process of finalizing which offerings will be re-implemented and we can advise you via email as soon as this information is released. In regards to breakfast please note that currently it is served in Oasis Pool Bar & Restaurant in individual boxes and it is provided on complimentary basis for Executive floor room bookings.

Regarding the pool please note that due to new Health & Safety regulations only the outdoor pool is operating."
englisha likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2020, 8:37 am

Thanks for the information. We are (hopefully) staying at the beginning of september. Fingers crossed the food & beverage situation improves by then!
Old Aug 2, 2020, 8:50 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK Elite, Hilton Diamond
I wrote to them last week and the reply was as follows :Greetings from Hilton Athens!

With regards to your request, we regret to inform you that Executive Lounge will remain closed until further notice.

However, outdoor swimming pool operates daily 8AM to 8PM and we are offering our Hilton Honors Diamond members a complimentary voucher for drink (coffee/tea or wine or soft drink or beer) at Oasis Pool Bar & Grill.

Moreover, please note that since the restaurants are still closed, the breakfast is served in individual boxes either from Room Service or from Oasis Pool Bar & Grill.

Should you wish to make a booking, we will be happy to assist you.
Old Aug 2, 2020, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by englisha
I wrote to them last week and the reply was as follows :Greetings from Hilton Athens!

With regards to your request, we regret to inform you that Executive Lounge will remain closed until further notice.

However, outdoor swimming pool operates daily 8AM to 8PM and we are offering our Hilton Honors Diamond members a complimentary voucher for drink (coffee/tea or wine or soft drink or beer) at Oasis Pool Bar & Grill.

Moreover, please note that since the restaurants are still closed, the breakfast is served in individual boxes either from Room Service or from Oasis Pool Bar & Grill.

Should you wish to make a booking, we will be happy to assist you.

Yikes.... that sounds depressing.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I noticed the owners have all Marriott and this is the only Hilton. I can't imagine it has long left in the brand.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 12:43 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by kingcole974
I contacted their reservations as we have a similar issue in the fall this year: they can manuall reserve you a second room at 50% of the price for the first room. The lowest flex rate that allows this is about 180€, so it comes out to 270-300€ for two rooms. I had reserved that when the resevration team returned from the lockdonw on July 1, but switched to the dreams promotion rate of 127€/room this week.
Old Sep 12, 2020, 9:46 am

Programs: HH Diamond
Currently Situation:

Lounge is closed - Diamond will get a drink at the pool bar
Restaurant is closed - there is a limited breakfast at the pool bar
Rooms are cleared empty. No Minibar. No water (you will get a plasic bottle at check-in).

All in all: I would avoid it. Felt not very welcome besides.
yurtripper likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 5:47 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by hugolover
I noticed the owners have all Marriott and this is the only Hilton. I can't imagine it has long left in the brand.
This really doesn't mean anything! It's been in the Hilton portfolio for a long time....if Wiki is right since 1963!!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hilton_Athens
Old Sep 16, 2020, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by christianj
This really doesn't mean anything! It's been in the Hilton portfolio for a long time....if Wiki is right since 1963!!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hilton_Athens
I went to college in Athens for my junior year in 1977. At that time the hotel was out of the hub of Athens...standing by itself as the tallest building on the horizon. It was the only place in Athens to get an " american-style" cheeseburger but too expensive on a student budget.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.